"Quiet Quitting" and "Quiet Firing". Apparently new business buzzwords.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like working as a contract employee, it allows me to focus on what is specific to my tasks without extra problems. People around me just see me as helpful and not a threat to their positions in corporate hierarchy. When my contract expires it gets renegotiated, extended, or if either side wants, terminated.

It's a good way to work when you pass 65 and don't have health insurance to deal with.:)

Daburkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    Fort Wayne IN
    YES! LOL, I had a team member 10+ years ago that set the bar at the lowest minimum standard. I actually had a closed door meeting w/ them about it b/c we could all see the writing on the wall and the company had contracted with their own set of "Bob's" and had started reviewing their corporate structure. I tried to explain that the lowest hanging apple tends to get picked first. I was starting to see the signs of layoffs/RIF's coming and I wanted folks to be ready; tight performance and cross trained into similar roles so that the companies perception was that we were valuable and diverse in our skillset. I was determined to do everything I could to position my entire team to have internal and external options if the 'powers that be' had decided we had too many team members and someone had to go.

A few years later I left for a similar opportunity closer to home and better pay. The RIF did eventually happen at the old employer and I had that staff member's resume land on my desk from a recruiter. I took a pass b/c I didn't want my team to carry someone else' weight if we could avoid it. In my world we have a bucket of work that needs done, everyone gets a portion of that work. The company makes a determination of how many bodies it takes to do that work and we are allocated that many FTE's. You will naturally have over performers and under performers but ultimately you have that bucket of work and the number of bodies to do it. If someone intentionally drags a$$ I don't have a tolerance for that. They will suck the life out of a solid team and your good people will leave (and should leave) if that is tolerated.

Geez, all these years later I am still shaking my head at that one. I've never had anyone look me in the eye and tell me that they aren't worried b/c they are meeting the minimum and they weren't going to do any more than that b/c it was where the bar was set....and then the bar got moved...
    Yup. Those kind of people drag everyone down. They are also negative and spread that mentality around the workplace. Employers need to stop catering to those types and empower those that are giving their all for the team.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A few years later I left for a similar opportunity closer to home and better pay. The RIF did eventually happen at the old employer and I had that staff member's resume land on my desk from a recruiter. I took a pass b/c I didn't want my team to carry someone else' weight if we could avoid it.

We had a similar thing occur at a past company I worked for. I was the Desktop supervisor and worked closely with the Networking supervisor. We shared a contractor who was an absolute troll. Great at building servers and desktops in the back room, but horrid with users, or anyone else really. When his contract expired we took a pass, obviously. Months later we were hiring for the network team and his resume ended up on the pile. We laughed ourselves silly reading the experience he had on his resume, because he had stated he was essential on multiple projects, pretty much single-handedly rolled out our AD environment, etc. All stuff that he had no part in. We contacted the contracting company he was with to let them know that the experience listed was bogus and obviously, took a pass... :):

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    HOLY CARP! I think my boss might be an expert on the concept of quiet firing, but a complete idiot on the application of it.

I just had my evaluation for this period. Not my annual rating, just the periodic evaluation.

Apparently the team leads are crying to him about all the work they have to do, so he's going to shift some of the burden to me. He said I'm the smartest and most capable person in the section to handle this. When I asked about additional compensation, I was told that there would be none, and I should work toward the position I want to be in. MFer, I don't want to be in their position, I just want to be adequately compensated for my expertise in my position, which stretches far and beyond the team leads' abilities.

I then told him that I already have my retirement paperwork completed, all I need to do is put a date on it. I could be retiring anywhere from tomorrow to 5 years from now.

It seems like he's wanting it to be 5 years from now, but treating me like he wants it to be tomorrow.

Top Bottom