rant: at&t phone insurance is wack, google warranty/service is wack - feels like a big april fools joke. also, samsung, apple, or..?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    exercising brevity here so please don't mistake that for unreasonableness.. it's been a long day :40oz:

Years ago I damaged my new Pixel 5 within a few days. At&t insurance was completed in-store and somehow easily replaced it, but with a Pixel "5a". Today that phone developed the infamous 'black screen of death' (won't turn on, dead). Problem is the 5a model itself is somehow not within the insurance company's database and it's my responsibility to do lots of paperwork and intrusive verifications in order to process a claim for a phone that was provided by them. I tried going the route of Google warranty, but that was even more ridiculous. It's all over forums about how much this is a pita and leads nowhere. To make a long story short - it's easier to go in tomorrow and just upgrade to a new phone and bypass using insurance - which kinda defeats the purpose of insurance, no? :scratch:

So, should I go Samsung? I used to have them exclusively when 'active' versions were made. might consider Apple but have never used one, always android. kinda considering a flip phone, too lol

thanks for reading my rant:nuts:, I hope your Saturday went well

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not like any device warranties because they require you to turn in the phone, a phone that you do not even get to attempt to erase your data from the device. Do not like even trading in either but warranty is the worst. Would anyone just leave a black screen device laying in Walmart and be surprised if it was hacked? Not me…

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I’ve always been told never to get the insurance. I use Apple. It’s simple and works. Apple doesn’t have the newest features but when they add them they work, whereas when I only had android you’d get the newest features but there’d be bugs. I also like Apple because they take user privacy pretty seriously. There was a point Facebook almost got removed from Apple marketplace because of their tracking. They also won’t unlock a phone for alphabet agencies because they can’t.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I’ve always been told never to get the insurance. I use Apple. It’s simple and works. Apple doesn’t have the newest features but when they add them they work, whereas when I only had android you’d get the newest features but there’d be bugs. I also like Apple because they take user privacy pretty seriously. There was a point Facebook almost got removed from Apple marketplace because of their tracking. They also won’t unlock a phone for alphabet agencies because they can’t.
    ^^^ THIS

I've never gotten the insurance on any of my phones. Over the years, I've saved enough from NOT paying for insurance that I could buy 5 new phones. It's a scam. You buy the insurance, but they make it so uncomfortable to redeem it, that you end up just upgrading your phone anyway. That's exactly what their business model is designed to make you do.

I switched to Apple about 8 years ago, and it is much better than Android IMO. Their quality control is better. Nothing gets on the App store unless it passes Apple's quality control. Anyone can develop an App for Android, and sometimes those apps don't get along, or they are filled with bugs. Apple just works well.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is why I buy cheap phones for cash. They work for a few years and during that time I put a few bucks a month into a sinking fund. Then I just get a new one when I'm ready.

The phone I'm using to type this is something called a Nord One+ I paid like $200 for. It's been going strong for almost three years now.

Extended warranties and insurance on consumer goods is a complete waste as the company isn't going to lose money, so they charge more than they pay out by a lot. Less than 15% of the cost of the premiums collected go toward covering claims. The rest is to cover the company's overhead and profit.

I know none of this helps the OP, but might help the next person someday.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You REALLY gotta read the warranty coverage too. Sometimes it just is as useless as **** on a boar.

I bought a LED flashlight from Olight on Amazon and it was for work and thought "what the heck. I'll get the warranty they recommended. Its only $5". I didnt read it in detail immediately.

I really liked the light so I ordered one on my dime. This time I read the fine print before I pulled the trigger. I learned the RECOMMENDED warranty is useless. Unless the aluminum body or o rings fail, nothing else is covered by the RECOMMENDED warranty. Almost ALL things that wear out on a rechargeable flashlight are exempt because it doesnt cover batteries, chargers, bulbs, or switches. :faint: (It MIGHT have included the switch but that felt like a grey area)

Oh, and another vote for Apple phones/tablets. "They just work". You dont have near the fake (security risk) apps, or other threats. And everything is the same from device to device. Unlike androids where your phone may be a bit different from your tablet (or your spouse's different phone)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    exercising brevity here so please don't mistake that for unreasonableness.. it's been a long day :40oz:

Years ago I damaged my new Pixel 5 within a few days. At&t insurance was completed in-store and somehow easily replaced it, but with a Pixel "5a". Today that phone developed the infamous 'black screen of death' (won't turn on, dead). Problem is the 5a model itself is somehow not within the insurance company's database and it's my responsibility to do lots of paperwork and intrusive verifications in order to process a claim for a phone that was provided by them. I tried going the route of Google warranty, but that was even more ridiculous. It's all over forums about how much this is a pita and leads nowhere. To make a long story short - it's easier to go in tomorrow and just upgrade to a new phone and bypass using insurance - which kinda defeats the purpose of insurance, no? :scratch:

So, should I go Samsung? I used to have them exclusively when 'active' versions were made. might consider Apple but have never used one, always android. kinda considering a flip phone, too lol

Not quite understanding your post. Years ago - how many years? You had your Pixel 5 replaced with a Pixel 5a and now it has problems. Most warranties are only good for a certain period of time. When you got your phone replaced, if you hadn't paid for insurance or signed up for it, I'm not sure how that's AT&T or Google's fault. I've had a Pixel 5a for about 18 months now and it's been fine for the price of the phone. I hope it'll last another 6 - 18 months and then I'll replace it with another inexpensive Android phone. I've been doing this pretty much ever since smartphones became a thing and it's worked pretty well for me.

My advice is twofold. First, ditch AT&T cause F them. You can get a much cheaper plan by going with Patriot Mobile or Straight Talk, or any of a number smaller cell phone companies. Second, make absolutely sure you know the manufacturers warranty terms (if any) and buy an additional warranty if needed (and read those terms as well). I'm not one of these people saying you have to switch from Android to Apple because that's just a shell game. If you don't think iPhones fail just as much as Android phones do, I have bad news for you ;)

Good luck.

blain

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    kinda considering a flip phone, too lol

If you're toying with the idea of moving to a flip phone, you should check out the Kyocera (made in Japan, not China), DuraXE Epic. The Kyocera Dura line of phones looks impressive, if you need something built solid.

Top Bottom