Red dots on handguns are for play (change my mind)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry, wasnt trying to mansplain or insult. I would disagree it is semantics. Take my Bill drill for example. If I shoot a 7 yard 2.25 second Bill drill from the holster, that is a 1.25 DTFH and .20 splits. I am seeing the dot that whole time. It may only be a streak of red going up and down, but it is there. This is important. If I was shooting reactively (vs. predictively) those splits would run more like a .3 or .35. By reactively I mean waiting for the dot to drop and settle and then press the trigger. You are right that I would then be shooting slow. There is a time and place for both. That is really what Daniel Horner is talking about towards the end of that video upthread.
    I did not think you were insulting or anything. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Thanks.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Really? Have you had this happen?

I have always listened to the "cheap plastic sights" talk and replaced them with Ameriglos. The same as I did on the G19 pictured above.

After using the SCS for some months, I have convinced myself that I might live with stock sights on the next Glock/SCS?

Maybe not, if I can find real world folks who have had issues with the stock sights, beyond rumors?
    The first and only Glock I owned disassembled it's rear sight while riding in the holster. One of many reasons I will never own another Glock.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The first and only Glock I owned disassembled its rear sight while riding in the holster. One of many reasons I will never own another Glock.
    Was it the plastic factory U notch sights?

If it was the factory polymer U notch sights that is common. Aftermarket or factory steel might sights its not an issue.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if this sight issue problem was in early generations or it is still a current problem?

I have hammered Gen4 and Gen5 sights out and some back in. They don't seem frail at all? Nor do they move easily. :dunno:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Factory adjustable rear.
    That was the problem. The factory Glock sights (other than night) even adjustable the polymer doesn’t take much to get it out. In fact even a small impact say on a table or door and simple thumb pressure you can move them out of the slot.

I have instructed several million rounds down range with agency Glocks and aftermarket steel there aren’t the issues.

But if you don’t like Glocks because well they are Glocks that cool too!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Mine were the plastic factory adjustable ones. After they spontaneously disassimbled themselves, I replaced them with fixed Trijcons. My big issue with Glock, aside from the fanboys, was how they handled the whole "6 part voluntarily upgrade". Go on about "Glock Perfection" while you're selling pistols that slam fire because your engineers don't understand tolerance stacking and offer a voluntary upgrade without even mentioning the your "perfect" pistol could fire spontaneously or issuing a recall because, well, people might doubt just how perfect your product actually is. Oh well, at least I got a Glock Perfection sticker for sending mine in so they could make it even more perfect. Don't even get me started on the failed DOJ drop tests, tails breaking off of frame rails or the whole issue with them not not functioning with lights mounted on the dust cover rails.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Mine were the plastic factory adjustable ones. After they spontaneously disassimbled themselves, I replaced them with fixed Trijcons. My big issue with Glock, aside from the fanboys, was how they handled the whole "6 part voluntarily upgrade". Go on about "Glock Perfection" while you're selling pistols that slam fire because your engineers don't understand tolerance stacking and offer a voluntary upgrade without even mentioning the your "perfect" pistol could fire spontaneously or issuing a recall because, well, people might doubt just how perfect your product actually is. Oh well, at least I got a Glock Perfection sticker for sending mine in so they could make it even more perfect. Don't even get me started on the failed DOJ drop tests, tails breaking off of frame rails or the whole issue with them not not functioning with lights mounted on the dust cover rails.
    Well at least they don't fire all on their own like the Sigs!
    Well this has been QUITE the thread!
    You're welcome.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Well at least they don't fire all on their own like the Sigs!

You're welcome.
    They did fire on their own. My issue is more the corporate attitude, not the quality of the product itself. Having a problem and owning it will go a lot farther with me than our product failed who can we blame. Seriously, your pistol disassembles itself repeatedly during the DOJ drop test and your response is to threaten them with a lawsuit because they didn't give you a bring contract. Then you rush a 'solution' into production only to have pieces of your fix to break off inside the gun because you failed to do proper testing. With Glock it seems to always be somebody else's fault. I don't accept that behavior from my grandchildren, I certainly won't from a company that sells a product that may be called on to save my life.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    They did fire on their own. My issue is more the corporate attitude, not the quality of the product itself. Having a problem and owning it will go a lot farther with me than our product failed who can we blame. Seriously, your pistol disassembles itself repeatedly during the DOJ drop test and your response is to threaten them with a lawsuit because they didn't give you a bring contract. Then you rush a 'solution' into production only to have pieces of your fix to break off inside the gun because you failed to do proper testing. With Glock it seems to always be somebody else's fault. I don't accept that behavior from my grandchildren, I certainly won't from a company that sells a product that may be called on to save my life.
    So in other words, just like Sig.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    So in other words, just like Sig.
    When did Sig file a lawsuit against the government or anyone else because produced a defective product? Every firearm company has produced bad products. The occasional lemon, or serious design failures, they've all had them. I honestly don't understand the continual references to Sig. I didn't come in this thread promoting them or any other brand. Do you have a dislike of Sig or is this the best you can do to defend Glock? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to better understand your position.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    When did Sig file a lawsuit against the government or anyone else because produced a defective product? Every firearm company has produced bad products. The occasional lemon, or serious design failures, they've all had them. I honestly don't understand the continual references to Sig. I didn't come in this thread promoting them or any other brand. Do you have a dislike of Sig or is this the best you can do to defend Glock? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to better understand your position.
    My initial response was in purple.
    Multi-level purple, in fact.
    Love my Sigs.
    Not a glock guy, but to each their own. I always thought they were rock solid, I’m just ‘that guy’ about the grip angle.

I trust cedartop to know his stuff, and I think he’s only slightly more serious than I am in this thread, which is not much. But I could be wrong, he might hate Sigs.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My initial response was in purple.
    Multi-level purple, in fact.
    Love my Sigs.
    Not a glock guy, but to each their own. I always thought they were rock solid, I’m just ‘that guy’ about the grip angle.

I trust cedartop to know his stuff, and I think he’s only slightly more serious than I am in this thread, which is not much. But I could be wrong, he might hate Sigs.
    Around this place, I assume every post is in purple.... :stickpoke:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If you think any Gun Company is really your friend you’re mistaken. Yea people that work there are probably like minded gun folks but deep deep down in the weeds gun companies don’t care they just want to sell stuff PERIOD!!!

The other factor is people have an issue with passing what they have READ as what they have WITNESSED or EXPERIENCED. Reading it unless it’s a reputable source doesn’t equal fact!

We have all had a couple issues with firearms if you buy enough but from experience (and I am no Glock lover) Glocks have ran and ran in agency stock (other than sights) configuration.
    Then and how they can make them far less than a steel frame gun if why Oolice administration loves them. For a general issue where you have to dumb stuff down they are great. They don’t shoot them selves or break apart all the time.

Yes there are learning curves. The Weapon Mounted light issues was primarily with 40 cal because of the recoil.

The 17M came out and Indianapolis OD had an issue with the takedown print getting manipulated under recoil thus slides when flying forward. Glock fixed it (and it wasn’t epic proportions)

Beretta has a minor issue back in the 80’s with an M9 and slides coming off However it was like 10 guns or less and they corrected it in short order but to hear some tell someone always claimed to have witnessed one.

Guns are like cars…never buy the first year of a new model!

Top Bottom