• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Soooo, I am sure most people remember this photo from the cover of the first Rainbow Six video game:

download.jpeg

Can anyone figure out what gloves or goggles the guy is wearing, or something equivalent?

Are those just skiing goggles or something? Anyone making these types of gloves that cover the wrist anymore?

Thanks.

Vanguard.45

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Those look like black nomex flight gloves to me.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think you guys are right on both counts. I know the guy in the photo was just a VP of Sales at HK at the time. Not sure if the gear he was sporting would have been in actual use back in the early 90's by SWAT or other types of "operators?" What do you all think?

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    When I look at that photo I think SAS (or maybe mall ninja). Not sure if that was what he was going for or not. Kit has come a long way in the past 30 years. I mean Delta was wearing black skateboard helmets with zero ballistic value back then. Seals were wearing boonie hats.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Does that imply they would not have used such gear back then? If not those types of gloves or eyepro, what were they using back then? Anyone recall the gear from back then?
    No! Didn’t mean to make an implication. It means what Wolfhound suggested, mall ninja or some dude wannabe larping around the woods.

Guess I’m a fudd

”We” didn’t have any gloves, or goggles, or sidearm, if some did they stole it from an officer or it was sent from home. Our headgear was a steel pot with a Kevlar liner, or a boonie hat or a ball cap.

Back then? Back when? There’s a lot of back. Sorry working on my second cup, up late watching fb game.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    No! Didn’t mean to make an implication. It means what Wolfhound suggested, mall ninja or some dude wannabe larping around the woods.

Guess I’m a fudd

”We” didn’t have any gloves, or goggles, or sidearm, if some did they stole it from an officer or it was sent from home. Our headgear was a steel pot with a Kevlar liner, or a boonie hat or a ball cap.

Back then? Back when? There’s a lot of back. Sorry working on my second cup, up late watching fb game.
    Wait.... Kevlar liner....
    You run point, or were you a Senators son?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    This was even still the hotness when I got on SWAT in 2003. I still have my Oakley goggles. They were used then for dust and debris rather than ballistic protection that we saw being implemented in OEF/OEF/GWOT.

We still used those stupid black vests with the snaps in 2004, but didn't use goggles. I think those vests are still at the PD in storage.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    He asked about when the first Rainbow Six game came out, as that picture was from the cover.

In case you are not familiar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Rainbow_Six
    Thanks, yep totally unaware.

Video games, :lmfao:

No disrespect intended, but I’ve never played a video game. Glad someone is making money, just not my cup of tea.

And the back then reference, it came out in 99, that was yesterday. ;)

Top Bottom