• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jorrell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2020
    Camby
    Recently purchased the Defender. Took it to the range on Sunday. Ran 200 rounds (Winchester FMJ 230 grain) through it. At somewhere near round 160 to 170, the trigger was locking up and not completely resetting. It became extremely stiff to the point of not being able to fire a round. Was able to fix it by pulling the slide back about 1/4 inch and letting it go again. At the time, I thought it was just buildup from the ammo residue. When I returned home, I stripped the pistol and gave it a very thorough cleaning and oiling.

So, my question to you all... have you experienced the same thing with any new Colt? Do you agree that it is likely the result of residue build up from inexpensive range ammo? Is this a common issue? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Sounds like an issue with the sear, especially if the trigger is not resetting and you are getting a heavier pull weight. I am sure other more knowledgeable folks will be around to confirm or debunk by theory.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st stop running :bs: Winchester crap dirty ammo through it. Its a Colt. Put something worthy in the magazine. G****s will eat that Garbage but a decently fit up 1911 will not.

Stop it.

Clean it all the way through and run some good ammo. If it craps out on you again let a smith have a look. Or (:nailbite:) send it back to Colt.

Wait, you asked about a decent 1911 in your own thread yes. Man you need to listen...………:):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don’t have ammo issues with any of my 1911s. CM’s 1911s tend to be higher end than mine do though, so his advice is good if you have a well fit gun. Most of mine are production 1911s though. A Colt should run all day long with crap ammo as they tend to be on the loose side when compared to many other guns. Loose is not always bad for a carry gun as long as the accuracy is still decent.

Is the gun new of did you buy it used? If new, could be that there was a chip or some debris that worked it’s way into the action. I’d take another 200 rounds and see if the issue returns. If it does, then it’s most likely an issue for a gunsmith (or Colt if new) to check into.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Did you add any oil at any point? I am not sure what you are saying as to what was wrong. you say you move the slide back and then forward by just a very small amount. Was it out of battery to begin with? That small movement shouldn't be enough to reset the trigger if it wasn't already reset. First time out, I would have relubed once or twice during 200 rounds.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Did you add any oil at any point? I am not sure what you are saying as to what was wrong. you say you move the slide back and then forward by just a very small amount. Was it out of battery to begin with? That small movement shouldn't be enough to reset the trigger if it wasn't already reset. First time out, I would have relubed once or twice during 200 rounds.

Good point. I tend to run my 1911s on the wet side.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There's really not a lot in there that can interfere with the trigger. You can get interference from burrs in the trigger channel, bowed out trigger bow, rubbing from a magazine etc. But most likely it's some interference from the grip safety and/or one of the sear spring leaves. Check and make sure you aren't getting any binding from the disconnector as well. It should be fairly easy to diagnose.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don’t have ammo issues with any of my 1911s. CM’s 1911s tend to be higher end than mine do though, so his advice is good if you have a well fit gun. Most of mine are production 1911s though. A Colt should run all day long with crap ammo as they tend to be on the loose side when compared to many other guns. Loose is not always bad for a carry gun as long as the accuracy is still decent.

Is the gun new of did you buy it used? If new, could be that there was a chip or some debris that worked it’s way into the action. I’d take another 200 rounds and see if the issue returns. If it does, then it’s most likely an issue for a gunsmith (or Colt if new) to check into.

The 2 Colt defenders I have dealt with were pretty well fit up. Better than I expected.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Was it out of battery to begin with?...

Much out of battery and you can't pull the trigger. New gun, dirty ammo and allowed to run too dry could all contribute to this.

... But most likely it's some interference from the grip safety...

I have one DW 1911 with a grip safety that has to be depressed ALL the way before the trigger is free to move. I though it had a major problem when I first got it and thought the trigger locked up before I realized that if I get the high grip that I like, it is easy to not completely depress the grip safety. I meant to adjust this way back...someday I will.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Much out of battery and you can't pull the trigger. New gun, dirty ammo and allowed to run too dry could all contribute to this.

I have one DW 1911 with a grip safety that has to be depressed ALL the way before the trigger is free to move. I though it had a major problem when I first got it and thought the trigger locked up before I realized that if I get the high grip that I like, it is easy to not completely depress the grip safety. I meant to adjust this way back...someday I will.

Good point on the high grip and a new 1911 owner.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My thoughts as well...possibly some sort of debris that worked it's way into the action!
    I've had that happen with a Taurus revolver...turned out parts of the action were crumbling and coming apart!!

Top Bottom