• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    A buddy gave me a 12 gauge magnum 1100 that is in pieces. Supposedly it didn't cycle, so it was taken apart and not reassembled.

I wondered if there is an 1100 expert around that would reassemble and get it working? I live in NWI.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Theyre pretty simple. Should be a Youtube vid on basic reassembly.

If the trigger group/ housing has had all parts removed there may be the need to restake something.

The magnums are same as regulars except barrel ( chamber and gas port) and weight of action sleeve. An 1100 is an 1100.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sometimes the shell latch comes unstaked from inside receiver. Your trigger group pins will hold it in position. But it will fall out again when you disassemble. Can restake or just live w it. Had one that ran fine that had come undone. Brownells sells a tool to restake.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    An 1100 magnum in 12 ga has a single gas port (maybe the 20s do too, i dunno, have only owner a half dozen 1100 mags and all in 12 ga). And a heaver action sleeve. It should run heavy target loads (lead)....ounce of shot or more, 1200 fps or faster. The Winchester heavy trap Expert field or Sporting clays loads have run fine in a couple of magnums Ive had. Think those all were 1 1/8 ounch and 1250 fps.

1100s blow gunk down inside the forend. The mag tube if over oiled will gum up and it wont cycle. Old oils can shellack too. The mag tube needs to be clean and then oiled w something light and wiped off. The remnant oil is enough to protect it.

Then the issue could be gas port clogged or the gas rings not in correct orientation. The rubber O ring seal could be missing as well.

Sometimes folks screw up.loading and then bend/ damage stuff trying to remove the shell. Usually a bent carrier latch. This often shows as a failure for the bolt to stay back after last shot. Not uncommon, gun runs but last shot bolt holdopen is kaput.

Some folks get a screwdriver in there and mangle stuff to where the gun wont run. Used to be you could just buy a new complete trigger group reasonable.

Doubt thats the case these days.

My Special Purpose 1100 wont run steel dove loads. Runs fine w WW lead Sporting clays.....or turkey loads LOL

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Not an expert, but usually 3 things keeping reassembly from happening. I live in Porter. If you want a fast turn around Armory 219 in Valpo is my advice. Aaron is solid.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    A buddy gave me a 12 gauge magnum 1100 that is in pieces. Supposedly it didn't cycle, so it was taken apart and not reassembled.

I wondered if there is an 1100 expert around that would reassemble and get it working? I live in NWI.
    The Magnums, have a heavier action sleeve (a couple of ounces if I remember correctly) and a single gas port vs. the standard two. So if it wasn't cycling it might be from light loads. it wasn't designed for it. Just google 1100 action sleeve, standard vs. magnum.

Went down this EXACT route before. I got an 1100 for a hundred bucks because it "won't cycle" and a "smith." that couldn't figure it out.

heavy components, reduced gas flow. It simply won't work with low brass loads.

I run it as a backup deer gun. I kept the heavier action sleeve but switched to a two-gas port barrel. Runs all day long

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    12 ga 1100 magnums run low brass field loads fine. Ive shot several, one was my main dove gun. Heavy Trap or Sporting Clays 7.5s from Winchester.
    Over 1200 FPS, maybe a little more than that- cant remember.

Steel dove or softy target loads....nope.
    Not with the single gas port magnum bbl.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I think this piece is buggered up.
    And there's a bar (for ejection?) that came unstaked.
    Time for you to pick up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book The Remington M870 and M1100/M11-87 Shotguns - A Shop Manual.

The part that you think is buggered up is the Breech Bolt Buffer, and that is what it looks like after the shotgun has been fired.

It's an inexpensive part that is easily replaced. You can find them here ... https://www.midwestgunworks.com/remington-model-1100/breech-bolt-buffer.html

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    12 ga 1100 magnums run low brass field loads fine. Ive shot several, one was my main dove gun. Heavy Trap or Sporting Clays 7.5s from Winchester.
    Over 1200 FPS, maybe a little more than that- cant remember.

Steel dove or softy target loads....nope.
    Not with the single gas port magnum bbl.
    The soft clay pigeon loads are more what I'm referring to. A lot of people tend to get that 100 rd. value box from Walmart. Guilty of it myself.

With the double gas port and a heavy action sleeve, they usually cycle fine on lighter loads. Single port with the heavier action sleeve they get a little picky. Depends on how "light" the load is. Just what I've come across running a few.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    I think this piece is buggered up.
    And there's a bar (for ejection?) that came unstaked.
    Most of the time they split and lock up the hammer --Yours don't look that bad. All it does is soften the hammer drop -Couple of clamps and a good prick punch would restake-- Fellow shooter had his come loose he just cleaned and use J.B. weld and clamped -- Worked for him??

Top Bottom