"Quiet Quitting" and "Quiet Firing". Apparently new business buzzwords.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't researched these terms beyond the couple of Foxnews articles I've read in the past couple weeks or so, so please correct me on any inaccuracies.

"Quiet Quitting" I think refers to employees who are slowing their production to the very minimum to avoid being fired without actually quitting. They are doing this because management is reducing staffing while increasing workloads without any additional compensation, benefits, or recognition.

"Quiet Firing" as I understand it is managers deliberately increasing workloads, eliminating benefits or opportunities for advancement in order to drive away specific employees. The impetus for this may be profit or personal reasons.

Do any of you see this happening? Is this really a thing?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Doing the very minimum to avoid being fired. Yeah I've seen that from some people for 20+ years. We have a lot more names for it than quiet quitter.

But I fully understand people not trying to constantly pick up the slack for a company choosing to run short staffed.

Last edited:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Doing the very minimum to avoid being fire. Yeah I've seen that from some people for 20+ years. We have a lot more names for it than quiet quitter.

But I fully understand people not trying to constantly pick up the slack for a company choosing to run short staffed.
    We had a term in the Army called ROAD back in the day. Retired On Active Duty.

It often happened when people were so close to leaving service that they just slowed or stopped all effort. They would usually be slid into low effort staff jobs.

Not me. I worked my A off until clearing time all 3 times I ended service.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    We called these people Slackers and A******* respectively. But you know how the woke hate labels.
    Newspeak: making the unpalatable palatable again.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    When I retired I did a not so quiet **** you to that worthless place. Worked like I always did right up to the last minute and then sent the email I had wanted to for a long time:rockwoot:

That must have felt good. :lmfao:

When I leave, I'm going to leave without even telling them what they did wrong, and with all the good stuff in my head, because they taught me to not volunteer it or put it on paper or in electrons.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    That must have felt good. :lmfao:

When I leave, I'm going to leave without even telling them what they did wrong, and with all the good stuff in my head, because they taught me to not volunteer it or put it on paper or in electrons.
    Oh, and I have a lot of good stuff in my head. Stuff that they aren't even thinking about that's going to bite them you-know-where.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We had a term in the Army called ROAD back in the day. Retired On Active Duty.

It often happened when people were so close to leaving service that they just slowed or stopped all effort. They would usually be slid into low effort staff jobs.

Not me. I worked my A off until clearing time all 3 times I ended service.

When I was in the Army, we just called them short-timers... :dunno:

My buddy did coin a similar term for a guy we worked with at one time. I can't remember the guys name, but it was not Roger. My buddy kept referring to him as Rog. Finally I looked at him and said, you know his name isn't Roger, why do you refer to him as Rog when you talk about him? He said, not Rog, ROJ, retired on job. The guy never did anything but walk around with a coffee mug in his hand talking to people and then spouting buzzword nonsense in meetings. Never saw him actually do any work. He actually got let go. Something that wasn't as hard to do back in the late 90's.

Extremely funny and so true. I'm a firm believer that there are certain professional positions where people work at different speeds. Instead of making people sit around and "work" when they're done with their work, employers should allow people to work the hours they need to work, instead of set hours. When I worked at Anthem back in the day, there was an unspoken rule that everyone work ~60 hours. This didn't mean you had to actually work that much time, you just had to be visible. Thank God I no longer work there with such asinine "rules". I work for a manager now who "get it" and she doesn't care how many hours I put in, as long as the work is done and I attend any mandatory meetings. Life is so much better this way ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Are you a slacker if you show up everyday on time and do exactly the job you were hired to do and then leave on time?

For a good manager/organization, no. For a lot of managers and organizations, they would say yes.

Here's another question in a similar vein, if you do your current job to the best of your ability and do it well, always taking on new challenges when asked and doing very well, always getting the highest rating on your annual review, are you ripe for advancement? When I worked for Anthem, I was told you have to be doing the job of the position you are hoping to be promoted to, in order to be promoted to that position... :n00b:

Top Bottom