• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So I currently want to switch the gas block on my S&W MP-15 from the picatinny low profile to the standard A2 f marked gas block. I don't have any experience in doing such a thing, would this be a simple procedure to accomplish or is this something better left done for a gunsmith? I've seen videos showing how to change the gas blocks, but I'm not sure if with whatever this gas block that came standard on the MP-15 would be any different.

PXL_20220509_232624187.jpg

Here's a picture of the MP, if that helps any. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Basic description is remove any pins, knock the old one off and tap the new one on. That said, there are lots of variables to screw it up. It is an interference pressed fit, it has to be tight, and the vent hole has to be in correct alignment or you will not get correct pressure. Knowing the barrel diameter accurately and matching the right diameter sight is everything. If you are hesitant and don't have someone to help you, another route might be to buy a GI style sight that clamps to your front block.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Tapered pins don't necessarily need to be used if you have a front sight that uses set screws. Small divots will need to be drilled / milled to ensure the fsb doesn't move. Calling AllenM...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Tapered pins don't necessarily need to be used if you have a front sight that uses set screws. Small divots will need to be drilled / milled to ensure the fsb doesn't move. Calling AllenM...
    Probably nothing wrong with that. But for me, if this was my only AR I wouldn't do that. I'd want the front sight on with the taper pins. That way if the rifle is dropped or there's a direct blow to the front sight I can rest assure it's still zeroed and more importantly it'll still cycle and not short stroke. But that's me though. YMMV

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    You would have to have a jig to drill the holes for the taper pins. For sure something to be left to a professional. I wouldn't attempt to covert it to a milspec gas block.

Now there are a few wildcard options out there.....
    This has the look and function of a milspec gas block but it uses a much easier clamp style instead of taper pins. But for the cost....... Might just be better off buying a barrel or upper with milspec gas block already attached like what was shared above.

This would quickly mount directly to your existing gas block. Fairly painless. This one is kinda expensive but there are others of this style that are cheaper

Another economic rigid front sight option

Top Bottom