• ...and so much more!
  • Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    i am looking into getting into reloading rifle rounds. 243, 308, and maybe 30- 0. what is a good press that i can start with. i don't want to spend a fortune as i am experimenting to see if i will like it enough to invest more into it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You are going to have a hard time even finding a new press. Sold out most places. Dont even think about powder and primers. Yea you can find the stuff but your gonna pay$$$
    You picked the worst time to even think about reloading..
    I was thinking about upgrading my press but after scouring the interwebs its Impossible to find what you want. You would have to settle for what you can find

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, don’t pay the crazy prices for something you might not really want.

while this is a bad time to jump in, it’s a great time to do research and figure out what you really want.

once you figure out what sounds best for your needs, be patient and just keep looking till you find it at a reasonable price.

Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    Yeah I’m thinking holding off for a while. I am always looking for anything reloading hoping to find a bargain. So far best I can I figure I only need a single stage press. If understand correctly I can switch out dies for calibers I am after. I keep hearing Dillon but they are expensive. I also don’t even know what equipment i need to just get cases ready for reload. I have heard I need something to trim the shell, I need a shaker thing to clan used brass. I heard something about crushed walnuts to pout in shaker thing. Lots to take in

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    Same boat here, my new house will be finished in the fall, that's when I will start putting my reloading area together, no point in searching for anything right now.

Plan on reloading: Swiss 7.5x55/8mm Mauser/Brit 303

Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    i finally have space and of course its worst time for anything ammo related. i bought a 100 work bench from Harbor Freight and put it in my basement for this. bench is great, now just need reload equipment.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    RCBS restocks frequently. Their rock chucker supreme or rebel would suit you well. If you are a veteran you can sign up for their VIP program, and receive some nice discounts.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You are going to have a hard time even finding a new press. Sold out most places. Dont even think about powder and primers. Yea you can find the stuff but your gonna pay$$$
    I was thinking about upgrading my press but after scouring the interwebs its Impossible to find what you want. You would have to settle for what you can find

You just have to be persistent. I just got into it as well. I found an RCBS Rebel press in stock at Natchez, Last week I backordered 9mm Redding dies from Brownells that said 2-4 month lead time but they shipped yesterday. There is plenty of brass out there (plus I saved all of my own), projectiles like 9mm, 45ACP seem to be readily available unless you require something specific (i.e Sierra hpbt and other popular rifle bullets), powder has not been a problem to find (I found plenty of W231, 8208XBR, Blue dot, etc. and the only thing I am having a hard time finding is primers.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    While supplies are tight right now, they can sill be found. The "rock chucker" is often reference as being the gold standard, but there are many good choices. Even with 5 Dillons on the bench, there is still a RCBS and a Lee there. Start with a single stange, and even if you progress from there, the single stage will still be used. Load development, small batches, ammo that is not produced in large quantities, and as I am preparing to do, de-cap some crimped primers before conditioning the primer pocket. Taking the NRA Reloading class with provide a lot of info. Finding a local mentor to help you and possible share some equipment/suppliers for now might a be a good option. Just helped a friend set up a Dillon last night, and will be getting him started when the weather clears up.

2ndamendlover1

Shooter
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Any ideas on where to start when it comes to reloading? I have primers and powder I also have a couple dies for the calibers that shoot .. All I need now is a press ? Since I'm a newbie should I be looking at a single stage hand press or something a little more ? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    My first press was a used single stage RCBS. It still gets used frequently. I have a Lee Turret press for most of my handgun reloading and a Lee breach lock for most of my rifle reloading. Keep an eye out for a good used single stage ("O" type frame is the strongest)and use it for a while. Then you can get the feel of what you want, then later move up to a progressive set up if you want.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I started out with a Lee Classic Turret. I don't regret that choice in the least, as I think it was the best of both worlds. It has auto-indexing capability, but I don't use that. I run it like a single-stage, with the advantage that you can buy multiple turrets, set your dies up once, and never have to change them again unless you change bullets (and even then, the adjustments are pretty minor). When loading a batch of ammo, you just have to index the turret to go to the next step, rather than having to set up a new die in the press for each operation.

After a couple of years with the LCT, I bought a Hornady LNL progressive, mainly because I was loading so much 9mm that I needed a way to increase my output. That press is dedicated to 9mm now, but I still use the turret press for my other pistol calibers (I ended up getting a single-stage for rifle loading, swaging, and decapping...but that was the 3rd press I bought, and was primarily for convenience, not because I actually needed it). The turret is far simpler to switch between calibers than the progressive, and saves a ton of time if you're only loading a couple of hundred rounds per batch.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    While supplies are tight right now, they can sill be found. The "rock chucker" is often reference as being the gold standard, but there are many good choices. Even with 5 Dillons on the bench, there is still a RCBS and a Lee there. Start with a single stange, and even if you progress from there, the single stage will still be used. Load development, small batches, ammo that is not produced in large quantities, and as I am preparing to do, de-cap some crimped primers before conditioning the primer pocket. Taking the NRA Reloading class with provide a lot of info. Finding a local mentor to help you and possible share some equipment/suppliers for now might a be a good option. Just helped a friend set up a Dillon last night, and will be getting him started when the weather clears up.
    My first press was a used single stage RCBS. It still gets used frequently. I have a Lee Turret press for most of my handgun reloading and a Lee breach lock for most of my rifle reloading. Keep an eye out for a good used single stage ("O" type frame is the strongest)and use it for a while. Then you can get the feel of what you want, then later move up to a progressive set up if you want.
    These^
    My brother and I have 5 Dillons set up and a RCBS Rock Chucker. You'll always find a use for the Rock Chucker

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I started on Dillon 650 @ a gun shop that let me run on their machine. Ran 280 rds n hour but 8 of them were squibs. I found out then I needed to go to single stage machine ,so I went to my dad's place. Lee single stage it slowed process down enough to know how to make ammo correctly. Churned out 300rds in 3days...lol. I was hooked after that & bought Dillon 550, best of both worlds - progressive press that you index yourself, so you can check each station. Plenty of educational youtube videos to keep you on the right path... happy loading.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Any ideas on where to start when it comes to reloading? I have primers and powder I also have a couple dies for the calibers that shoot .. All I need now is a press ? Since I'm a newbie should I be looking at a single stage hand press or something a little more ? Any information would be greatly appreciated
    If your near Shelbyville In and want to buy local Bobcat Armament is great but there stock is low..online I like Graf and sons or Natchez or Midsouth shooters supply. Capitol brass for once fired brass. Be very happy you have primers. As far as what press thats a personal decision. I started on a single stage press and still use it. YouTube has alot of reloading videos.I would start there. Good luck. Its almost as fun as shooting to me

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I started on a lee turret press, then went to a Lee Load Master (first gen) when I started competing, It was a pos. after sending it back to lee to fix, I finally parted with it, and spent the money on a Dillon Xl 650. Best money i've spent on reloading period. Their warrenty is the best in the business.
    When I started reloading .223, I picked up a couple single station presses and use them to size/deprime. Then I clean them up and load on the dillon. I have quick change kits for all calibers I load, so its' quick, and I can crank out the rounds in short order.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If your near Shelbyville In and want to buy local Bobcat Armament is great but there stock is low..online I like Graf and sons or Natchez or Midsouth shooters supply. Capitol brass for once fired brass. Be very happy you have primers. As far as what press thats a personal decision. I started on a single stage press and still use it. YouTube has alot of reloading videos.I would start there. Good luck. Its almost as fun as shooting to me
    Hicock45 has a great video for beginners and a guy named Gavin Tobe. Ultimate reloader.com he is on YouTube as well..AND buy a couple reloading manuals..there I'm done

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I started on a Hornady Lock-n-load single stage and just doing 9mm. I got a couple manuals and of course Youtube. A friend at church had a reloading setup and let me come out and check it out. That helped a lot.

Of course, this is a bad time to begin but a good time for research.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    For rifle rounds then a single stage press is fine. A kit like the Lee Challenger is a good place to start. Gives you all you need to get going. Not the best or fanciest, but solid gear. Sure you can spend big bucks on the best available, but if you don't understand the basics its a waste of time and money. Reading manuals is all well and good, but reloading is a doing thing. The more you do it the better you get at it. There is a rhythm and feel to running a press that tells you when something has gone wrong. A progressive press has a lot of things going on at once that can be confusing. Dillons a great machine, so is Hornady LNL or Lee LoadMaster, but now your into a Chevy/Ford discussion. Don't buy a Ferrari to haul lumber.

Check out Titan Reloading. They carry all the major brands.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    i am looking into getting into reloading rifle rounds. 243, 308, and maybe 30- 0. what is a good press that i can start with. i don't want to spend a fortune as i am experimenting to see if i will like it enough to invest more into it.

Something like this would get you going cheapest just need dies, brass, primers, powder, and bullets.

Top Bottom