• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So Ive been watching a batch of 500 or so reloads. Ive had some REALLY light loads. One Saturday that I paused and then elected to stop the stage and take the misses because I wasnt sure if it was a squib or not. (it wasnt)

a few stages later, I fired a shot, the next pull was a dud, and repeated cycling wouldnt go. Gun wouldnt lock up. So the SO and match director were kind enough to allow me to switch guns (since I'm not a "contender" and we arent playing for the Cadillac) . So new ammo and gun and the rest of the match went fine.

I discovered a round lodged halfway into the lands due to no powder was preventing subsequent rounds from chambering. (I literally prayed and thanked God for keeping that bullet where it was so it didnt cause a catastrophic fail)

So I'm now pulling down around 450 rounds. I was made nervous and annoyed by the light loads that sometimes caused malfunctions. But the squib was the final straw. So time to take them apart and redo them.

Pulling them down suuuuucks. But the one other squib I found, coupled by the occasional light load I find reinforces that I'm doing the right thing. And at 6 RPM, its not THAT bad.

/rant-ish

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ouch! Are you using one of those round pullers that's like a hammer? That's the only way I know of but wondering if there are other ways.

I have had to pull a few, but just a few during my loading sessions.

But I load on a single stage with many redundancies built in. I would love the speed of a progressive, but I think I would lose confidence in my loads if I went that route.

You'll get there. Just do it in small blocks of time. :)

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    That's exactly why I use a single stage, been there done that on a progressive. 500 rds of 45acp, brass didn't have enough tension to hold onto the bullets.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    That sucks. I had this happen to me a few years ago at an IDPA match.

Learned a valuable lesson about "one gun equals none, and two guns equals one, three is better...." I didn't have a "spare" at the match, but at least 5 guys offered to let me shoot their guns. I took one guy up on the offer and was able to finish the match with some factory rounds I had with me.

Gotta love the firearm community, nobody left behind....

PS I had to use the hammer method on about 250 rounds, slow PIA but worth the time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Did you load those rounds yourself? If so, you need to figure out the how, why, and where in your process that caused the light and absent powder charges.
    Yes. And the problem has been since rectified. I knew this load was sketch. I was already toying with the bottom end of the load, and powder wasnt throwing right that day. I had several mouse fart loads that concerned me. But I was just watching them and being cautious, keeping it separate and well marked. After the fart two stages prior that caused me to pause and take misses on the last target to inspect my gun, I was strongly considering doing this. Then God said "No, you NEED to pull them. Here is a squib." :):

Ive now got a strong light that lets me inspect the charge prior to placing the bullet. Ive inspected and rejected many loads since. No other batches have this problem.

On a related note, the rod multi tool IDPA sells works GREAT. Another shooter had a squib and they were able to clear his barrel with it. And I used it at home to clear mine.

Oh, and reviewing the video, you cant even hear the primer fire over the trigger sound. I figured you'd hear SOMETHING. Nope.

djeinpoco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2021
    Michiana Shores
    A short piece of thin weed wacker cord is a good gift to give to new reloaders to have in their range bag. I tell them to check their bores with it from the bench if there is any chance at all of an obstruction. They get good at it if you show them some YouTube videos of guns blowing up first.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A short piece of thin weed wacker cord is a good gift to give to new reloaders to have in their range bag. I tell them to check their bores with it from the bench if there is any chance at all of an obstruction. They get good at it if you show them some YouTube videos of guns blowing up first.
    Good idea.

These are great to keep in your range bag too. Multiple uses including pounding a squib out of the barrel.
    I let another competitor at that same match use mine to get his gun back in the game.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I finally got all those rounds back together. I had a moment of confusion. I ran out of bullets before I ran out of brass. I was confused for a minute then I realized my box of bullets was nearby when I started (I since cleaned off my bench), and I started by tossing my bullets back into the box until I realized I wanted to keep them separate because they are already marked.

(I color code my bullets with a marker so I can keep track of the 3 weights I shoot since I cant easily tell by looking. )

Top Bottom