• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yeah its that time of the year. Tractor is stuck not up to the axle but stuck. So I am thinking of either mounting a winch on the front bumper or using a receiver mounted 3 point adapter on the older tractor. I am looking at a 12k pound pull capacity model. Not understanding winches I am not sure if I could mount it to the tractor and anchor the opposite end to a tree to keep the winch from pulling the lighter tractor forward versus assisting the other tractor out?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember, winch ratings are for when the object is a flat, level pull, on a hard surface.
    Mud or hill is going to affect the rating.
    Also, you might need to add a second battery.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sometimes things are best left to pros. If you are beyond what you are prepared for, call a wrecker service and don't tear anything up. Why buy equipment when the plan should be not to do this again.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Remember, winch ratings are for when the object is a flat, level pull, on a hard surface.
    Mud or hill is going to affect the rating.
    Also, you might need to add a second battery.
    They are? I've always known the rating as maximum pull before stall. I've used a 500# come along to move a 7000# vehicle without issue.

I've also stalled a 8000# rated winch trying to pull a 4500# Jeep out of the mud. Solved with a double-line pull, effectively making upping the pulling power to 16K#.

Back to the OP: unless you really want a winch, I wouldn't bother just for a 1-time tractor recovery. A 10K rated strap/chain and your other tractor will likely do it. Even a Hi-lift and a chain (and tree or something else heavy) would likely do it, just slowly.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    3ee91a1f93fd2b6f3026d128d4936f98.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Max line pull = maximum pull before winch stalls. Yes, it is impacted by the number of "wraps" on the drum. The rating stamped on your winch is typically with a single layer on the drum.

An 8K winch should dead-lift 8K.

You can actually lift a vehicle with an installed winch, though I would not recommend it:
    A bad idea not because of line pull, but because most vehicle winches don't have brakes rated for overhead lifting.

I think the "buy a winch 1.5x your GVWR" is just overly-simplified for the layman. I also think the explanation of "a hill" is overly-simplified.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wondering how a hand operated one might work? looks like there are some pretty stout ones out there that people report pulling Jeep’s back onto road with? Almost wondering if it would work, added benefit would be stretching fences as needed.

Top Bottom