• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What if you’re cross-dominant because you shoot right-handed but have good vision only in your left eye? Could you red dot pistol shooters try closing one eye and let me know if it’s still worth pursuing?
    TB, update on what I observed today.

Like I mentioned I shoot both eyes open. It is my left eye that is on the dot.

I think being left eye dominant, that eye will naturally take over with both eyes open.

Works the same on my rifle with a dot. I just focus on the target and when the dot is on it, I can close my right eye and the dot is still on the target.

Good luck. Though it's not a huge handicap, being cross dominant is still a handicap in my opinion. And not just shooting.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

I think being left eye dominant, that eye will naturally take over with both eyes open.

Works the same on my rifle with a dot. I just focus on the target and when the dot is on it, I can close my right eye and the dot is still on the target.

Good luck. Though it's not a huge handicap, being cross dominant is still a handicap in my opinion. And not just shooting.
    Since I’ve always had poor vision in my right eye, I’ve always adapted. For instance, ever since I learned to shoot a BB gun when I was a kid, I’ve had to shoot rifles left-handed. But I’ve always shot handguns right-handed (because that’s my more dexterous hand). But when it comes to bowling, I used to do that right-handed, but easily switched to left-handed because that made more sense once I got old enough to question the decision, since I have always been left-eyed. I guess my main curiosity is just how good red dots do (or don’t) work with just one eye—how much of their benefits are negated.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I’ve always had poor vision in my right eye, I’ve always adapted. For instance, ever since I learned to shoot a BB gun when I was a kid, I’ve had to shoot rifles left-handed. But I’ve always shot handguns right-handed (because that’s my more dexterous hand). But when it comes to bowling, I used to do that right-handed, but easily switched to left-handed because that made more sense once I got old enough to question the decision, since I have always been left-eyed. I guess my main curiosity is just how good red dots do (or don’t) work with just one eye—how much of their benefits are negated.
    I don't see any issue using one eye with a dot. But then again I don't see any issue with using one eye to shoot irons, shotguns, whatever.

Maybe you lose some depth perception, I don't know. You probably lose some peripheral vision and it may slow you down in competition.

But if you aren't seeing the target or you are seeing two targets or like in my case with a scope on a high power rifle, I can concentrate and keep both eyes open and put the crosshairs on the target. But as soon as I pull the trigger, the recoil makes me lose the sight picture making follow through non-existent. Close one eye and I'm golden.

A lot of well intentioned people who are not cross dominant try to tell those that are how to deal with it or that everyone should follow the "rules" to shoot a certain way. I don't put a lot of stock into what they offer since they haven't walked in my shoes.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I took the G17 Gen5 MOS with the 509T to the range yesterday, pretty nice combo and needed very few adjustments. I didn't get too carried away though as I have a C&H plate coming so i'll have to remount and make any new adjustments.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Even though I am left eye dominant and right handed, I use my right eye to see the dot and let my dominant eye focus on the target. I have found this to be easier than trying to manipulate the gun so that my left eye focuses on the dot. I would think if you can use your right eye to pick up the dot and your left to focus on the target, your brain will compensate.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Even though I am left eye dominant and right handed, I use my right eye to see the dot and let my dominant eye focus on the target. I have found this to be easier than trying to manipulate the gun so that my left eye focuses on the dot. I would think if you can use your right eye to pick up the dot and your left to focus on the target, your brain will compensate.
    I have never been able to have each eye do independent things. Both of my eyes focus and look the same way. That's great if you can do that.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have never been able to have each eye do independent things. Both of my eyes focus and look the same way. That's great if you can do that.
    One of your eyes will see/focus on the dot and the other won't. Just the way it works. You can move the gun or your head to switch which eye does, just like with iron sights. One eye lines up with the target and front post and the other one doesn't.

And keep in mind, with a red dot, the reticle is on the same plane as your target so both eyes are focusing on the same plane.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    How do you like that leupy? I've only used a burris on a 22 and my holosun on my edc

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I like it. It is low profile and the dot is essentially at "iron sight height".

For me I have found that unlike the M&P 5" with a 509T, a more iron sight like presentation seems to work. With the 509T I use the "elevator" presentation that Aaron Cowen at Sage Dynamics promotes. With the DeltaPoint Micro I find my traditional (but possibly entirely wrong) front sight up and drop to rear sight approach seems to work better.

One difficulty which I am overcoming is the tendency to lose the dot during awkward presentations high and right when I don't have enough support hand pinky pressure. I've found occluding my left eye helps this substantially. (really an eye dominance / grip issue)

The more I have used it, I think if the technology had supported it at the time, this format could have been the original carry optic.

For me having the dot is about precision. Since every bullet has a lawyer riding it, I want the maximum advantage to make every round hit the intended target at whatever range. My precision with iron sights (a combination of eye sight and front site width) was not adequate for an active shooter / White Settlement Church type scenario. Red dots fix that for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My nephew is left eye dominant, and he is right handed. He was trying to shoot with his left hand.
    I ask if he was practicing if his right hand got injured. He said he that he had to use his left hand because he was left eye dominant.
    I said no and told him to open both eyes draw and present on target with his right hand. He did so I told him to close his right eye. He was amazed that it lined up automatically with his left eye.
    Now he is shooting at 50 yards and hitting ar500 targets 8" and small torso targets.
    I'm sure the red dot would be the same and it will align automatically to the dominant eye.

Goodfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Noblesville
    My nephew is left eye dominant, and he is right handed. He was trying to shoot with his left hand.
    I ask if he was practicing if his right hand got injured. He said he that he had to use his left hand because he was left eye dominant.
    I said no and told him to open both eyes draw and present on target with his right hand. He did so I told him to close his right eye. He was amazed that it lined up automatically with his left eye.
    Now he is shooting at 50 yards and hitting ar500 targets 8" and small torso targets.
    I'm sure the red dot would be the same and it will align automatically to the dominant eye.
    Seems like it would be easier to learn this first then to learn to shoot with the lesser hand. Then later learn to shoot with the lesser hand.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    One of the best shooting schools in the country, The Elite Rogers Shooting School, teaches beginners to shoot using whichever hand matches their dominant eye. They don't try to change someone who already has a cross eye dominant set up ingrained.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    One of the best shooting schools in the country, The Elite Rogers Shooting School, teaches beginners to shoot using whichever hand matches their dominant eye. They don't try to change someone who already has a cross eye dominant set up ingrained.
    He didn't have it ingrained he was shooting horribly. He us right handed trying to shot left. He's going fine now he does shot rifles left handed. But he was having so much trouble trying to shot his pistol left handed. He immediately gained a lot of accuracy switching to his right hand.

My youngest son does not have a dominant eye and he had a lot of problems with handguns. he shoots one eye close otherwise he can't find the sights.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My wife attended a Revere’s Riders ladies only handgun class. She had never fired a handgun before. When they determined she was cross-dominant she started shooting with her left hand and immediately improved, even though she is right handed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife attended a Revere’s Riders ladies only handgun class. She had never fired a handgun before. When they determined she was cross-dominant she started shooting with her left hand and immediately improved, even though she is right handed.
    I could see it working if just starting out. But at 62(next month), I'm too set in my ways, lol.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've been using a red dot for a couple of years. Found it very intuitive as well as improving my accuracy at any distance.. I just stumbled on to this discussing what distance to zero a dot and thought others might find it interesting.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...myRTXXLei4DfYO6S6P76GJvjhtgmgu0HlsH5AVF6HS6-c
    I agree with the 25 yard zero, but the problem there, lets be honest, most people can't shoot a good enough group at 25 to get a good zero. 10 is a good place to start. Interesting numbers in the article.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I agree with the 25 yard zero, but the problem there, lets be honest, most people can't shoot a good enough group at 25 to get a good zero. 10 is a good place to start. Interesting numbers in the article.
    I agree, I thought the same thing, getting hits at 25 is one thing but a good group to zero off of would be another.

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    If you can't shoot a good enough group off a sandbag at 25 yards to zero a red dot then that dot aint gonna help ya

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm going with a 10 yard zero knowing that I need to aim a couple inches low if I'm in the 20-25 yards range.

Top Bottom