• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I used Google to search for basic information comparing weight between an 1899 Krag carbine and an M4. Out of curiosity I clicked on one entry in the list of questions I usually don't care about and found this which I considered truly remarkable for a non-gun source:

Screenshot_20210116-161728.png

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Somehow, I'm not sure how, I got on a list and get a quora gun quedtion feed every day.
    Some very interesting questions and even more interesting, and helpful answers.
    Of course, some of the questions are obviously, asked by people who have absolutely no knowledge of firearms other than what they might have heard from the media, but, they got great, honest, informative, truthful, answers.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Eh. I own several military weapons that saw combat. People have a constitutionally protected natural right to keep and bear arms, military or not. It's an irrelevant distinction. The military also poops in the toilet, does that mean civilians can't have toilets?

I don't think we as a community should even be entertaining the military/civilian distinction. The military using something has no bearing on whether I get to own it.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Eh. I own several military weapons that saw combat. People have a constitutionally protected natural right to keep and bear arms, military or not. It's an irrelevant distinction. The military also poops in the toilet, does that mean civilians can't have toilets?

I don't think we as a community should even be entertaining the military/civilian distinction. The military using something has no bearing on whether I get to own it.
    The opening poster (and no one else in this thread) wrote the answer posted in the first post. I believe that the OP was merely stating surprise that what appears to be an accurate answer to a question about the difference between two guns, was found in an unlikely place. Maybe you thought the answer was to the question about the legality of owning an M4, which is the question above the one the answered?

No one is this thread has stated that they are, "entertaining the military/civilian distinction", so I am not sure who, in this thread, your post is directed to. If you want to add to or dispute the answer on Quora maybe you should go there and address it where it happened?

@IndyDave1776, Quora questions can be answered by anyone with a Quora account, so the person answering might be a gun owner or 2A advocate. I don't know if you can search for the uses bio or other answers by that person, I don't use Quora.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No one is this thread has stated that they are, "entertaining the military/civilian distinction", so I am not sure who, in this thread, your post is directed to. If you want to add to or dispute the answer on Quora maybe you should go there and address it where it happened?
    The point is that the answer, while accurate, yields ground by focusing on the military/non-military distinction and leaving tacitly unchallenged the framing that "military things" are not for you and me.

In reality the M16/M4 is merely the military's model designation for the AR15, which existed first and was designed by a civilian company.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Not sure exactly where this came from but if it is from the answer in the thread OK.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't read too much into this. I just saw a response from a non-2A-centric source that surprised me by not being flaming leftist horse crap.

Top Bottom