• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This past winter I have been optimizing my firearms. Mostly to make sure they are shootable, exceed my abilities in performance and fill a particular shooting discipline.

I have not looked at my Range Officer and a couple weeks ago I let a friend shoot it and thought that I should take another look at it. I have been focusing on striker fired for the past couple years but I really like that sweet trigger on the 1911!

The pistol runs great! I don't have the issues that people talk about with 1911's. I can run it for two days in a class chewing through 500 rounds without a hiccup. And for me that is a lot of shooting at one time .

But it's hard to not want to do a little something to it. :)

I eliminated the ILS system when I bought and AllenM did some mild trigger/action work on it. I'm wondering though: should I play around with the recoil spring? I was thinking maybe going to a reduced weight spring since my reloads are relatively mild, under 1000fps. I'll take it to the range later this week and see where the casings land since it appears this can be a help in determining spring weight.

I have a reduced weight spring to install in my M&P to try and reduce the "dip" when shooting. I can't remember if the RO has a "dip" or not but I was thinking the same thing; reduce the weight to get back on target quicker.

What do you all think? Thanks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Round count.
    If it runs like you say and you have not eclipsed say 5K rounds down range leave it alone.
    If so the look at re-springing the gun.
    I was figuring you would chime in. Thanks. It doesn't have that many rounds through it. I shot it a lot early on, but not so much lately.

I'd venture it's still under 3K rounds.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Keep it clean/lubed and enjoy it.
    You know, I have this close up vision issue that has moved me to red dots on most everything else but as I practice even my iron sighted pistols are working better for me. I just live with the blurry front sight.

I won't put a red dot on a 1911. I know 9mm 1911's are sacrilege, but a red dot will put it over the top. So I may swap out my skinny front FO for Ameriglo Hackathorn if they make one for the Springer.

Did I just drift my own thread? Shame on me. :)

Back to thread subject, lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are
    You know, I have this close up vision issue that has moved me to red dots on most everything else but as I practice even my iron sighted pistols are working better for me. I just live with the blurry front sight.

I won't put a red dot on a 1911. I know 9mm 1911's are sacrilege, but a red dot will put it over the top. So I may swap out my skinny front FO for Ameriglo Hackathorn if they make one for the Springer.

Did I just drift my own thread? Shame on me. :)

Back to thread subject, lol.
    getting the point shoot thing as you practice. I catch a lot of crap for this but it is a real thing. Muscle memory, sight acquisition and on point just like throwing a baseball.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    I would totally rock a 9mm 1911, I'm in the market for one, but can't find stock. I want a SS Springfield Range Officer. I've been wanting to try some XS DXT2 Big Dots in yellow. I don't have vision issues, but I debate a red dot. I think a lot of the red-dot hype is tacti-cool operator marketing. If vision necessitates a red-dot, cool, but for most "regular" people I think they are sold on the idea of one-shot 45, like, "If my gun has a red-dot and yours doesn't I'll automatically win!"

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9mm 1911? 19 lb Hammer Spring and one of the Wilson Flat Wire Kits is what you are looking for. In a 5” gun that is a 13lb spring if I remember correctly. If you stay with a traditional spring I would look at a 11lb recoil/19lb main setup.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    You could always handload the 95 gr 380 bullet to a PF of 90 or so and put in a 7# recoil spring and clip until rounds fall within 3ft.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think I have a 9# recoil and 17# mainspring in mine. That’s with a 130 power factor load. My .40 major power factor 2011s run a 11# recoil and 19# main for comparison

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will have to look. But I have a bunch of recoil springs in my parts bin. If the OP is ever over near Seymour or shoots a match at SCGC I will just give/loan a bunch of different weight springs. Basically just keep trying springs until you get the ejection or feel that you want.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will have to look. But I have a bunch of recoil springs in my parts bin. If the OP is ever over near Seymour or shoots a match at SCGC I will just give/loan a bunch of different weight springs. Basically just keep trying springs until you get the ejection or feel that you want.
    Would you extend that offer to me? I'd like to try an 11lb recoil spring.

Top Bottom