• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In my part of the state you would have to get a permit and probably tie the structure down with something. Unless the boss really wants metal roofing I would go with shingles. Easy enough to install and relatively cheap compared to the metal.

I can loan you the roofing gun, might have enough black shingles on hand and I know I have nails. PM me, or text if you still have my number. This will help make up for the crappy mower I pawned off on you.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Add a few lags between the old building and the new building you be fine and the building will unite into the chick coop of your dreams
    Ugh. Lags are so 20th century.

Step up to structural, or 'construction', screws.

rss10212.jpg

They cost more but save a ton of time and are much stronger than a similar sized lag bolt.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    I bought my wife an 8x12 shed five years ago which I converted into a chicken coop. We're pushing 50 birds now and she wants it extended. My plan is to simply build a replica of the current one (as far as framing/design) right behind/against to it and simply nail the framing of each together where they meet. I understand this isn't likely the most secure means possible of accomplishing the goal but it's a chicken coop so I don't need it to support thousands of pounds of weight either.

LgO6TTeh.jpg

I plan to strip off all of the siding/trim from the backside here and just add on another 12'.

hoVQ8UWh.jpg

I figured I'd check with those more knowledgeable in case this is a disaster waiting to happen for some reason which hasn't occurred to me. I'm going to strip the shingle roof off of the existing coop and replace it with steel along with the new section. I've never installed shingles but figure steel will be a lot less hassle compared to matching what we have up there.

Interested in educated opinions but I'm not committing to taking the advice :lmfao::lmfao::bash::lmfao::lmfao::bash:
    I don’t think it’s going to be a good fit for you, since you already have a structure that appears to be in pretty good shape, but we’ve had several people do free-standing lean-tos for chickens. Usually a 12’x20’, but you can always go shorter.

We’ll usually do frameouts on one side for the chickens to get out and a walk-in door or window on the end.

Just a thought.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Ugh. Lags are so 20th century.

Step up to structural, or 'construction', screws.

rss10212.jpg

They cost more but save a ton of time and are much stronger than a similar sized lag bolt.
    I had just posted these and deleted. They are easy to use, drive in great. Worth the extra $$.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I bought my wife an 8x12 shed five years ago which I converted into a chicken coop. We're pushing 50 birds now and she wants it extended. My plan is to simply build a replica of the current one (as far as framing/design) right behind/against to it and simply nail the framing of each together where they meet. I understand this isn't likely the most secure means possible of accomplishing the goal but it's a chicken coop so I don't need it to support thousands of pounds of weight either.

LgO6TTeh.jpg

I plan to strip off all of the siding/trim from the backside here and just add on another 12'.

hoVQ8UWh.jpg

I figured I'd check with those more knowledgeable in case this is a disaster waiting to happen for some reason which hasn't occurred to me. I'm going to strip the shingle roof off of the existing coop and replace it with steel along with the new section. I've never installed shingles but figure steel will be a lot less hassle compared to matching what we have up there.

Interested in educated opinions but I'm not committing to taking the advice :lmfao::lmfao::bash::lmfao::lmfao::bash:

You are right on target.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Your steel roof idea is a good one.
    These days steel is very comparable to shingles in cost.
    For a job that size, the labor would be about a wash.
    The one huge difference is the longevity.
    A steel roof will outlast the shingles one hands down.
    It's tougher in hail storms or from impacts like falling tree limbs...
    Steel roofs are incredibly easy to install, especially for that small size
    I would not even consider shingles for this job if I could get the steel.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The new section is level but sits 3/4" higher than the existing section. I was considering shingles if I could tie them in with what's up there but I'm thinking I may just put steel on top of the old shingles using them as a spacer to level the roof out across the sections.

Gotta buy a door to frame in on the end. So far Menards is looking like where I'll find the cheapest option. We've got a 9 panel window door on the other end so I'm guessing that's what the wife will want. I'll be putting a few windows in as well once the siding and roofing are done.

Looks good from afar but far from good if ya know what I mean. My roof trusses didn't work out well as far as the joints meeting properly in spite of measuring everything three times, using an angle guide, creating one which appeared to be perfect when I held it up to an existing one then using that one as a template for the other 13. It's a coop and in spite of the gaps the joint is reinforced with another section of 2x4 so it'll be fine but man it would be nice to be able to produce better quality lol.

L5GOVJNh.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The new section is level but sits 3/4" higher than the existing section. I was considering shingles if I could tie them in with what's up there but I'm thinking I may just put steel on top of the old shingles using them as a spacer to level the roof out across the sections.

Gotta buy a door to frame in on the end. So far Menards is looking like where I'll find the cheapest option. We've got a 9 panel window door on the other end so I'm guessing that's what the wife will want. I'll be putting a few windows in as well once the siding and roofing are done.

Looks good from afar but far from good if ya know what I mean. My roof trusses didn't work out well as far as the joints meeting properly in spite of measuring everything three times, using an angle guide, creating one which appeared to be perfect when I held it up to an existing one then using that one as a template for the other 13. It's a coop and in spite of the gaps the joint is reinforced with another section of 2x4 so it'll be fine but man it would be nice to be able to produce better quality lol.

L5GOVJNh.jpg
    You tube makes things look too easy.
    I get more calls from people who "saw it on YouTube" and thought, " I can do that"..
    until they get to the part that YouTube didn't show, and then they're stuck...
    That's when I get a call to fix their mistakes.

Top Bottom