• ...and so much more!
  • Eorrick

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Hello everyone. I just acquired an US Rifle M1917 Remington dated to be October 1918. The receiver serial number matches the bolt numbers but the bolt is a Winchester. Was this common back then?

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Yes, when they rebuilt in arsenals after the war the armorers would just grab a bolt out of the bin for a rifle during the rebuild process. They weren’t concerned about making sure everything “matched.”

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have an M1917 Remington made in November 1918 with all original matching parts, and it has a Winchester bolt.

Last edited:

Eorrick

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Thought I was crazy lol. I’ve researched and it seems Winchester stopped making them before Remington did so they sold the parts to Remington. Another story is arsenal rebuilds marked the bolts and didn’t try to match makers. Lastly I read in the lend lease some countries marked replacement bolts but who knows.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thought I was crazy lol. I’ve researched and it seems Winchester stopped making them before Remington did so they sold the parts to Remington. Another story is arsenal rebuilds marked the bolts and didn’t try to match makers. Lastly I read in the lend lease some countries marked replacement bolts but who knows.

I didn't know Winchester stopped making them before Remington, but it makes sense of one way they got their parts.

My M1917 has matching number stamped into the bolt handle with no sign of any others.
    Mine also still has the original blued finish with original barrel and no signs of being an arsenal rebuild.
    It also has good headspace and bore, and still doesn't even close on the NOGO gauge.

I ALSO have another February 1918 M1917 that's an Eddystone with the original barrel and finish.
    The bolt is an Eddystone but the number doesn't match on the bolt.

This one was at one time a "Home Guard" rifle in Britain(?) with the red stripe painted around the end of the handguard, with "30-06" in black letters on it.
    It also has good headspace and bore, and still doesn't even close on the NOGO gauge.

IN ADDITION, I have bayonets with scabbards for these also.
    They have a blade that's about 18" long.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    There were no serial numbers applied to the bolts of Model 1917 Rifles when originally manufactured. Consequently, any serial numbers on a bolt were applied at a later date and could involve parts from any manufacturer. It is still much more common to see rifle bolts without serial numbers than to see them with it.

I don't know who applied the numbers, it was not a standard practice during the US military rebuild process, although that doesn't rule out the possibility of it being done by a military unit of some kind. Considering that large numbers of these rifles were supplied to friendly nations, I suspect that a foreign country is likely the source of the markings.

You might check the butt stock to see if you can find an arrow with a letter "C" around it. I'm pretty sure the Canadians added serial numbers to the bolts of rifles we supplied to them during WWII.

Pictures would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    There were no serial numbers applied to the bolts of Model 1917 Rifles when originally manufactured. Consequently, any serial numbers on a bolt were applied at a later date and could involve parts from any manufacturer. It is still much more common to see rifle bolts without serial numbers than to see them with it.

I don't know who applied the numbers, it was not a standard practice during the US military rebuild process, although that doesn't rule out the possibility of it being done by a military unit of some kind. Considering that large numbers of these rifles were supplied to friendly nations, I suspect that a foreign country is likely the source of the markings.

You might check the butt stock to see if you can find an arrow with a letter "C" around it. I'm pretty sure the Canadians added serial numbers to the bolts of rifles we supplied to them during WWII.

This......the US did not stamp serial numbers on the M1917 bolts when originally manufactured, unlike the P14's built for the British.

I'm guessing, as stated before, that they were either doing a match quantity of parts after production shut down, or an armorer rebuild later in life.

I have read somewhere that a lot of the Winchester rifles were later disassembled for spare parts after the war due to poor part interchangeability of the Winchesters. Either way, if the headspace is good, shoot the crap out of it.

Eorrick

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Indianapolis
    This......the US did not stamp serial numbers on the M1917 bolts when originally manufactured, unlike the P14's built for the British.

I'm guessing, as stated before, that they were either doing a match quantity of parts after production shut down, or an armorer rebuild later in life.

I have read somewhere that a lot of the Winchester rifles were later disassembled for spare parts after the war due to poor part interchangeability of the Winchesters. Either way, if the headspace is good, shoot the crap out of it.

Could have sworn I added pics. Weird. After looking at the Canadian mark, it’s there. Very small and pretty shallow but it’s there. I think we have a winner lol.

Attachments

• 6C8D82BA-C710-4DF4-B019-77CC68EDA55C.jpeg
      6C8D82BA-C710-4DF4-B019-77CC68EDA55C.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 4
    • 89B80689-3B8C-4773-9DB4-A3BA4BAAA8B0.jpeg
      89B80689-3B8C-4773-9DB4-A3BA4BAAA8B0.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 4
    • C84A2D9A-F9F8-4E7E-A829-1253FCF3C7B4.jpeg
      C84A2D9A-F9F8-4E7E-A829-1253FCF3C7B4.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 5
    • 3F779D8C-5156-4CD0-8095-26C765ED41D7.jpeg
      3F779D8C-5156-4CD0-8095-26C765ED41D7.jpeg