Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Next up is the Remington ADL 200[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary Model in .243. Remington Model 700 ADL 200th Anniversary Commemorative Edition Rifle | Sportsman's Warehouse or Model 700 ADL - 200th Anniversary Commemorative Edition | Remington. I have always liked the .243 for Coyotes on the farm as it had just a little more muscle that the .22-250. I run the Winchester factory load X2432 | Winchester Ammunition and a handload that consists of a 95 Grain Sierra https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/243-caliber-95-gr-tmk/. This stabilizes in this 24 inch 1:9 twist just perfectly.

Now in 2016 I did not set out to buy a commemorative as I shoot everything I own so nomenclature means very little to me. I just wanted an ADL in 243 to replace my older BDL style. Most of my bolt guns are hinged floor plates and I prefer the solid wood under the receiver now. I have no problem with a blind magazine as I know how to load and unload safely. I will point out that I never have had the floor plate dump in the field but I know it cannot happen with my ADL.

So I go into Dicks at traders Point one day and asked to see a 700ADL. The clerk exclaimed that he would show me one but that I didn’t want anything to do with Remington. I said oh…okay and left. There are two kinds of facts. Those that people believe and those that are real experiences. I know personally some of the Remington personnel in Ilion. Keith Dye has built me several custom rifles. We have had many Remington Shotguns and Rifles through the years. I even raced an XP100 in IHMSA back in the day. I never, ever have had a complaint. As a matter of fact, 15 years ago I sold off all my Coopers, Hill Country, and a few other custom guns as for a reason that I cannot explain, it has been more fun milking the accuracy out of American made production guns.

This target was shot today at 100 yards with factory ammo and a Leupold Rifleman series scope. Rifleman 4-12x40mm Scopes | Leupold. I have ran Leupolds my whole life and have never had a problem with them but that’s another review. The report on the .243 is mild. The gun came with 200[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary markings, jeweled bolt, fleur-de-lis checkering and a nicely crowned barrel. The balance on this gun makes it very easy to carry although I like a pivot point just a little closer to the trigger guard but that is a small thing that I can live with on this rifle. It still balances very well.

When one is following the big corporate news of high finance in gun companies many things can get out of whack with the end product. For instance, it is true that the move of Marlin was a hateful, hurtful transition. An undercapitalized company taking on new liability just so the greedy cash sucking suits can add to their wealth with most of them not even knowing how to spell gun. Each time a company reorganizes, many times over for almost every US and European Firearms manufacturer, the actual craftsman, the blue collar, the millwrights, the lathe operators, the machinist, the assemblers, floor supers and plant management are affected. They want to keep their jobs. Now with Remington, the last two regroups were about playing with the cash assets but there is a win everytime this happens. Not all of the money is wasted. For instance, the Huntsville plant got new machinery along with Ilion to build better quality with. Also, new material can be purchased and credit lines reestablished. This is huge when you consider a lot of these manufactures have bad credit, high liability and are C.O.D with their suppliers. Mucho training was provided and the workers in all plants had worked out every bug in manufacturing today. Too little, too late as greed out weighed the pride for the bean counters. Ironically, the best production that we have seen from Remington on all lines has been post fall of 2017. I have compared this new stuff to my older stuff and can attest that my new stuff runs with the best of them, has less things gone wrong ( a manufacturing term), very consistent and accurate.

I have always loved the 700 action. It is the most copied, most streamlined, most user friendly action in existence in my opinion. I know there are quicker lock times and better triggers available but whats better than a one holer? The X-Mark Pro trigger on this piece breaks crisp at 2 ¾ lb. I have no reason to replace it, however, I never had a problem with the old Remington triggers, but Darwin fixed that for us.

This gun came with a Monte Carlo stock which I prefer the straight comb but I can live with this as well. Me and this .243 are going back out to Montana next year and hope to put her to good use. So when, I break camp and glass me a nice lope or two, I will be thinking of all the workers taking lunch in breakroom, or the uneven unpainted concrete floors in the main plant, where employees (UMWA) were on their feet all day building a piece of American history.

Good Shooting

View attachment 94326 View attachment 94327 View attachment 94328 View attachment 94329 View attachment 94330 View attachment 94331 View attachment 94332 View attachment 94333 View attachment 94334

Attachments

• IMG_0634 (002).jpg
      IMG_0634 (002).jpg
      405.5 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_0635 (002).jpg
      IMG_0635 (002).jpg
      444.5 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0637 (002).jpg
      IMG_0637 (002).jpg
      140.3 KB · Views: 3
    • IMG_0638 (002).jpg
      IMG_0638 (002).jpg