• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you can afford it change the hoses, t stat, and plugs as well. Serp belt and tensioner may not be a bad idea as well

I'd consider putting an engine gasket set in the motor just because he can. I've done FWD V6 head gaskets before and I don't intend to ever do it again.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As clean as that piece looks I would personally hang the new timing belt and water pump, belt and hoses and up into the family truckster it goes.

At minimum, I'd do the most probable and easiest to service oil leak spots that are basically impossible to do later. So, front cover, rear main, oil pan, and valve covers. Maybe a couple of hours and maybe a hundred bucks. It would be worth it to me to not have those issues later.

PMing the head gaskets might be a bridge too far, but I'm good at that... ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At minimum, I'd do the most probable and easiest to service oil leak spots that are basically impossible to do later. So, front cover, rear main, oil pan, and valve covers. Maybe a couple of hours and maybe a hundred bucks. It would be worth it to me to not have those issues later.

PMing the head gaskets might be a bridge too far, but I'm good at that... ;)
    OK in the world of absolutes yes. If it was a keeper.
    But knowing our boy as I do (and I do know him...:):) this is merely a stop gap measure. I can see him worrying to death over this whole deal and next summer the family truckster will find a new home.

I have done way to many bone yard swaps in this life with only a few failures as to leaks. So my alarm bells are not sounding especially when he can look it over top[/bottom....front/back and make that decision.

Now, as Murphy (yeah that Murphy) will often tell you......maybe you should have.....:):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    But knowing our boy as I do (and I do know him...:):) this is merely a stop gap measure. I can see him worrying to death over this whole deal and next summer the family truckster will find a new home.

My main failure is forgetting this is CP and it will be gone in 5 minutes. I keep my stuff forever so it's not a way I'm used to thinking about these things.

I have done way to many bone yard swaps in this life with only a few failures as to leaks. So my alarm bells are not sounding especially when he can look it over top[/bottom....front/back and make that decision.

Now, as Murphy (yeah that Murphy) will often tell you......maybe you should have.....:):

You're an old school SBC guy and you haven't been stung by massive oil leaks out of the junkyard...? You may be the luckiest man alive! :laugh6:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My main failure is forgetting this is CP and it will be gone in 5 minutes. I keep my stuff forever so it's not a way I'm used to thinking about these things.

You're an old school SBC guy and you haven't been stung by massive oil leaks out of the junkyard...? You may be the luckiest man alive! :laugh6:
    I have never been one to keep something forever. It never ends the way I envisioned it to end as to vehicles.
    1885 Monti Carlo SS bought brand new. I was in love with those cars regardless of how gutless the drive trains were. Black with the SS stripes. No idiot holes in the roof ("T" tops) and the grey interior. I loved that car and had plans for it.
    I replaced it as the family ride with a 1996 Impala SS. Last year of the rear wheel drive full size GM cars. I was keeping them both "Forever"

The Monti got Tee boned and totaled 1 block from my house after we completely restored it from the family abuse. The Impala was hit in the ass multiple times all sitting dead stopped at a light. Never totaled but the frame got jacked in the last one. Time to go.

Cars are merely items I dump huge amounts of time and money into and then send them down the road.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have never been one to keep something forever. It never ends the way I envisioned it to end as to vehicles.
    1885 Monti Carlo SS bought brand new. I was in love with those cars regardless of how gutless the drive trains were. Black with the SS stripes. No idiot holes in the roof ("T" tops) and the grey interior. I loved that car and had plans for it.
    I replaced it as the family ride with a 1996 Impala SS. Last year of the rear wheel drive full size GM cars. I was keeping them both "Forever"

The Monti got Tee boned and totaled 1 block from my house after we completely restored it from the family abuse. The Impala was hit in the ass multiple times all sitting dead stopped at a light. Never totaled but the frame got jacked in the last one. Time to go.

Cars are merely items I dump huge amounts of time and money into and then send them down the road.

I knew you were old, but... ;) I do like the G bodies.

For better or worse, my "forever" fleet is so far all sticking around so far. I'm starting to think it's actually becoming a bad thing since I'm missing out on some pretty critical safety and comfort enhancements. Within the next few years I'm likely to promote most of my current fleet to "toy" and do whatever with it and buy 1 modern driver to actually drive. I'm getting tired of always working on the stuff I need to depend on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I knew you were old, but... ;) I do like the G bodies.

For better or worse, my "forever" fleet is so far all sticking around so far. I'm starting to think it's actually becoming a bad thing since I'm missing out on some pretty critical safety and comfort enhancements. Within the next few years I'm likely to promote most of my current fleet to "toy" and do whatever with it and buy 1 modern driver to actually drive. I'm getting tired of always working on the stuff I need to depend on.
    I have always kept CKW and the family in solid units. Reliable/comfortable.
    At this point in my life having decided to roll my truck until we both rust out and fall by the side of the road I put a lot of time/effort/cash into it and it seems (knock on wood) to have payed off.

I never in a million years saw us in a Cadillac. Ever. Farthest thing from my mind.
    Right place/right time. So far outside of replacing the all to common failing rear air ride the car has been spot on. If we can squeak 2 years out of it with minimal maint. I will feel blessed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Wait! What???

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My toy/project cars revolve around pretty regular but the family units tend to stick around as long as possible. I put a new engine in my Silverado almost three years ago and it’s still around. I’ll probably drive the minivan until the trans goes out.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Here's what I'm currently working on:

20210108_143708.jpg

Ultimately the chunk of aluminum will come to resemble the pattern to it's left. Mounting a power steering pump on the racecar motor but with the addition of an electric water pump I had to lower the PS pump about 4 inches for V belt routing. Unfortunately the aluminum won't machine as easily as the solid surface counter top material I used to make the dummy mount. Since I don't have a bandsaw here at the house I'm going to try a sawzall for the major cuts. It probably won't be as pretty as a store bought mount when complete but it will work just fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the T-400 sourced and being built by an Ingo member.
    The converter is in the mail.
    The list has been passed along and the funds are rolling in.
    Looks like we might actually get going here soon.

Top Bottom