• ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I had an XD-S in .45. With 3.3" barrel. I always shot low left with it. I got so frustrated with it that I traded it in. I believe it was that particular gun. I could not afford a defense gun that I knew wasn't going to hit where I aimed it. I have friends who shoot the XDS with no issues. Now my P-938 is a different story. It goes where I point it. Sights or no sights, it is in the middle of the target. I've been very impressed with the 938s I've shot. I highly recommend that they be given a chance when someone is looking for a CCW in 9mm. It often rides in my pocket where the beretta 21A used to live. I never suggest others carry the way I carry, but I do pass on info as to what I have enjoyed and feel comfortable shooting. My wife has a pretty little Kimber in .380. It is very close to the 938, except pretty. When we introduce female friends to shooting; after a magazine or 2 in the buckmark, the kimber is used to see if that size and type would work for them. 9mm is a little snappy in that size pistol, but make a better defence round. So, if they decide they like the .380, we step up the trying it on to 9mm. I always talk them into trying a 1911 in 45 after that with the promise that it will not be snappy but more of a push or shove. Yes, I do make a snub nose .357 available with a lot of warnings and the pros for it.

I got the honor in Northern Illinois of introducing a K-9 officer's wife to shooting. She always refused to shoot his guns with him. I asked her one day what she would do if he was targeted and taken down while with her and the kids. It got her thinking. My next question was about how proficient she was with his side arm. The next week end we were all out in the country with my wife shooting different pistols till I walked over and took his Glock and handed it to her. She proceded to nail the 5 gallon buckets we had been shooting.

I wish I was rich enough to pass out 938s like stocking stuffers at Christmas.
    zzz1.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to put more rounds through my "new" SW 3rd gen 6946 DAO.
    Got out the Ruger P89 as well.
    21' on a hand rest using Blazer 124 grain.
    geXif00.jpg

A friend let me borrow his Glock 48 today.
    Wanted to shoot the XD 4" Service model again that I picked up recently.
    The first 5 rounds I shot with the Glock 48 on a practice target was 1 hole:
    I was thrilled.
    Then I proceeded to embarrass myself with the next 5 rounds shooting
    on that same practice target, shooting really low with 4/5 rounds.
    Didn't do much better here on the head shots with half the rounds low.
    On the small silhouette in the top right corner I at least captured 4 rds in one hole.
    3xrBi7h.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wanted to put more rounds through my "new" SW 3rd gen 6906 DAO.
    Got out the Ruger P89 as well.
    21' on a hand rest using Blazer 124 grain.
    geXif00.jpg

A friend let me borrow his Glock 48 today.
    Wanted to shoot the XD 4" Service model again that I picked up recently.
    The first 5 rounds I shot with the Glock 48 on a practice target was 1 hole:
    I was thrilled.
    Then I proceeded to embarrass myself with the next 5 rounds shooting
    on that same practice target, shooting really low with 4/5 rounds.
    Didn't do much better here on the head shots with half the rounds low.
    On the small silhouette in the top right corner I at least captured 4 rds in one hole.
    3xrBi7h.jpg

Ruger p89 was the 1st Semiautomatic 9mm i shot. My uncle brought it down we went out and shot it. I was a revolver guy until that point. Ruger P89 made me fall in love with Semiautomatic pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ruger p89 was the 1st Semiautomatic 9mm i shot. My uncle brought it down we went out and shot it. I was a revolver guy until that point. Ruger P89 made me fall in love with Semiautomatic pistols.

I have always loved a "tank" of a gun, but I've discovered I appreciate a slim grip as well.
    The Kahr CT9 really surprised me that I enjoyed it so much since I didn't care for their smaller guns.
    I wish I'd kept a Ruger Officer 1911 (twice I bought them), it was accurate & trim.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have always loved a "tank" of a gun, but I've discovered I appreciate a slim grip as well.
    The Kahr CT9 really surprised me that I enjoyed it so much since I didn't care for their smaller guns.
    I wish I'd kept a Ruger Officer 1911 (twice I bought them), it was accurate & trim.

I'm liking my CZ P10F a lot. Very small grip for 19rd capacity and very lightweight compared to the old P89.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to have some fun with 9mm but limited myself to only a box for obvious reasons.
    Still using some stocked ammo.
    Used some Federal American Eagle 147 grain that I bought over a year ago.

I shot two XDs & two Caniks with the SW 6946 3rd Gen DAO gun thrown in for good measure.
    I shot the Canik TP9X w/5.2" barrel twice since it had the best group of all of them.
    It did not disappoint since I was able to get a 3 in 1 on the X circle.

Circles:
    X = .75"
    10 = 1.75"
    9 = 2.75"
    8 = 3.75"

Attachments

• Range 01.27.2021 21 ft Canik x2. XD x2 & SW6946.jpg
      Range 01.27.2021 21 ft Canik x2. XD x2 & SW6946.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 22

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I miss shooting the 9mm w/ammo prices so high.
    I've picked up two Caniks & another XD that I enjoy, but don't want to use up my supply at the range.

Picked up another Kahr CT9 since I deeply regretted selling the original CT9.
    CT9 is essentially the same size (little longer, hair wider) as the XD-S.
    The XD-S with the red front optic & better trigger shoots well for me.

XD-S on left, Kahr on right.
    The top row are from a rest.
    The middle & bottom rows were free hand & the Kahr starts to fall behind.
    The Kahr DAO trigger doesn't bother me but the way it angles right before is shoots makes me have to position my finger differently than any other gun.

4" orange circles/dotsd
    Range 02.24.2021 Kahr CT9 & XD-S 21.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Odd, the pic you posted didn't show up here.
    I have always put my trigger finger in the middle of the finger joint shown on your pic.

Except, strangely enough, the Kahr CT9 which demands I put it closer to the trigger nearer to the end of my finger.
    Otherwise, my finger gets "crimped/hung up/stuck" if I don't.

I also always want to line the sights up as shown.
    Unfortunately, many guns don't have rear adjustable sights.
    I then have to cover the bullseye with the front dot on the sight (whether it is a red optic or a white dot).
    I have to use the "combat sight" method or it will shoot too low, which is irritating.

That's why I love an adjustable rear sight.
    I have sold guns just b/c they shot so low for me & I didn't want to reinvent the wheel replacing sights.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Odd, the pic you posted didn't show up here.
    I have always put my trigger finger in the middle of the finger joint shown on your pic.

Except, strangely enough, the Kahr CT9 which demands I put it closer to the trigger nearer to the end of my finger.
    Otherwise, my finger gets "crimped/hung up/stuck" if I don't.

I also always want to line the sights up as shown.
    Unfortunately, many guns don't have rear adjustable sights.
    I then have to cover the bullseye with the front dot on the sight (whether it is a red optic or a white dot).
    I have to use the "combat sight" method or it will shoot too low, which is irritating.

That's why I love an adjustable rear sight.
    I have sold guns just b/c they shot so low for me & I didn't want to reinvent the wheel replacing sights.
    Different guns OEM fixed sights and depending on which aftermarket fixed sights one may install, require different holds. Some are regulated for combat hold, some for 6 o'clock hold, etc, as you have found.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Different guns OEM fixed sights and depending on which aftermarket fixed sights one may install, require different holds. Some are regulated for combat hold, some for 6 o'clock hold, etc, as you have found.
    I’ve read about that!
    It used to drive me nuts when I had to use a combat hold with certain guns and I didn’t know about that I am new one way to cite in a target in a straight line across the top.

Thanks for the input, you have always been very helpful about pointing out things like this.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Pocket guns like the 42 n 43 and such are definitely harder to shoot two handed.
    Be surprised how accurate at close range “one handed” those lil’pocket rockets can be.
    I don't find that to be the case , I can shoot my Glock 42 far more accurately two handed than one hand. Or any other small gun I shoot like PPK/S , LCP II and Sig P365.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't find that to be the case , I can shoot my Glock 42 far more accurately two handed than one hand. Or any other small gun I shoot like PPK/S , LCP II and Sig P365.
    I have had many of them & posted range pics.
    If I had time right now I'd look some up & post them, but I've got to get a nap :fogey:.
    Just got back from a 4 hour range trip with a member's Russian .22LR competition pistol.

Leaving a 5:30 pm for a seminar:
    Learn About Self-Defense and Gun Laws at a Free Legal Seminar
    502 E Carmel Drive, Carmel, IN 46032
    Thursday, February 25, 2021 | 6:00pm

If you want or have a gun for protection, don’t wait until you need a lawyer to ask about your rights and responsibilities in a self-defense situation.
    - Join the U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)
    - free legal seminar with Attorney Guy Relford, and learn about these important topics for protectors.
    - Handgun and home-defense laws in your state
    - What happens after you’re forced to defend yourself
    - How to navigate a legal system that’s often stacked against responsibly armed Americans
    - Protecting your Second Amendment rights

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Borrowed & shot a friend's Sig 365 XL today.
    Didn't do well with it.
    I was surprised.

5 rounds each of the 3 targets.
    Obviously shooting low for me.
    12 round regular mag too small.
    15 round is fine.

pic with XL 12 rd mag.jpg

pic with XL 15.jpg

21' on a rest on 4" circles: no awards for me today. :dunno:
    Range with Zachs XL on 4.02.2021.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have the standard P365 and I can barely see the night sights at the covered outdoor range. The mags are hard to load all the way and the trigger still has some creep after reaching "the wall". Some of the reasons I went with a G43X MOS , will try it out at the range tomorrow with the open sights. And hopefully with an optic the next time after that.

Top Bottom