Question- why don't businesses post no trespassing signs, patrons only and use the trespass laws to stop protesters from accosting their patrons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    So now let’s try the situation this way.....

Why do you as a customer patronize any business that does not care about your safety?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    How much security do you seriously expect from a restuarant against a roving mob? Phalanx of guards with clubs and shields? Blast walls wrapped in concertina wire and machine gun nests with interlocking lines of fire? They're just in the business of serving food.
    Armed staff--like at the "Shooters grill" in Rifle CO--would be great but as long as they don't have a stupid GFZ policy, interfering with me defending myself, they've met my (low) expectations

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Its not that easy. You arent trespassing until you have been officially notified by a cop called to take the trespass report. Here is how it works.

Business doesnt want you there anymore, calls cops.
    Cop arrives, the manager explains they want you trespassed and you are ID'd and notified you are to leave immediately and never return, else be arrested.
    If you leave and never come back, you are GTG.
    If you refuse the officer's command to leave, or come back later, THEN they can have you arrested. But not before.

Nobody's going to jail just for showing up. Sign or not.

And thats a good thing. You really want the Soup Nazi having the ability to point you out to a cop and say "I dont want him in my store! Arrest him for trespassing, NOW!" Meanwhile you are standing there dumbfounded, wondering why you are going to jail for insisting on trying to use a coupon that he says isnt valid but you say it is?
    Pretty much. However, unless there is an active trespass agreement between the business and the LE Agency, the responding officer cannot trespass the person on behalf of the owner. This means that the business representative must trespass the person in the presence of the LEO for it to be legally binding. THEN the officer can arrest the person for trespass if they refuse. Now, because 90% of those who are asked to leave do so without incident, officers frequently just walk up and ask them to leave. That is usually all that is needed but is not a legal trespass.

I am still confused on the rules pertaining to personal property.

I have to pre-inform someone not to come onto my property by placing signs or painting purple. Then if someone gets caught there they still get told to leave by LEO? Why even have signs?

I agree with stores not being allowed to have you tossed in the clink for existing. One Karen manager and the store could be empty.
    Private property (dwellings) is a bit different that businesses. Signage that is plainly visible to those coming onto your property should se enough. I think PC would be established if the signage was plainly obvious and I could prove they saw it or should have seen it, thus arresting them without the "asked to leave in the presence of the LEO" aspect of it.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    How much security do you seriously expect from a restuarant against a roving mob? Phalanx of guards with clubs and shields? Blast walls wrapped in concertina wire and machine gun nests with interlocking lines of fire? They're just in the business of serving food.
    Armed staff--like at the "Shooters grill" in Rifle CO--would be great but as long as they don't have a stupid GFZ policy, interfering with me defending myself, they've met my (low) expectations
    No, I expect adults to realize that they are on their own and take the necessary precautions to protect themselves or stay out of the potential situation in the first place. Not continue to fund businesses that don’t care.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    No, I expect adults to realize that they are on their own and take the necessary precautions to protect themselves or stay out of the potential situation in the first place. Not continue to fund businesses that don’t care.
    We're on the same page as far as protecting ourselves goes. Maybe we're talking past each other regarding businesses goes?
    "Not continue to fund businesses that don't care"?--I said :"...as long as they don't have a stupid GFZ policy...they've met my (low) expectations."
    I don't have any expectation of a restuarant defending me from a mob or even an armed robber who comes in

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    We're on the same page as far as protecting ourselves goes. Maybe we're talking past each other regarding businesses goes?
    "Not continue to fund businesses that don't care"?--I said :"...as long as they don't have a stupid GFZ policy...they've met my (low) expectations."
    I don't have any expectation of a restuarant defending me from a mob or even an armed robber who comes in
    I don’t either. It is and remains my responsibility.

Top Bottom