Question- why don't businesses post no trespassing signs, patrons only and use the trespass laws to stop protesters from accosting their patrons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Many businesses are quick to post a "No Guns" sign, why don't they protect their patrons with a no trespass sign? And have violators arrested?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its not that easy. You arent trespassing until you have been officially notified by a cop called to take the trespass report. Here is how it works.

Business doesnt want you there anymore, calls cops.
    Cop arrives, the manager explains they want you trespassed and you are ID'd and notified you are to leave immediately and never return, else be arrested.
    If you leave and never come back, you are GTG.
    If you refuse the officer's command to leave, or come back later, THEN they can have you arrested. But not before.

Nobody's going to jail just for showing up. Sign or not.

And thats a good thing. You really want the Soup Nazi having the ability to point you out to a cop and say "I dont want him in my store! Arrest him for trespassing, NOW!" Meanwhile you are standing there dumbfounded, wondering why you are going to jail for insisting on trying to use a coupon that he says isnt valid but you say it is?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If you're being threatened, take appropriate action. If the actions of other people merely bother you, quit being a snowflake and/or take your business elsewhere.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Its not that easy. You arent trespassing until you have been officially notified by a cop called to take the trespass report. Here is how it works.

Cop arrives, the manager explains they want you trespassed and you are ID'd and notified you are to leave immediately and never return, else be arrested.
    If you refuse the officer's command to leave, or come back later, THEN they can have you arrested. But not before.

I'm confused. I think there are some missing steps.

I thought people of color were incapable of obtaining an ID so asking for ID is racist.
    (of course we see how difficult getting an ID is by viewing the INGO Real ID thread).

If the officer is white and the trespasser is a person of color who refuses the officer's command I thought the cop was trained to shoot the person immediately.

Well of course nobody's going to jail. Prosecuting Attorneys don't care about business owners or people who follow the law so the Catch and Release program doesn't put criminals in jail.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm confused. I think there are some missing steps.

I thought people of color were incapable of obtaining an ID so asking for ID is racist.
    (of course we see how difficult getting an ID is by viewing the INGO Real ID thread).

If the officer is white and the trespasser is a person of color who refuses the officer's command I thought the cop was trained to shoot the person immediately.

Well of course nobody's going to jail. Prosecuting Attorneys don't care about business owners or people who follow the law so the Catch and Release program doesn't put criminals in jail.
    Yep. Shoot first, ask questions later.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

And thats a good thing. You really want the Soup Nazi having the ability to point you out to a cop and say "I dont want him in my store! Arrest him for trespassing, NOW!" Meanwhile you are standing there dumbfounded, wondering why you are going to jail for insisting on trying to use a coupon that he says isnt valid but you say it is?
    I am still confused on the rules pertaining to personal property.

I have to pre-inform someone not to come onto my property by placing signs or painting purple. Then if someone gets caught there they still get told to leave by LEO? Why even have signs?

I agree with stores not being allowed to have you tossed in the clink for existing. One Karen manager and the store could be empty.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I have to pre-inform someone not to come onto my property by placing signs or painting purple. Then if someone gets caught there they still get told to leave by LEO? Why even have signs?

I agree with stores not being allowed to have you tossed in the clink for existing. One Karen manager and the store could be empty.
    I guess the signs/purple paint are expected to inform folks not to come onto your property and therefore cops dont need to be involved. :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I assume we would not be allowed to hit them with a couple (hundred) paintball rounds loaded with purple paint? You know, just to remind them that they're trespassing and that we've got the range, in case it needs to be followed up with something a bit more damaging

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

Marked private property is a different issue from a place of business, like a restaurant or store or Cracker Barrel. If you have a trail cam and see someone trespassing, I believe you could have that person charged with trespassing. There are other issues like if, say, the "Farm" restaurant in B-town has a no firearms policy - it did when I went there once, and the sign was posted in the bathroom, after I had already ordered... The lamb wasn't up to par and I won't return on the firearms principle. AFAIK, technically, that sign has no legal ramifications in IN, but they can ask you to leave for any reason, then it becomes a trespassing issue.

Edit: Towards the OP there's an additional issue of deniability. There have been times when I've entered a restaurant, saw the menu, apologized and left because I didn't want to eat their food. The sidewalk protests are a different thing, I guess, but how do you stop people from protesting on the street? As far as I know, that's their right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Marked private property is a different issue from a place of business, like a restaurant or store or Cracker Barrel. If you have a trail cam and see someone trespassing, I believe you could have that person charged with trespassing. There are other issues like if, say, the "Farm" restaurant in B-town has a no firearms policy - it did when I went there once, and the sign was posted in the bathroom, after I had already ordered... The lamb wasn't up to par and I won't return on the firearms principle. AFAIK, technically, that sign has no legal ramifications in IN, but they can ask you to leave for any reason, then it becomes a trespassing issue.

Edit: Towards the OP there's an additional issue of deniability. There have been times when I've entered a restaurant, saw the menu, apologized and left because I didn't want to eat their food. The sidewalk protests are a different thing, I guess, but how do you stop people from protesting on the street? As far as I know, that's their right.
    This. That is where this gets murky. They had the right to be on the sidewalk. Its where they started harassing the outdoor diners that it gets troublesome. (or if they left the sidewalk and entered the dining area, its a no-go.) But if the restaurant just setup the tables on the sidewalk proper (no actual patio) I dont think that would be trespassing.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I was younger, a man in East Tennessee named Cas Walker owned quite a few grocery stores. There started to be problems with gangs of thugs in some of the run down areas. He went on radio and TV saying he had hired security that would "woop them good" and swear the thugs started it. It worked, the next month or so, Cas Walkers security rounded up a good number of criminals, punched them up pretty good, drove them far from town and pushed them down embankments. Not a single lawman or lawyer had any problem with that. No more stolen cars, no more purse snatchings, no more disruption and no more stickups or shoplifting. People shopped in peace and Cas kept raking in the money. Things were different in the 60's and 70's.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    It depends on who the "violators" are in order for the signage to have any teeth and also the determination whether these violators fit the description of people that the law actually applies too these days.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If cafes are having problems with blm/antifa goons harassing their customers, hiring martial artists as waiters/waitresses and issuing nunchaku might solve the problem?
    Until you get their attention, they won't bother reading signs anyway

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    When I was younger, a man in East Tennessee named Cas Walker owned quite a few grocery stores. There started to be problems with gangs of thugs in some of the run down areas. He went on radio and TV saying he had hired security that would "woop them good" and swear the thugs started it. It worked, the next month or so, Cas Walkers security rounded up a good number of criminals, punched them up pretty good, drove them far from town and pushed them down embankments. Not a single lawman or lawyer had any problem with that. No more stolen cars, no more purse snatchings, no more disruption and no more stickups or shoplifting. People shopped in peace and Cas kept raking in the money. Things were different in the 60's and 70's.
    Yeah, the good old days when vigilante justice prevailed and "due process" meant nothing. Sounds utopian to me... :ugh:

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom