• ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    That’s some good shooting! My favorite range gun is a 1911 in 9mm. It’s more accurate than any of my 45s and I can load 9mm near half the cost of 45. It’s a pleasure to shoot!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Try using a B8 bullseye target. For best results at greater distances you should be using your sights and not looking at the target.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hadn't shot any 9mm for a bit & today I was shooting some revolvers but took the Kahr CW9 with me.
    21 feet
    There were 2 low shots that are not showing before I compensated.
    Range 01.04.2022 CM9.jpg

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I picked up an as new Shield from a find member here, but my work schedule keeps me from getting to an openness range within reasonable driving and freeway congestion, one more year ol buddy and I hang it all up too like you.
    I miss our old go to range on E Washington and Post.
    Going through these posts over the years, I would like to see your, this is what I had, and this is what I have now, I think the Springfield 9mm started it out, and now a Khar.
    I enjoy seeing and reading about them.
    Where are you finding range ammo under $20 a box?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up an as new Shield from a find member here, but my work schedule keeps me from getting to an openness range within reasonable driving and freeway congestion, one more year ol buddy and I hang it all up too like you.
    I miss our old go to range on E Washington and Post.
    Going through these posts over the years, I would like to see your, this is what I had, and this is what I have now, I think the Springfield 9mm started it out, and now a Khar.
    I enjoy seeing and reading about them.
    Where are you finding range ammo under $20 a box?
    We do go back a ways!
    Are you the one who bought my Shield 45?
    Also, it seems like you might have been the one I'd meet at an LEO parking lot.

I had to laugh when I saw the "range ammo under $20/box."
    That was 20,000 rounds of air gun pellets for 1 cent each.
    Must have been around 50 tins of multiple brands, mostly very good quality, more expensive than what I've been buying for 2-3 cents per round.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, Fishers PD the 9 with the xtra 8 rd mags, I was shooting it in November at my sons place in Washington Indiana, he liked it and my boss (wife) said to give it to him….well now you know the rest of the story, and I am so glad to get the one I have now from an INGO member.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was depressed today shooting revolvers with 38 & 357 ammo.
    Didn't even do much better with the heavier Kimber 6S.
    I got out the CZ Rami to salvage my function check range day.
    The Rami is one of only two range 9mms that I have kept, justifying it as a possible CC, but rarely used as such.

I couldn't get half the rounds in the 3.75" circles I was using today.
    I used the Kimber 6S .357 magnum, Ruger LCR .38 sp & SW 360 PD .357 magnum revolvers.
    Humbling! No pics, such was the appalling results.

21' at 3.75" circles using 9 mm reloads with spire point bullets.
    Should have used the 1.75" circles I had with me since the Rami shot so well for me.
    I got out the CZ Rami, one of the two range 9mms that I have kept, justified as a possible CC, but very rarely do I use it at such.

Range 02.25.2022 CZ Rami 21ft & 3.75in circles.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    What brand and weight are the spire point bullets? I need to load up some 9mm myself , picked up a new Sig P226 Elite this week and my optics slide with Romeo sight arrived yesterday. So I'll have to option of open sights or optics. Although the sights on the optic slide are the tall suppressor sights .

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What brand and weight are the spire point bullets? I need to load up some 9mm myself , picked up a new Sig P226 Elite this week and my optics slide with Romeo sight arrived yesterday. So I'll have to option of open sights or optics. Although the sights on the optic slide are the tall suppressor sights .
    125 grain
    I didn't even know there was a "brand" if they were just reloads. :lmfao:
    I get 38, 357 & 9mm reloads from an INGO friend as a "tip" when I occasionally sell something for him, like the Thompson Contender Gen 1 44 mag 14" barrel in Classifieds now.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    125 grain
    I didn't even know there was a "brand" if they were just reloads. :lmfao:
    I get 38, 357 & 9mm reloads from an INGO friend as a "tip" when I occasionally sell something for him, like the Thompson Contender Gen 1 44 mag 14" barrel in Classifieds now.
    Just wondering as I never was aware of a spire point 9mm. The 44 Mag TC barrels are a beast to shoot! I had a 10" and had to wear a weightlifting glove to shoot it. Got a 12" 44 with muzzle brake and weighted Hogue grips and forearm , decided that I would stick to my Smith 44 mag revolver! But the TCs are accurate shooters!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just wondering as I never was aware of a spire point 9mm. The 44 Mag TC barrels are a beast to shoot! I had a 10" and had to wear a weightlifting glove to shoot it. Got a 12" 44 with muzzle brake and weighted Hogue grips and forearm , decided that I would stick to my Smith 44 mag revolver! But the TCs are accurate shooters!
    I've heard they could be "stout" to shoot. :wallbash:
    Reminds me of yesterday when shooting a J frame 11.4 oz SW 360 PD .357 magnum: ouch!
    The 360 PD is so light even 38 special rounds let you know it isn't going to be a fun range day. :ugh:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've heard they could be "stout" to shoot. :wallbash:
    Reminds me of yesterday when shooting a J frame 11.4 oz SW 360 PD .357 magnum: ouch!
    The 360 PD is so light even 38 special rounds let you know it isn't going to be a fun range day. :ugh:
    Thats less than my 642 Airweight! And its a 38 Special and it has a fair amount of recoil. An 11.4 oz 357 - OUCH! I'll stick to my 686 2.5"!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a 2nd Gen SW 469 in the Classifieds.
    Really thick grip.
    Only got to shoot it about 20 rounds b/c it quit firing & will have to be checked out.
    Shoots low like all these 3rd gens have for me (this is a 2nd gen)

right side.jpg left side.jpg end of barrel w slide back.jpg left slide front.jpg right side front.jpg right side slide back.jpg

21' using 3.75" circles,
    shooting 1st mag through it: 11 or 12 rounds.
    pic of gun & 11 rds 1st time shooting.jpg

5 rounds on right target, only 3 made the 3.75" circle.
    On the left target, only got 3 rounds fired before it wouldn't function.
    two .3.75in cirlces 1 w5 rds another with only 3 rds.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Zachcz installed the sideplate that was broken on a SW 496 (9mm), 2nd gen, 80s that I bought recently.
    I put 60 rounds through it today & Zach put 50 rds through it last Saturday as well.
    It's going to make a fine bedroom gun.
    Reminds me of the thicker feel of the CZ Rami or Glock 26.

It shoots low for me like all the 3rd gen Smiths that I've had & learned to compensate.
    The last target (bottom right) that I shot free hand certainly reveals I've been shooting air guns & .22LR for over a year nearly exclusively.

21' on a rest on targets #1 - #5.
    The red part of target (X-8) = 5.75" cirlces.
    Used reloads, 125 grain Spire Point that are done at shop in IN.
    Range 4.04.2022 x6 targets x60 rds.jpg right side.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shot 5 CC guns today:
    - SW MP Plus PC
    - CZ Rami
    - Kahr CM9
    - Kimber 6s
    - SW 469 target on another post.

21' all free hand at 5.75" targets.
    You can certainly see that I wasn't using a rest, haha! :dunno:
    I still had my usual flyer on my first 3 guns before going completely wild with the Kimber revolver.
    The Kimber 6s .357 took a bit to get myself under control. :facepalm:
    Kimber's 1st round didn't even hit the paper it was so low, which is my tendency anyway. :wallbash:
    I finally I got the last 3 rounds in the middle of the circle. :thumbsup:
    Top right was supposed to be labelled Kahr CM9 NOT Kimber. :ugh:
    4 guns of 5 used this day.jpg Reload mostly used this day.jpg

Kahr (not Kimber) CM9 in upper right label.
    Range target x4 guns this day.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The top two targets aside from the lone fliers are pretty nice free handed targets. I need to get one of my open sight 9mms out next time and see if I can hit anything. Maybe my G48 or P365.

Lately I've been shooting a recently acquired Sig P226 with a Romeo equipped optics slide. Probably the most accurate 9mm I have owned. Also have a P365X with Zero red dot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The top two targets aside from the lone fliers are pretty nice free handed targets. I need to get one of my open sight 9mms out next time and see if I can hit anything. Maybe my G48 or P365.

Lately I've been shooting a recently acquired Sig P226 with a Romeo equipped optics slide. Probably the most accurate 9mm I have owned. Also have a P365X with Zero red dot.
    Having the right combination of gun, sights & holster is priceless. :thumbsup:
    I haven't found the ultimate one-size-fits all gun or tuckable IWB holster. :coffee:
    I am happy with my choices I have available for the different circumstances requiring different sized guns, but, holsters, not quite there yet.
    I have one "perfect" small revolver holster, but they don't make that style anymore, so I can't get it for other guns I have. :facepalm:
    I don't like wearing my shirt-tail out so printing is always a battle. :dunno:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I haven't found the ultimate one-size-fits all gun or tuckable IWB holster. :coffee:
    Not sure if you've ever tried an N8 Tactical holster, but I've got several for different sized carry guns and they work great. I especially appreciate the soft suede backing...I always forget I'm wearing it...it's that comfortable and tuckable. I like the Professional G2 series since it helps cover the ENTIRE grip of the pistol...so many others don't cover the grip and I hate that digging into my side. Here's a link to The Professional G2 IWB (Inside The Waistband) Holster

Nice shooting BTW...jealous that I'm still working while you're out shooting. Glad you're having fun and mastering such a nice variety of guns...to paraphrase Clint Smith: "...be a student of weapons craft."

Top Bottom