• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know we have more than several electricians here on INGO and Nephw #3 completed his AA and is working as an apprentice at a new hospital near Pittsburgh (he is currently on "duct duty" crawling through the ducts to work). Pay is great and at 19 living at home he does not have much overhead. However, we did text me about wanting a Heavy Duty Zip Tie gun.

Went to several hardware stores here today, no dice. Dropped by Lafayette Electronic Supply but they were closed for the holiday.

Any one have any recommendations for what I should get him, particularly those in the trade? I bought him a Gerber multitool, is there something else an electrician that would be helpful?

TIA.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Many of the electricians I've worked with have used the Panduit version. They are expensive, but seem to do a good job and hold up. The current version is called "Panduit GTS-E Ergonomic Cable Tie Hand Tool".

https://www.panduit.com/en/products...tie-installation-tools-accessories/gts-e.html

You can buy from Grainger, Amazon, CDW, etc.

I'd try to call/stop in Chapman Electrical Supply in Noblesville and see what they've got. Kirby Risk or AllPhase in Lafayette might also have one.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Many of the electricians I've worked with have used the Panduit version. They are expensive, but seem to do a good job and hold up. The current version is called "Panduit GTS-E Ergonomic Cable Tie Hand Tool".

https://www.panduit.com/en/products...tie-installation-tools-accessories/gts-e.html

You can buy from Grainger, Amazon, CDW, etc.

I'd try to call/stop in Chapman Electrical Supply in Noblesville and see what they've got. Kirby Risk or AllPhase in Lafayette might also have one.
    This pretty much covers it, but I would add All Phase Electric in to a local place you might find one Or McMaster Carr, don't get a light duty one though.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Being in low voltage electrical for IBEW 20 years we use zip ties often. Never have I used a zip tie gun. We do not want to bind the cables up real tight and ruin the electrical properties of the wire. True sparkly might be different but their are some jobs that say no wire ties used in the job. A nice set of flush cut wire strippers for cutting off the plastic flush. Never have I been cut worse that wire ties snipped off incorrectly.

I would get him a few bang sticks (shows live wire voltage) ((safety first)) a nice pair of 9’s. Electrical tools buy KLINE or IDEAL.

On the tool front look at veto pro pac the tool pouches. TP5b or TP4b. Since I got mine I have not left a tool anywhere and had to go back to get it. They are open top so you can see everything and have a solid bottom so they stand up and don’t get muddy. Add the padded shoulder strap for 22 dollars and he may well have that setup his whole career in the trades. Lifetime no question asked. I can not say how much that pouch gets used. I can turn it upside down and all the tools stay in. I can strap it on a panel or a hook. I can strap it on my lift.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    As far as tools go.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Twist the tails off flush at the lock on the wire tie with linesman or dikes. Retired IBEW and I have always twisted the tails off. It's safer to twist them off than to cut them off. I have seen first hand the stub leftover from the cuts cut like a knife. You can use a wire tie gun but why carry another tool that isn't needed and can cause hazards where you definitely don't want them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Twist the tails off flush at the lock on the wire tie with linesman or dikes. Retired IBEW and I have always twisted the tails off. It's safer to twist them off than to cut them off. I have seen first hand the stub leftover from the cuts cut like a knife. You can use a wire tie gun but why carry another tool that isn't needed and can cause hazards where you definitely don't want them.
    This would cause the cables I use to compress the wires to tight. Thus why we use a small flush cut. Higher gauge cable this would be fine but I deal mainly with 8 24 gauge wires under one jacket twisted at different rates to eliminate cross talk.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    This would cause the cables I use to compress the wires to tight. Thus why we use a small flush cut. Higher gauge cable this would be fine but I deal mainly with 8 24 gauge wires under one jacket twisted at different rates to eliminate cross talk.
    Twisted jacketed Cat6 and fiber for years without issue. Have done too many PLCs to count and have had zero issues with twisting the tails off. Yes there is a technique to learn but my 8yr gson old has learned it so Kirks nephew shouldnt have a issue.
    Flush cuts even leave stubs.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Wow, I had no idea there were so many Sparkies here. :cool:
    I retired from the IBEW in 2019 and the only time I used a tie wrap gun was at a nuke plant. It was required and they worked very well since they had a torque setting. The first time you reach into a cabinet and slice the back of your hand or forearm open on a cut tie wrap end you will start twisting them.
    For a gift I'd go with this. Every home should have one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got theThomas and Betts TY-Rap ERG50.Love it.

Just make sure you buy the correct one. There are several models. I got a 120 first. would bust the locking tabs about every 3rd tie. Turns out even with the tension all the way down it was still too much. Then I found the 50 and its great.

Amazon product ASIN B003A6BWGW

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had no idea that zip ties could be so dangerous (from the cuts, etc.)! Then again, I mostly use them for things they really probably weren't designed for, like holding the discharge shoot on my lawnmower deck. And I just leave the tails intact for that. :):

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Being in low voltage electrical for IBEW 20 years we use zip ties often. Never have I used a zip tie gun. We do not want to bind the cables up real tight and ruin the electrical properties of the wire. True sparkly might be different but their are some jobs that say no wire ties used in the job. A nice set of flush cut wire strippers for cutting off the plastic flush. Never have I been cut worse that wire ties snipped off incorrectly.

I would get him a few bang sticks (shows live wire voltage) ((safety first)) a nice pair of 9’s. Electrical tools buy KLINE or IDEAL.

On the tool front look at veto pro pac the tool pouches. TP5b or TP4b. Since I got mine I have not left a tool anywhere and had to go back to get it. They are open top so you can see everything and have a solid bottom so they stand up and don’t get muddy. Add the padded shoulder strap for 22 dollars and he may well have that setup his whole career in the trades. Lifetime no question asked. I can not say how much that pouch gets used. I can turn it upside down and all the tools stay in. I can strap it on a panel or a hook. I can strap it on my lift.
    I second most of this. Im a local 134 "A" card. I'm certified to do most except lineman utility stuff. The flush cuts are what we use. Never use tools to tighten zip ties, wire nuts, etc. More harm than good

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    my wiring harness experience is with, I think, a paladin brand cable tie gun. works very well, and has adjustable tension. Web search came up with a Greenlee tool that looks like what I have used.

Top Bottom