• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    Ok...so I decided to do a mass quantity of 223 brass of different manufacturers....REM, FC,PMC and miltary...I removed the crimp from the military brass and some others, but when I got to the FC brass with crimps they would take the primer with the crimp still in and look no different than ones without the crimp...I looked on line to find out exactly why the crimp is removed and of course all that was said was the crimp would not seat and crush the primer...I got that, but if they seat right shouldn't they be ok to prime and load'em up...Thanks for any input...

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If they seat you are good.

My Lee manual says that it is actually possible to seat a primer into a crimp. It says it takes a bit of pressure, but it will go. I would imagine you could crush some that way and wouldn't try it, though.

When removing crimps from various head stamps, I have notice some crimps are looser than others.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have noticed some, when processing mixed brass, that still won't take a primer after running them through my Dillon Super Swage. Have to chamfer the primer pocket, a tick.
    And no, I haven't paid attention to what head stamp they were yet. Lol I need to.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Best to use the removal tool with a chamfer on the tool. Lyman (by example) has a good design. Don't really know about the others.

By the way, it's true, some crimps will let you seat a primer. Some are tougher. Every once in a while some end up just not working.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Processed some once fired Lake City 5.56 brass today. A few of the primer pockets were too shallow for CCI-450's.
    Fortunately the tool was at hand to fix that. But, it's something I'd just not run into before.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Processed some once fired Lake City 5.56 brass today. A few of the primer pockets were too shallow for CCI-450's.
    Fortunately the tool was at hand to fix that. But, it's something I'd just not run into before.

Never ran into that with Lake City, but did just recently find a few that were a bit shallow in .35 Remington (some really old mixed once-fired brass), very frustrating because I thought something was wrong with my priming tool, shellholder, or primers. After a bit of investigating I figured out it was only a few certain cases, but a reamer fixed them permanently!

Top Bottom