Redemption of a threadjack gone wrong, or All Things AR500 and Hardfacing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Moving from the edges tools section, we were having a discussion of impact and abrasive wear on backhoe bucket teeth tips.
    Will try to quote the relevant conversation and move forward over here.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    From @Creedmoor
    Ive seen plate welded or bolted with body fit or snowplow edge bolts and nuts across the teeth of a bucket to help with wear.
    I have a bunch of Vermeer LM 35.40 and 42 AR500 plow blanks in 1/2" thick and are ?? 6 1/2" wide and say 30 +" long.
    If you would like a few to cut and try I would be more than glad to toss a few in a large flat rate box and ship them to you?
    Or if your close a meet and eat?
    I can snap a few pics of one tomorrow if your interested.

With smaller plow blades like the walk beside Vermeers, Berkeens, Ditch Witch and other smaller machines I would normally use a plasma and cut out the bullet and wear portion and weld in a new piece of flat stock and bullet.
    Larger blades I would add AR flat plate in the needed thickness and then the never ending 7018 buildup and finish with hardface wear bars.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    From me…
    I’ll let you know I’m really don’t have any metallurgy knowledge at all…

Do I assume correctly I could plasma cut the pieces you have into 3”ish by 4”ish pieces without taking the wear or hardness properties out of the AR?

If so I’d be happy to buy your lunch and buy some steel.

I actually have my usual steel supplier checking into what these cut pieces would cost, but they’ll probably be high. Great service, will do whatever, but you pay for it.

We do quite a bit of buildup/hardfacing and would commit to doing that on these teeth as that would be about as quick as changing them out.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I do quite a bit of hardfacing on high wear items around an asphalt plant- crusher teeth, gates, flights, etc. It works really well. I have also done teeth on excavator and backhoe buckets as well as cutting edges on graders and dozers.
    Study brand rod is the best I have used, Sutton Garten carries them.
    Turn your welder up, and if you are doing a loose plate you are planning on bolting onto something later- take it easy and alternate ends where you are hardfacing as much as possible or you will warp the plate and have a heck of a time bolting it up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Will a few of these get you what you need?
    1/2" x 6"? X 23" AR500, so I can get them in a flat rate box.

What county are you guys shooting in tile?
    20221201_081800.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Will a few of these get you what you need?
    1/2" x 6"? X 23" AR500, so I can get them in a flat rate box.

What county are you guys shooting in tile?
    View attachment 239852
    That looks great.
    I'm from Sheridan, currently working near Thorntown.
    We'll have to wait for a break in the action, either weather wise or after the first of the year to get very serious about this, but would be happy to meet you or pay for shipping, as well as for the steel.
    Really appreciate the help and advice, I think this could be a good solution.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I do quite a bit of hardfacing on high wear items around an asphalt plant- crusher teeth, gates, flights, etc. It works really well. I have also done teeth on excavator and backhoe buckets as well as cutting edges on graders and dozers.
    Study brand rod is the best I have used, Sutton Garten carries them.
    Turn your welder up, and if you are doing a loose plate you are planning on bolting onto something later- take it easy and alternate ends where you are hardfacing as much as possible or you will warp the plate and have a heck of a time bolting it up.
    One of my first experiences hardfacing was tossing a long piece on the bench to build up. I didn't see it warp til it was too late but managed to salvage it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That looks great.
    I'm from Sheridan, currently working near Thorntown.
    We'll have to wait for a break in the action, either weather wise or after the first of the year to get very serious about this, but would be happy to meet you or pay for shipping, as well as for the steel.
    Really appreciate the help and advice, I think this could be a good solution.
    PM me a shipping address and I will get them shipped next week.
    You dont owe me anything. Glad to help.

Top Bottom