• ...and so much more!
  • AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I just have a few questions:

1) Can you hunt them after legal shooting hours?

2) Can you shoot them ANY time of year?

3) What calibers can you shoot them with?

4) If you CAN hunt them After Dark, what are some good Lights to use and how would you use the light while holding the gun?

5) What is the Best Way's to bring them in???

6) Any other things I need to know about Coyote Hunting???

I hope my questions get answered!:D

Thank you ALL for your time!!

Aaron

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Read the regs in the DNR hunting guide.

When you are standing there in the dark by the road with a flashlight in your face the guy with the badge on the other side of that light doesn't much give a flying crap what you read on some internet messege board.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Read the regs in the DNR hunting guide.

When you are standing there in the dark by the road with a flashlight in your face the guy with the badge on the other side of that light doesn't much give a flying crap what you read on some internet messege board.

What he said. Most of your answers are in those regs.

As far as what to call them in with, I have used a mouth call (rabbit distress) with success. But I really like the remote electronic calls. Haven't done tons of coyote hunting, but it sure is fun!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just have a few questions:

1) Can you hunt them after legal shooting hours?On Private Property, Yes. Anytime day or night

2) Can you shoot them ANY time of year?On Private Property, Yes

3) What calibers can you shoot them with? Any caliber, rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow, crossbow. Any legal firearm or weapon.

4) If you CAN hunt them After Dark, what are some good Lights to use and how would you use the light while holding the gun? I have used regular spotlights, have a buddy hold the light.

5) What is the Best Way's to bring them in??? I have used bait, anything bleeding, or rotting flesh. Roadkill is the way to go. Shoot a coyote let it lay, other will try and feed off of it

6) Any other things I need to know about Coyote Hunting??? Good luck, Have fun, Be safe.

I hope my questions get answered!:D

Thank you ALL for your time!!

Aaron

The answers are from my understanding, I may be wrong, so don't hold me to it. Check the game book, also you can call a CO and he/she can clear up any misunderstandings.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The answers are from my understanding, I may be wrong, so don't hold me to it. Check the game book, also you can call a CO and he/she can clear up any misunderstandings.

1) Can you hunt them after legal shooting hours?On Private Property, Yes. Anytime day or night ... Also, you may hunt on SOME public properties (i.e. Morgan Monroe) day/night.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    looking at the DNR regs, Coyote runs from Oct 15 until Mar 15.

Legal shooting hours are from noon the first day to noon the last, meaning day/night hunting.

I'll admit, they got me interested as well, was reading the DNR guide a few minutes ago.

For public property, it depends on each place. If you go to the DNR Where to Hunt map, you can select a property and it will tell you what's allowed.

For example, I see Atterbury lists Raccoon and Fox and MMSF listed Racoon, but neither list Coyote.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i love coyote hunting. i think that is probably because i rarly have any luck. coyotes are smart animals, not that deer arn't but they dont compare to a coyote imo.

plus it fills the void between deer and turkey season

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The Hoosier National Forest, Lake Monroe, Morgan-Monroe State Forest and Yellowwood State Forest all allow day/night hunting as long as they are in season.

Was wondering about that. I noticed on the DNR website if you go to the individual property pages, they list what you can hunt. I saw everything but yotes.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Under the section of nuisance animals it lists coyotes. This is straight from the DNR website:

"Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own."

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm glad someone finally wrote "with written permission".!!! If you call some of the public properties to hunt, which is listed in the back of the reg book, they will tell you what is permitted to hunt on the property. For example last year I wanted to hunt Providence Pond and Wilbur Write , sorry about spelling, and they said it was legal but it was not listed in the reg book. Always call and ask first and try to get the name of the person who gave it to you so you can have a little to back you up on. The DNR officers of that area will know who you are talking about so it looks like you at least tried to do your homework first!!!

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    coyote hunting

If you can it is best to go with someone who has hunted them before for the first time o two. They are hard to hunt, that being said some times you get lucky and one comes right in, Be ready. Your best call for starting out is a rabbit squealer. There are some inexpensive electric calling out there that are not that loud but do work.
    Pay very close attention to the wind and your scent as well as your camo and movement (they will see you well before you see them.)

As far as firearms, anything goes from shotgun to rifle. I know of a few even being taken with a .22LR. But a longer range higher powered rifle is recommended, such as a 22-250, .222, .223, or a .243 (55 grain bullet)
    In shotgun a 10 gauge is golden, 12 gauge is silver but a 20 gauge up close will get the job done with 00 or 0 buck , #1 buck or BB. I am sure by searching the web you can get a variety of opinions.

If you have not purchased a gun you might look at the Savage 24 (.223/12 gauge), they are an over/under rifle/shotgun combo. About the cost of a rifle alone. With it you are ready for your long shots as well as up close if one sneaks in on you. Check out INDIANA PREDATOR CENTRAL, online home of hoosier fox & coyote hunters - Message Board - Yuku forms for more info.

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

Latigo

Last edited:

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I appreciate ALL the feedback. Some of the things I already knew. I have a lot of different caliber long guns, so I have that covered. I also have a lot of "Written Permission" of a Few *Private Properties* to hunt and trap everything. I also have access to Spoiled Meats from a Market. I've shot one coyote last year while deer hunting on Private Property. Well, again, I appreciate All the Feedback!!

Good Luck To All!!!

Thanks,

Aaron

Top Bottom