• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    This will be my first deer season hunting with a modern muzzleloader. Due to the dates ML season falls in Tennessee, it'll be the only way I'll be able to hunt the rut.

With a little (lots) of help from an LGS owner, I think I'm good to go to the range with my new toy once I figure out which propellant to go with. I've watched every Yoos Toobs video only to be more confused on a choice.

So far, I've went with Federal 209 primers and Bore Lock 270g bullet. I'd like to go with a pellet, at least for my first season just to keep it simple and not to have to buy an additional breech plug for loose powder.

What say you veteran ML guys, which pellet would you recommend for an old rookie? I'm not afraid to clean any firearm, I find it relaxing, so don't let "burns dirty" affect your suggestion.

Thanks to all suggestions.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My recommendation....which, along with $5, is worth about as much as a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

I do, however, give a full refund of the consult fee.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    My recommendation....which, along with $5, is worth about as much as a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

I am on board with the White Hots as well. In my T/C they have provided the best results versus other pellets that I have tried.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

This is my first choice, when I can find it.
    Right now, I have enough for a dozen seasons.
    They not only ignite and perform well, they don't smoke as bad as Pyrodex or Tripple7 pellets, and I think cleanup is easier with IMR White Hots.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still hunt with a now old Knight Mk85 and caps. 2 Pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain Knight Sabot. It's been a powerful and accurate combination for me. I really liked the multi color laminate stock when they first came out.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I used Pyrodex pellets in the past with no issues as far as ignition on 2 pellets, 100 grain. Back then a few reported issues using 3 pellets, 150 gr, with consistent burn following ignition.

You should be fine whatever pellet you choose. If you have trouble with those Bor Locks or similar one piece bullets, give a saboted Hornady or Barnes a try.

Currently and for the past few years, I switched back to loose powder to get a more consistent load. Noticed the pellets were having small pieces chipped off and I could adjust the loose powder load up or down by 5 grains.

My current load is Pyrodex Select or Blackhorn 209 and a saboted 300 grain Hornady XTP or FTX.

Learn to clean the muzzy properly and not just with regular powder solvent. It took me a few years to understand this……. Blackpowder and substitutes are corrosive and the regular solvents don’t clean it.

Many opinions and commercial cleaners for blackpowder and I’m sure they work fine. I still have Butch’s Boreshine, but the best method I’ve found is a meticulous cleaning with cool Dawn dish soap water. Thoroughly dry, then oil the outside and non-petroleum lube in the bore

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I still hunt with a now old Knight Mk85 and caps. 2 Pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain Knight Sabot. It's been a powerful and accurate combination for me. I really liked the multi color laminate stock when they first came out.
    Those original Knights are great. I still hunt with my LK-93 that I bought new in the 90’s

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    125 grains Triple 7 powder, Hornady 240 Gr HP XTP sabots, Winchester 209 caps, in TC Omega. I got scared off pellets when there were reports of less than full ignition of all 3 pellets. I just keep a couple charges and bullets handy. I've never need a follow shot with the ML. All shots 70 yds. to date. Still working off my original tub of powder that is 12-13 yrs. old.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    I still use a flintlock here so i have no advise
    ....same here, never used anything but real BP....guys at my NCOWS club use both Triple7 and Pyrodex in cartridge guns and shotshells.....just never cared for Pyrodex....as far as cleaning, hot water and swab the bore with a moosemilk concoction or balistol, for my Trapdoor, I fill the bore with windshield washer fluid and let it sit for a while. Then swab it with Balistol and a couple swabs of Hoppes lead solvent...all my BP guns get the bore coated with LPS 2 as well as coating the wood and metal with the same.

Last edited:

AC3D

Plinker
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I used Pyrodex pellets in the past with no issues as far as ignition on 2 pellets, 100 grain. Back then a few reported issues using 3 pellets, 150 gr, with consistent burn following ignition.

You should be fine whatever pellet you choose. If you have trouble with those Bor Locks or similar one piece bullets, give a saboted Hornady or Barnes a try.

Currently and for the past few years, I switched back to loose powder to get a more consistent load. Noticed the pellets were having small pieces chipped off and I could adjust the loose powder load up or down by 5 grains.

My current load is Pyrodex Select or Blackhorn 209 and a saboted 300 grain Hornady XTP or FTX.

Learn to clean the muzzy properly and not just with regular powder solvent. It took me a few years to understand this……. Blackpowder and substitutes are corrosive and the regular solvents don’t clean it.

Many opinions and commercial cleaners for blackpowder and I’m sure they work fine. I still have Butch’s Boreshine, but the best method I’ve found is a meticulous cleaning with cool Dawn dish soap water. Thoroughly dry, then oil the outside and non-petroleum lube in the bore
    Big fan of Buckhorn 209. I like the ability to weigh charges down to the grain. Is the Pyrodex select worth a buy?
    My favorite load right now is a 290 grain Barnes TMZ backed by 110 grains by weight of buckhorn 209.
    This is above the recommended max of 150 grain by volume of most muzzys so don’t try this one at home unless you a gun that can handle 200 grain by volume charges.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Knight made 50 cal Sabots that would hold 45 and 44 cal pistol bullets. They are green or black.

Im almost identical but I use Knight sabots with 44 cal pistol bullets.
    When my #2 was little I would load the old Knight with two Pyrodex pistol pellets and Knights sabots with 200 gn Star 45 acp bullets.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Big fan of Buckhorn 209. I like the ability to weigh charges down to the grain. Is the Pyrodex select worth a buy?
    My favorite load right now is a 290 grain Barnes TMZ backed by 110 grains by weight of buckhorn 209.
    This is above the recommended max of 150 grain by volume of most muzzys so don’t try this one at home unless you a gun that can handle 200 grain by volume charges.
    I use the Pyrodex select honestly because it was on the shelf when I needed powder. Works fine. I use it in my old Knight and Traditions in line and traditional Lyman plains rifle. Using Blackhorn in my newer Optima with the upgraded breech plug

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Blackhorn 209 in my modern muzzle loader and Goex 3F in my .62 and .54 flintlocks. The Blackhorn burns hot and is very easy to clean up.

Dirty Steve

Hawkj

Plinker
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I’ve used Pyrodex and Triple Seven pellets for 20 + years and no issues. I’m sure other powders may burn cleaner, more accurate and less smokey but hey it’s a muzzleloader and it’s supposed to smoke right.

BP Enthusiast

Plinker
    Oct 30, 2022
    shelbyville indiana

Curious as to why you use such a heavy bullet

Top Bottom