• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Not sure this is INGO worthy but we will give it a whirl...

We were out and about today and chatted with a 'well seasoned' lady at one of the shops. The conversation wound around to topics that were very 'regional' and made me chuckle. For those who have traveled or remember favorite sayings from 'well seasoned' friends and family...what are some of those that aren't really used anymore or aren't heard around here?

From Today: I was fussing about getting home because of the sky was getting dark. The hubs pulled up the radar and there was a tiny red blob at least an hour away. My reply was "that's all hat, no cattle" and he burst out laughing. Please tell me someone else has heard that before.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure this is INGO worthy but we will give it a whirl...

We were out and about today and chatted with a 'well seasoned' lady at one of the shops. The conversation wound around to topics that were very 'regional' and made me chuckle. For those who have traveled or remember favorite sayings from 'well seasoned' friends and family...what are some of those that aren't really used anymore or aren't heard around here?

From Today: I was fussing about getting home because of the sky was getting dark. The hubs pulled up the radar and there was a tiny red blob at least an hour away. My reply was "that's all hat, no cattle" and he burst out laughing. Please tell me someone else has heard that before.
    People used to say that about GWB a lot I remember! :):

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    My step-son had to explain what "Yee Yee" meant
    Our second oldest had to explain the meaning of "Oof" - which was added to the dictionary this year

But when their Grandmother kept saying "y'all" while carrying on a conversation with them, they acted like they had no idea what that meant... :facepalm:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Lol! We have a young guy at work that just moved here from California, I love speaking Kentucky hillbilly to him! At first he was horrified, but he’s grown used to it now. I’ve had to go way back in time to come up with new sayings to try and throw him off.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Things my Dad and his friends used to say...
    "His head's in his hip pocket and his mind's in Arkansas."
    "It's spring and the idiots are in bloom."
    "You ain't just a whoofin'"
    "He's been educated beyond his intelligence."
    "If his brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose."

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My brother is a mechanic and they would always slaughter old sayings like "as still as a 'milk' pond".

He has made it a new habit to intentionally change them around.

My favorite is, "the cops are out in the intersection 'raping haddock' with the jay walkers!"

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My dad had a favorite phrase: "If dog rabbit, stop bite ****" that was often just shortened to "if dog rabbit" in polite company.
    Anyone else ever heard that one??

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "That kid could tear up a steel ball with a rubber mallet." Pretty self explanatory...

"Got it by the balls in a downhill drag" basically meaning we about have it whipped, or job's about done.

When I first moved from the south to Indiana, the girl I sat next to at work had just moved from Seattle. I said something to the effect of I was "fixin" to get something to eat, and did she want to go... She just stared at me trying to figure out what I had just said.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    When my dad saw my first Leupold scope, when I'd always used cheaper scopes, he be like, "Son, you're runnin in The Tall Cotton, you sure you can afford that?"

Of course, last time he bought 22 ammo, it was half cent per round. :)

I supplied his 22 mag ammo for decades, lest he quit shooting all together, due to cost. He always offered to pay for it " whatever it cost", but I knew better than to tell him.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When my dad saw my first Leupold scope, when I'd always used cheaper scopes, he be like, "Son, you're runnin in The Tall Cotton, you sure you can afford that?"

Of course, last time he bought 22 ammo, it was half cent per round. :)

I supplied his 22 mag ammo for decades, lest he quit shooting all together, due to cost. He always offered to pay for it " whatever it cost", but I knew better than to tell him.

Little different, Your shi—en in tall cotton

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    “Under my thumb” goes back to falconry as the leash wrap the wrist and held by the thumb.

“wrapped around my finger” goes back to falconry also. The handlers of smaller birds just wrapped the leash around the finger.

both terms used in music by The Rolling Stones and the police.

“10 pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack” and “spandex is a privilege not a right” kinda goes without explanation. Those were construction worker terms. Along with “construction site playmate”

“all that and a bag or chips” used as better than that. “And all that jazz”used as includes the stuff that goes with it.
    “Dog will hunt” used as I am on it also used as trying to pick up a female. Also used in Primus song Jerry was a face at driver.
    “Dressed up like a rutting buck.” Got on his pickup chicks clothes. Used by a friend some Frankfort KY often.
    Of late “branch covidians” describing those whose fear or overwhelming prevention of beer virus. And “mask-a-bator” 0r “mask-a ablation” for someone wearing a mask alone in a car.

word origins and phrases are something I do think about often.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    -Dad

(ie: being first and being fast is not always best)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom