• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Been a while since I’ve posted here. Have changed set ups, now Typical LS/Turbo/Glide/E85 combo. Hit my first single digit 1/4 ever last year while coasting after an 1/8 pass. Had total boost in at 5.5 seconds this pass and should be able to get that down to around 2 seconds. More boost/timing to still be added as well. This was just my third time out with the set up so was looking for a 5 second 1/8 mile here. Showing good potential for a stockish 5.3.

Attachments

• 933436D0-7BBB-4F30-88C5-C63300769B45.jpeg
      933436D0-7BBB-4F30-88C5-C63300769B45.jpeg
      357 KB · Views: 12
    • 06EE8F27-E547-4877-95E9-FCFDF7635311.jpeg
      06EE8F27-E547-4877-95E9-FCFDF7635311.jpeg
      256.5 KB · Views: 12

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Been a while since I’ve posted here. Have changed set ups, now Typical LS/Turbo/Glide/E85 combo. Hit my first single digit 1/4 ever last year while coasting after an 1/8 pass. Had total boost in at 5.5 seconds this pass and should be able to get that down to around 2 seconds. More boost/timing to still be added as well. This was just my third time out with the set up so was looking for a 5 second 1/8 mile here. Showing good potential for a stockish 5.3.

What ECU are you using?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm wrapping up my 351w build right now and I'm going to be an absolute dingus and run a factory ECU for it.
    351 Windsor with factory crank, DSS pistons gapped for boost (Quinlinn did it, didn't give me specs), camshaft I bought is supposed to be a factory shaft on steroids because factory 302 HO cams are good for boost, I'm pretty sure the injectors I bought are 80lb units, and I'm running GT40P heads. I forget the intake exact model, but pretty sure it's a China unit. Rocker arms are TBD - I have a set of Cranes but need to call about them. Some of them roll freely, some of them hang up unless you remove the shaft retaining clip, then they spin freely. Unsure how big of a deal this is.

My plan is to run it with an S475 turbo. I have to buy a new shaft for it, so I'm going to also buy a smaller housing. 83mm shaft and a 1.10 housing. Hoping for pretty good spool up on it.
    Gonna have to gate the bajeesus out of it at first - thankfully I have an aftermarket gate ready to go.

Plan is to use a Quarterhorse to tune it. There's a company in Australia making chips. I'll buy a couple of those and a burner, get my tune finalized, and burn the tune. I need to buy two chips, because I need to put a more permanent tune in my 92, too.

Attachments

• 20240125_205549.jpg
      20240125_205549.jpg
      318.4 KB · Views: 6
    • 20240207_221025.jpg
      20240207_221025.jpg
      283.6 KB · Views: 6

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Pretty impressive pass! I'll have to keep and eye out for you at Muncie.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm wrapping up my 351w build right now and I'm going to be an absolute dingus and run a factory ECU for it.
    351 Windsor with factory crank, DSS pistons gapped for boost (Quinlinn did it, didn't give me specs), camshaft I bought is supposed to be a factory shaft on steroids because factory 302 HO cams are good for boost, I'm pretty sure the injectors I bought are 80lb units, and I'm running GT40P heads. I forget the intake exact model, but pretty sure it's a China unit. Rocker arms are TBD - I have a set of Cranes but need to call about them. Some of them roll freely, some of them hang up unless you remove the shaft retaining clip, then they spin freely. Unsure how big of a deal this is.

My plan is to run it with an S475 turbo. I have to buy a new shaft for it, so I'm going to also buy a smaller housing. 83mm shaft and a 1.10 housing. Hoping for pretty good spool up on it.
    Gonna have to gate the bajeesus out of it at first - thankfully I have an aftermarket gate ready to go.

Plan is to use a Quarterhorse to tune it. There's a company in Australia making chips. I'll buy a couple of those and a burner, get my tune finalized, and burn the tune. I need to buy two chips, because I need to put a more permanent tune in my 92, too.
    I was really hoping I had you talked into a Holley system.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

That's purty! I'd thought about a 351w for our convertible but I already have one fire breather, I don't need another.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well since everyone is giving updates, it only took the engine shop a year to get it done but we got our engine back and it's bolted in the car. They are so busy this is becoming the norm for them. Have to reroute some oil lines for the dry sump that were oriented a little off to fit correctly in the chassis (they're a tight fit). And, still need to put the headers on, adjust valves, fill it with fluids etc. So about 6 or 7 hours worth of work should have it ready to run and drive. But, then I need to get it into a chassis shop for what should be a super simple update so I can have the chassis recertified. There's 1 bar in the foot box area of the floor that per SFI rules now has to be a larger diameter. Still thinking about adding a stand alone fluid pump to pump trans fluid through the cooler while in the pits. Never had any issues with trans temps but since the rounds seem to come faster in bracket racing than in the heads up world, it gives us some concern.
    Otherwise, I just need to do a little trailer maintenance and some golf cart maintenance to be ready to go.
    Also, been trying to get ahold of NHRA because I still haven't gotten my new license (renewed end of November).

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.

I

I’ve used factory A9L ECU with FMU and MSD BTM on a 302 blower set up, Factory ECU with Anderson PMS piggyback system, MegaSquirt PNP 2, and now Holley EFI with my LS swap. I can say 100% that Holley EFI is BY FAR my favorite. I was going to do a roller 351 Windsor for my Fox but decided on LS. I’d strongly consider E85 with forced induction. E requires about 35% more fuel over 93 so it’ll put more demand on your fuel system. I’m running Bosch 210’s for injectors, 3 in tank Aeromotive 340lph pumps but am going to ditch that for one big external pump/cell set up.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I was really hoping I had you talked into a Holley system.
    I'm not talked out of Holley. I can't afford it this year. I want the car to run in the next few months and my budget won't allow for a Holley in that time frame. Monetarily, I'm not gonna be out all that much when I switch. The vert will stay on a factory ECU for a long time, so the chip and chip burner that I buy will be used for the vert as well as the Notch.

I

I’ve used factory A9L ECU with FMU and MSD BTM on a 302 blower set up, Factory ECU with Anderson PMS piggyback system, MegaSquirt PNP 2, and now Holley EFI with my LS swap. I can say 100% that Holley EFI is BY FAR my favorite. I was going to do a roller 351 Windsor for my Fox but decided on LS. I’d strongly consider E85 with forced induction. E requires about 35% more fuel over 93 so it’ll put more demand on your fuel system. I’m running Bosch 210’s for injectors, 3 in tank Aeromotive 340lph pumps but am going to ditch that for one big external pump/cell set up.
    This is all good to know. I'm not against E85. Starting off "simple" this year is what I'm after.
    I completely forget what injectors I bought - they were bought almost 2 years ago.... Hoping they haven't gone bad while sitting in their packaging. Pretty sure I bought 80lb injectors. Need to go look.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Many of you know I run a Rio in Time Attack... yeah a bit of an oxymoron. And I also run a little side business offering oil analysis to my fellow amatuer racers answering the age old question : Am I using the right oil, and if so am I changing it soon enough? Well, Rio has been consuming oil on track pretty quickly. Car technically holds 3.5 quarts, I run 4 and a 2 day weekend I'll go through 2 qts of oil. So I did an analysis on my car. Here's my write up as if it was a normal customer with the results:

1710333636970.png
    1710333648780.png

Sadly not sunshine and rainbows for the poor little car, but that was expected. She's had a pretty harsh life for the last 4 years. Sitting in NE Ohio for 18 months completely dead, not started/ran/driven. Then I bought it, drove it 4.5 hours home at 80mph, changed the oil and the following weekend had it on track at NCM. Car ran 7 2 day weekends that year plus the driving to and from, One Lap the following year and another 7 2 day weekends followed by One Lap AGAIN last year where I broke my collar bone and she sat most of the summer. I did get her out to two events, one that was 10 hours of driving each way. Oh, and until March of last year she was ALSO my DD.

This engine owes me literally nothing.

Top Bottom