• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Is it possible to reload 410 on a single stage or maybe a turret press? Do they make dies for that use? Seems to me it could be done if a die set was available.

Thoughts and opinions on this?

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Sure if it was designed to reload shotgun shells, like a MEC or such. If you are referring to a metallic cartridge reloader, no. Shellholder, primers, placing the wad, and dispensing shoy.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Did they make them with the ability to load 410? I thought it was just 12 and 20 gauge.
    They did. I've been watching them on Ebay. They're pretty pricey for what they are. There's a ton of videos on YouTube from guys who make their own. Pretty simple tools really. It doesn't take too much to load a few shells. Not ideal if you're reloading for your trap club though.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The short answer to the OP is I don’t think you could reload .410 on a metallic press.

I have a MEC 9000 .410 progressive reloader and a MEC 600 jr single stage reloader. The main drawback for the 600, besides being lots slower (you have to pull the handle 5 times to get a loaded shell) is that there is no resizing collet on the 600. With that being said I use the 600 a lot more than the MEC 9000. The 9000 is a lot faster as long as there isn’t a malfunction. When something goes wrong it takes a while to get it up and running properly again. The 600 is practically foolproof.

If you are reloading shells that were shot in your gun you may not need to resize them. If you’re shooting someone else’s fired hulls the reloaded shells may not chamber easily in your gun Without resizing the brass.

You could check eBay for a MEC reloader - but as mentioned they seem to run a couple hundred dollars for a single stage.

Good luck with your reloading. In case you haven’t checked lately, components (primarily primers and powder) are practically impossible to find unless you are willing to pay extraordinarily inflated prices.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The short answer to the OP is I don’t think you could reload .410 on a metallic press.

I have a MEC 9000 .410 progressive reloader and a MEC 600 jr single stage reloader. The main drawback for the 600, besides being lots slower (you have to pull the handle 5 times to get a loaded shell) is that there is no resizing collet on the 600. With that being said I use the 600 a lot more than the MEC 9000. The 9000 is a lot faster as long as there isn’t a malfunction. When something goes wrong it takes a while to get it up and running properly again. The 600 is practically foolproof.

If you are reloading shells that were shot in your gun you may not need to resize them. If you’re shooting someone else’s fired hulls the reloaded shells may not chamber easily in your gun Without resizing the brass.

You could check eBay for a MEC reloader - but as mentioned they seem to run a couple hundred dollars for a single stage.

Good luck with your reloading. In case you haven’t checked lately, components (primarily primers and powder) are practically impossible to find unless you are willing to pay extraordinarily inflated prices.
    Thanks for the great explanation. I'll keep my eyes open for for a MEC 600. I don't own a 410 but my dad has one he likes to hunt with. He has plenty of empty shells. I just need to find a way to load them for him. What about slugs for a 410? He has a smooth bore so they would need to be rifled. Can you buy them like you do bullets for metallic cartridges?

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Reloading slugs is an interesting process. Takes some additional equipment and supplies. Finding someone that is already doing it would be a good idea. Used to make a lot back when it was the only choice to hunt with. Much easier to use new hulls. Would need to be roll crimped.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    You will have to get the feel of crimping the .410 in the final stage on the MEC. The colum length to diameter is so long that they will want to bulge out just above the brass. Do not mix empties and work up a load that you like. WW hulls seem to work best then Remington.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    After a few YouTube videos I purchased 11 bucks worth of steel from the steel supply place. Going to build my own press. Its comical how easy it is to reload a 410 shell. All I need to find now is primers and some hulls. Found shot, wads, and pow pow. Anyone in NWI have any hulls or primers....

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    After a few YouTube videos I purchased 11 bucks worth of steel from the steel supply place. Going to build my own press. Its comical how easy it is to reload a 410 shell. All I need to find now is primers and some hulls. Found shot, wads, and pow pow. Anyone in NWI have any hulls or primers....
    Curious where you found the shot and wads? Was it online?

Thanks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search?keywords=.410+wads

Graf's is showing stock on .410 wads. I like cup wads in the .410, with so little shot, I hate to deform any more stray fliers than I have to. Pretty sure a .45 Colt shell holder will hold a .410 shell, and a universal decapper will push the spent primer. I have pushed primers out with a roll pin punch setting the hull over a hole in a board and back in by setting the primer on an anvil and tapping the hull over it with a dowel rod and a rubber mallet.

I second the MEC junior press as a real solution.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search?keywords=.410+wads

Graf's is showing stock on .410 wads. I like cup wads in the .410, with so little shot, I hate to deform any more stray fliers than I have to. Pretty sure a .45 Colt shell holder will hold a .410 shell, and a universal decapper will push the spent primer. I have pushed primers out with a roll pin punch setting the hull over a hole in a board and back in by setting the primer on an anvil and tapping the hull over it with a dowel rod and a rubber mallet.

I second the MEC junior press as a real solution.

Crimping is the hardest part. Takes practice to feel the crimp and get the case mouth closed without crushing the hull just above the brass. Go easy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have pushed primers out with a roll pin punch setting the hull over a hole in a board and back in by setting the primer on an anvil and tapping the hull over it with a dowel rod and a rubber mallet.
    Many years ago I read an article about reloading shotgun shells without a press. And what you described was about all they used other than a powder and shot dippers. I just looked and found a video about it, there are several.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom