• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought my wife an 8x12 shed five years ago which I converted into a chicken coop. We're pushing 50 birds now and she wants it extended. My plan is to simply build a replica of the current one (as far as framing/design) right behind/against to it and simply nail the framing of each together where they meet. I understand this isn't likely the most secure means possible of accomplishing the goal but it's a chicken coop so I don't need it to support thousands of pounds of weight either.

LgO6TTeh.jpg

I plan to strip off all of the siding/trim from the backside here and just add on another 12'.

hoVQ8UWh.jpg

I figured I'd check with those more knowledgeable in case this is a disaster waiting to happen for some reason which hasn't occurred to me. I'm going to strip the shingle roof off of the existing coop and replace it with steel along with the new section. I've never installed shingles but figure steel will be a lot less hassle compared to matching what we have up there.

Interested in educated opinions but I'm not committing to taking the advice :lmfao::lmfao::bash::lmfao::lmfao::bash:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    50 in an 8x12 isn’t very crowded? Unless planning on growing the flock just spruce that shed up by the looks of it they are only in there at night? Get an “omelette” automatic chicken door with your $$ instead lol it is a game changer in the chicken keeping world.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm going to strip the shingle roof off of the existing coop and replace it with steel along with the new section. I've never installed shingles but figure steel will be a lot less hassle compared to matching what we have up there.

I have never installed a steel roof. Suggest evaluating cost. Also consider if there is a weight difference compared to asphalt shingles that may impact what your current framing will support.

Installing asphalt shingles is about the easiest (intellectually) job in the world, especially with a simple roof like yours. If sticking with asphalt I would say simply strip off the old and put all new shingles on the entire roof.

Look for advice from people smarter than me on asphalt vs. steel roofing as I have been drinking fluoride water and may not be the smartest one in the room.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    50 in an 8x12 isn’t very crowded? Unless planning on growing the flock just spruce that shed up by the looks of it they are only in there at night? Get an “omelette” automatic chicken door with your $$ instead lol it is a game changer in the chicken keeping world.
    50 is very crowded in ours. I'd imagine configuration has a lot to do with how many they'll hold comfortably.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    50 is very crowded in ours. I'd imagine configuration has a lot to do with how many they'll hold comfortably.
    All they do is roost in it though? That’s what I was meaning. They don’t need room for activities. Now that I have the auto chicken door it opens right at dawn closes 30m after dusk. It is great.

So they have minimal time in the coop and maximize the free range time not dependent on me waking up and opening the door or closing it for them, because that would undoubtedly shave minutes off the outdoor time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ours are in and out of the coop all day. Some of the hens lay in there, some other places. They're all roosting in the rafters of the coop so once I expend I'll block the rafters off and have roosts built in they'll have to use.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Your plan will definitely work.

If it was me I would just convert the lean to that's already on it into a roosting area. Add a clean out door in the back, and move the bird door to somewhere else

Top Bottom