• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    6mT6BPi.jpg

This might be a fun Thanksgiving thread , so over the last 3~ years I have been gradually working on using red dots on handguns. At first I could not really see immediate results being so used to iron sights so the transition was a bit tough (even with the big window on a Leupold Delta Point Pro).

Then as many other have said before with a lot of dry fire practice and range time finding the dot became second nature and I actually found that the "target focus" the red dot provides really allows you to focus on the trigger press and grip.

A good example of this would be group size with borderline identical pistols

N32e2zv.jpg

My stock P365 (both shot with 12 round mags so grip is similar and both targets at 10 yards). The stock Sig sights in a P365 I find difficult to shoot very well due to the small aight radius and how "fat the sights are"

NVctqKD.jpg

Then the groups clean up significantly with the P365X and it's 2MOA dot. At this point going forward I honestly don't think I will ever purchase a handgun not capable of equipping a red dot. Honestly I could never group my P365 that well before.

What say INGO on this , am I right and red dots on hand guns are the future or am I totally crazy. Personally I think they are one of the biggest innovations in handgun shooting in recent memory , with others being the new 10+1 9mm compacts and new hollow point technology like HST's.

Also anyone else going away from lower capacity guns to larger heaver pistols for carry given the rise in violent crime over the last 2~ years. If I am not carrying the P365x I am carrying my Staccato.

Also I thought it was interesting the weight difference between the P365 with 12+1 and the P365x with 12+1 and dot was only 1 ounce. Plus the back up rear sight the 507k gives you also works out to about 10 yards as well with a very low 1/3 co-witness so I did not feel a dedicated rear sight was nessesary.

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have an astigmatism so I try to stay away from red dots. I put a holosun 407k on my 365xl and like it alot. I guess the 6 moa dot helps because the 2moa dots on my aimpoints look like a slash, and the 6moa is a perfect circle.

I agree I want a dot on all my handguns now. I don't really see a speed increase or accuracy increase, but the increased field of view is nice being able to see all the target.

I also agree on wanting more capacity I carry two 15rnd spare mags now and the 12rnd in the gun. Once I get my M&P slide cut it'll be my winter carry again, but the 365xl is just too easy to carry.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Considering I have been carrying one for almost 12 years now, I think they are the present, not the future, but yes. There are still improvements to be made and probably dramatic changes. I look forward to seeing those. I am in the market for a Stacatto C2 DUO myself, I take it you like yours? A P?

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Red dots aren't the future, they are the present. For those over 50ish they offer a level of precision that iron sights no longer do.
    How do you like that leupy? I've only used a burris on a 22 and my holosun on my edc

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Considering I have been carrying one for almost 12 years now, I think they are the present, not the future, but yes. There are still improvements to be made and probably dramatic changes. I look forward to seeing those. I am in the market for a Stacatto C2 DUO myself, I take it you like yours? A P?

Correct mine is a P and I love it definitely my favorite handgun so flat shooting it's almost like cheating.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been experimenting for awhile now and am still deciding whether it's an advantage for me. If your experience was with say M4's and a CCO it doesn't translate the same to handguns. Rifles with red dots are easier to pick up and go but handguns require more work as they aren't as forgiving as a rifle mounted with a red dot optic. So far i've tried the Aimpoint Acro P1, RMR's and the Holosun 509T, the ACRO has been my favorite, I sold my P1 when the P2 was announced but they aren't available yet, sold my RMR's and got another 509T as i'm a fan of the enclosed systems. I just put a 509T on a Glock 17 Gen5 MOS, the plate is just what I got free with the sight but I have to order a C&H plate. I agree that with the red dot (at least for me) you can shoot much more accurately especially at distance. All in all though i'm pretty happy with them, except for my 1911's and HP's I probably wouldn't buy a new semi-auto that wasn't optic compatible.

xxbzWr9l.jpg

hazmbHTl.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    6mT6BPi.jpg

This might be a fun Thanksgiving thread , so over the last 3~ years I have been gradually working on using red dots on handguns. At first I could not really see immediate results being so used to iron sights so the transition was a bit tough (even with the big window on a Leupold Delta Point Pro).

Then as many other have said before with a lot of dry fire practice and range time finding the dot became second nature and I actually found that the "target focus" the red dot provides really allows you to focus on the trigger press and grip.

A good example of this would be group size with borderline identical pistols

N32e2zv.jpg

My stock P365 (both shot with 12 round mags so grip is similar and both targets at 10 yards). The stock Sig sights in a P365 I find difficult to shoot very well due to the small aight radius and how "fat the sights are"

NVctqKD.jpg

Then the groups clean up significantly with the P365X and it's 2MOA dot. At this point going forward I honestly don't think I will ever purchase a handgun not capable of equipping a red dot. Honestly I could never group my P365 that well before.

What say INGO on this , am I right and red dots on hand guns are the future or am I totally crazy. Personally I think they are one of the biggest innovations in handgun shooting in recent memory , with others being the new 10+1 9mm compacts and new hollow point technology like HST's.

Also anyone else going away from lower capacity guns to larger heaver pistols for carry given the rise in violent crime over the last 2~ years. If I am not carrying the P365x I am carrying my Staccato.

Also I thought it was interesting the weight difference between the P365 with 12+1 and the P365x with 12+1 and dot was only 1 ounce. Plus the back up rear sight the 507k gives you also works out to about 10 yards as well with a very low 1/3 co-witness so I did not feel a dedicated rear sight was nessesary.
    I'm where you were 3 years ago. Yes I'm more accurate and more so at longer range, but slow compared to using iron sights. I've been dry fire practicing and I'm starting to get where I see the red dot about half the time in presentation from draw. It's going to take more practice for me.

15 yards or less its slower than iron sights, 20+ yards it is actually faster than iron sights. 50 yard shots are a breeze with a red dot.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Im on the RDS boat. This is my current edc. I put shots on targets at 50yds with and without the dot but it’s substantially more consistent with the dot. 15 yards trying get shots on target quick and accurate i dont see much of a grouping difference. I do agree its much easier to figure out your grip and trigger pull with a dot.
    A378499E-E818-4247-BF38-F9F9A98A6877.jpeg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    40+ years of shootings handguns with iron sights it's taking me awhile to get use to the red dot sight. Are there any tips on achieving it faster other than lots of draw and dry fire?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    40+ years of shootings handguns with iron sights it's taking me awhile to get use to the red dot sight. Are there any tips on achieving it faster other than lots of draw and dry fire?

Try throwing a snap cap in with the slide locked back then hit the slide release, get back on the target, and dry fire. For me anyway, the repetition of that created some muscle memory so when i draw the dot is in the window 95% of the time.

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    I've been experimenting for awhile now and am still deciding whether it's an advantage for me. If your experience was with say M4's and a CCO it doesn't translate the same to handguns. Rifles with red dots are easier to pick up and go but handguns require more work as they aren't as forgiving as a rifle mounted with a red dot optic. So far i've tried the Aimpoint Acro P1, RMR's and the Holosun 509T, the ACRO has been my favorite, I sold my P1 when the P2 was announced but they aren't available yet, sold my RMR's and got another 509T as i'm a fan of the enclosed systems. I just put a 509T on a Glock 17 Gen5 MOS, the plate is just what I got free with the sight but I have to order a C&H plate. I agree that with the red dot (at least for me) you can shoot much more accurately especially at distance. All in all though i'm pretty happy with them, except for my 1911's and HP's I probably wouldn't buy a new semi-auto that wasn't optic compatible.

xxbzWr9l.jpg

hazmbHTl.jpg
    I'm trying to go the other way I've got a 509 and want the 507. The 509 prints too much when I carry

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Last year I put a dot on my M&P. I shot it all winter. In spring I brought out my 1911 9 mm iron sights. I immediately shot better with that even though I had approximately 2000 rounds downrange with the M&P. So I shot it all summer, fuzzy front sight and all.

Now heading into winter I'm going to try the dot again. The different between the two pistols was not dot vs irons as much as the trigger. I just didn't have good trigger discipline the 1911 is much more forgiving.

I didn't run my 1911 today at the range. Which was the first time since early spring that I didn't. I shot my Shield(iron sights) and my M&P. I was only slightly better with the M&P dot over the Shield with irons.

But today I worked on focusing on the target and when the dot appeared on the target I pulled the trigger. For me, I was happy with my performance.

So this winter my focus will be target focus, let the dot superimpose on the target and send it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Red dots aren't the future, they are the present. For those over 50ish they offer a level of precision that iron sights no longer do.
    I'm 56...and no problem using iron sights out to 30 yards with pistols and 100 yards with a revolver!
    I've never even shot a red dot mounted on a pistol...and do not feel inclined to do so at any time in the near future!
    I've never felt comfortable having something mounted on my pistol that requires batteries...
    Too many are becoming too reliant on electronic things...
    To me, they're just something that can and will (at some point) fail!

Top Bottom