• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    @DadSmith posted a picture of a review of magazine that mentioned reloading a revolver from a magazine.

Screenshot_20221016-152518.png

I mentioned I remember hearing this being talked about sometime ago as a reloading technique.

I found this article that mentions it.

I guess it was used with 38 special wadcutters in a standard 45 ACP 1911 magazine, as well with about any 9mm mag in 9mm revolvers.

Anyone ever tried this before? From the article, it makes the "reload" easier to carry and aquire than a speed strip or a speed loader. It will be slower than both previously mentioned methods in actual filling the cylinder. By how much, I'm not sure.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @DadSmith posted a picture of a review of magazine that mentioned reloading a revolver from a magazine.

View attachment 230663

I mentioned I remember hearing this being talked about sometime ago as a reloading technique.

I found this article that mentions it.

I guess it was used with 38 special wadcutters in a standard 45 ACP 1911 magazine, as well with about any 9mm mag in 9mm revolvers.

Anyone ever tried this before? From the article, it makes the "reload" easier to carry and aquire than a speed strip or a speed loader. It will be slower than both previously mentioned methods in actual filling the cylinder. By how much, I'm not sure.
    I tried to find a few videos on this subject but my Google fu failed.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    All the 9mm revolvers I have experience with wouldn't eject 9mm casings unless they were in a moon clip. I would assume this could be counted on for 1 reload after emptying the original moon clip loads.

IMO a 2x2 pouch or speed strip would be much faster and easier to carry.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I just use these for flat pocket carry:

I remember when some bullseye target guys shot .38 spl. flush seated wadcutters in the modified 1911 chassis pistols. Have not seen one in years, in fact not a lot of conventional bullseye shooters left.
    I have a Colt Gold Cup thats factory cambered in 38 Special wadcutter.
    The Smith 52 38 special wc started as a model 39 9mm.
    Clark and a few other gunsmiths built wadcutter pistols on the 1911 platform.

Reactions: Leo

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The review mentions the Charter Arms Pitbull, which is the only revolver currently in production that has an extractor mechanism that will eject rimless semiauto pistol cartridges. At least, the only one in current production that I know of. The Pitbull is available in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I can see how a mag of semiauto cartridges would make a neat way to carry more ammo for one of these revolvers. Just thumb them into the cylinder.

I don't have a Pitbull revolver, but I've thumbed .45 ACP cartridges into my Ruger Vaquero convertible from a 1911 magazine and it works ok.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The review mentions the Charter Arms Pitbull, which is the only revolver currently in production that has an extractor mechanism that will eject rimless semiauto pistol cartridges. At least, the only one in current production that I know of. The Pitbull is available in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I can see how a mag of semiauto cartridges would make a neat way to carry more ammo for one of these revolvers. Just thumb them into the cylinder.

I don't have a Pitbull revolver, but I've thumbed .45 ACP cartridges into my Ruger Vaquero convertible from a 1911 magazine and it works ok.
    Im curious to see how 38 wadcutters feed in and out of a 45 acp mag.
    The feeding on 1911 38 mags are a different animal than rimless rounds.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Im curious to see how 38 wadcutters feed in and out of a 45 acp mag.
    The feeding on 1911 38 mags are a different animal than rimless rounds.
    With full Wadcutters you would be better off with a simple speed strip. It will give you fits like it would in a speedloader or moon clip.

The use of a magazine was a trick for Single action revolvers like a Ruger Blackhawk in say 45 acp or 9mm cylinder in place. Traditional revolver rounds like 38 special, 357 mag, 41/44 mag etc what mags fit the rounds (Desert eagle etc) are just more bulky than the worth

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With full Wadcutters you would be better off with a simple speed strip. It will give you fits like it would in a speedloader or moon clip.

The use of a magazine was a trick for Single action revolvers like a Ruger Blackhawk in say 45 acp or 9mm cylinder in place. Traditional revolver rounds like 38 special, 357 mag, 41/44 mag etc what mags fit the rounds (Desert eagle etc) are just more bulky than the worth
    Yes I understand that, its just interesting ive never heard of this being done.
    I own a few bullseye automatics in 38 special wadcutter. Those mags all have way different feed lips than standard mags. Thats what I was talking about.

Using wadcutters with speedloaders will work much better when a taper crimp has been used. Years back I shot revolver PPC and shot wadcutters loaded into jet-loaders and they worked well.

Reactions: Leo

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Yes I understand that, its just interesting ive never heard of this being done.
    I own a few bullseye automatics in 38 special wadcutter. Those mags all have way different feed lips than standard mags. Thats what I was talking about.

Using wadcutters with speedloaders will work much better when a taper crimp has been used. Years back I shot revolver PPC and shot wadcutters loaded into jet-loaders and they worked well.
    I shot PPC as well and with the time constraints not to big a deal with wadcutters. What I was referring to but didn’t articulate as good as I should have was loading as fast as one could.

Top Bottom