• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Cooler plugged solid. Hard to say if that happened after burning it up or that is the cause of it being burnt.
    Definitely top 5 in my career for most fd up trans to rebuild
    It's out of an 01 BMW 740i
    I had an '01 540i M Sport. Absolutely LOVED driving that thing but DAYUM the maintenance issues that start arising around the 120k mile mark!! I've only given up in my quest to make lemonade out of lemons on 1 vehicle but on this one I saw the hand writing in the checkbook and decided to bail on it. It was just starting to experience minor transmission slippage which in researching was typically due to an internal seal failure in the torque convertor. It was also becoming apparent that the timing chains and guides were due and this was after all of the other maintenance time and $$$$$ I'd already spent on it.

I sold it to some kid that didn't hear a word I said about what he was facing, he was grinning ear to ear when he left the driveway. His dad thanked me for being honest about and told me that junior was about to learn a life lesson.

My wife still catches me staring lustily at 540's and 740's with the sport package on Craigslist.

1611410552209.png

Not mine but I wish. Just don't let the wife know!

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The van lives. New engine had a lifter tick on startup but it cleared itself out after about 20 minutes. Runs smooth as a sewing machine. Cannot express how glad I am that it’s done and working. Took it for a ten minutes drive in the country to get it up to operating temp and highway speeds. All good signs. No leaks or funky noises or overheating.

In other news, I am officially retiring from the engine swapping game. Lol

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The van lives. New engine had a lifter tick on startup but it cleared itself out after about 20 minutes. Runs smooth as a sewing machine. Cannot express how glad I am that it’s done and working. Took it for a ten minutes drive in the country to get it up to operating temp and highway speeds. All good signs. No leaks or funky noises or overheating.

Is this a 1 and done thing.
    Just think of all that money you saved and now you get to rock that sweet rig for many years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

:laugh6:

Do not get rid of your engine hoist. I might need to borrow it.....:):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Anybody ever apply expanding foam into your frame rails? Looking to seal out moisture in the convert and possibly the Galaxie. I know that closed cell foam is the way to go and have read a couple of articles that say it can result in a noticeable increase in chassis stiffness which isn't a concern but can't hurt.

I've found several articles that refer to a product called Foamseal, PN 11-22 but that company seems to be no more. I'd treat the areas with cavity wax after thoroughly flushing them clean and allow to dry then apply the foam.

Thoughts?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I know dodge has installed foam into the panels of pickups, and it is known to contribute to rust. I don't know if its closed cell, its definitely not expanding type foam. So really i guess i didn't help at all

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    After researching the foam fill idea it seems odd but it has the exact opposite result of that which I desire; to lock out moisture and slow or eliminate rust in the frame rails so a good water flushing, allow it to dry thoroughly and cavity wax will be the extent of prep in this area.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I picked the GN up on Saturday. Ended up making the trip to Evansville and back by myself. Both of my side kicks had to work. Down and back with no problems. They fixed a lot of issues with the dash wiring. They said someone has had the dash out before and had several pinched wires and issues. They also welded and gusseted the driver side header, fixed the crossover leak and found the EGR valve had the wrong gasket on it and was leaking. With the weather sucking, I've only got about 4 miles when I got home on Saturday. I've been putting new catalytic converters on my sons G6 GXP and had to finish it up so the GN could have it's parking space back before the bad weather Sunday so that's why I didn't get much time. I will say, I don't believe it's ran this good since I got it. It's spooling up quicker than ever and I had to back the wastegate back to get the boost under control. I'm real anxious to get some seat time. Good to have it back.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Top Bottom