• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I realize reloading dies are harder than normal steel. My question....if I wanted to rebarrel a rifle to 6x223 (or 6x45, same thing) and couldn't find proper dies, what would it take to open the neck on a .223 sizing die to the needed diameter for the 6mm bullet? It would need to be .268" neck diameter. Same question applies to seating die....the neck would need to be .272"-ish.

I have never seen a cutaway of the inside of a seating die...is there a neck diameter for your .272" brass and then a smaller diameter (.244") above it for the bullet to align with the neck as it's pushed in when being seated? I've looked into my dies but there would be such a subtle diameter change that I wouldn't see it unless it was actually stepped.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    In this case, I bought a used barrel in a wildcat caliber from an individual, he kept the dies for his other gun. My local smith doesn't have a reamer. So the question goes back to...is it possible to modify existing ($25) dies into the caliber I want by simply boring out the neck to the desired diameter? All other body dimensions should be the same. If so, how easy or hard is it to do that? The custom dies are pretty pricey.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A) normal steel? Most dies are heat treated high carbon steel , not softer low carbon steel
    B) hardened steel will not be machinable without annealing (softing of the steel)
    C) you may have to a chamber cast made , and contact the die companies about having a set of custom dies made up.
    You are gonna have to man up and pay the price of a custom die set

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A) normal steel? Most dies are heat treated high carbon steel , not softer low carbon steel
    B) hardened steel will not be machinable without annealing (softing of the steel)
    C) you may have to a chamber cast made , and contact the die companies about having a set of custom dies made up.
    I was afraid you were gonna say that!! hahaha

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    The effect would be a bit different on each die.

It would also create a sharp edge at the shoulder/neck seam on the sizing die that would make a weak spot.

You would loose the tiny radius at the top of the crimp die.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I was afraid you were gonna say that!! hahaha
    While not trying to be a killjoy, this is the reality of owning a custom rifle / wildcat chamber gun.
    Should you be feeling real adventurous your free to use my lathe and make your own die set, although I prefer having the die company make them

And if you poll my guys at work, apparently it is my job to be a killjoy, no riding the pallet jack like a skate board, no blackpowder cannons in the shop, no using the air hoses to launch soda cans at each other....you get the picture.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My other wildcats have dies that were easier to come by. A 6x47 on a 222 magnum case, and a 270 Maximum from a 357 Max straight wall. The 270 has RCBS dies, I don't recall if I had to order them or if the barrel maker offered them. The 250 Sav A.I. was a bolt pistol that came with the dies from a previous owner.

On a side note, I called CH4D and they had a set for me. Should arrive next week.

Good lesson to learn...finding dies for wildcats gets moved up in the priority list in a new build/rebuild.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As an educated guess what would it cost for custom dies?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Redding can run from $150-225. I found my 6x221 Fireball from CH4D for $121 delivered. He was 24 months out on chamber reamers. Custom barrel makers probably have a line on reamers that they don't stock. One smith quoted me a $75 reamer rental fee on top of his gunsmithing price.

Custom dies are occasionally on ebay. Perhaps better to find dies before committing to a build. Older calibers like my 6x47 sometimes come up on benchrest rifle sites, it was once a poplar cartridge before the PPC & BR cases took over. Ackley Improved dies are easier to find than other wildcats.

There can be many variations of a wildcat. In my case, there is the 6 Whisper, 6x221 (factory 23 degree shoulder), 6x221 30 degree shoulder, 6x221 40 degree shoulder.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I personally have stayed away from wildcats.....I have not fully explored "factory cartridges "

I am thinking about "some 6mm" for my next match rifle, but I do not know

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    While not trying to be a killjoy, this is the reality of owning a custom rifle / wildcat chamber gun.
    Should you be feeling real adventurous your free to use my lathe and make your own die set, although I prefer having the die company make them

And if you poll my guys at work, apparently it is my job to be a killjoy, no riding the pallet jack like a skate board, no blackpowder cannons in the shop, no using the air hoses to launch soda cans at each other....you get the picture.
    Yeah, you're no fun at all!
    I suppose you can't use the forklift to do an oil change either, right...LOL

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Yeah, you're no fun at all!
    I suppose you can't use the forklift to do an oil change either, right...LOL
    No! Thats what the over head crane is for.....the forklift is currently be used to store dies on. Why are we storing dies on the forklift? The drinking fountain is full of shavings.....

Top Bottom