• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I heard they were known for break-in issues but oof. Brand new PTR91 GIR-K, just over $1,000 from Atlantic Firearms, and it fails to extract every two or three rounds. The bolt just won't unlock reliably. It's 30% of the way to being a bolt action .308.

120 rounds of M80 ball and it didn't improve at all. My arm's sore from running the charging handle over and over. Is this what $1000 buys on the American-made market now? :stickpoke:

Got an email out to PTR now. Man this is a disappointment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I heard they were known for break-in issues but oof. Brand new PTR91 GIR-K, just over $1,000 from Atlantic Firearms, and it fails to extract every two or three rounds. The bolt just won't unlock reliably. It's 30% of the way to being a bolt action .308.

120 rounds of M80 ball and it didn't improve at all. My arm's sore from running the charging handle over and over. Is this what $1000 buys on the American-made market now? :stickpoke:

Got an email out to PTR now. Man this is a disappointment.
    Is the bolt cycling when you fire it, but just not extracting the spent round from the chamber? Does it extract it reliably if you cycle it by hand?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Is the bolt cycling when you fire it, but just not extracting the spent round from the chamber? Does it extract it reliably if you cycle it by hand?
    It's tough to tell when firing but I do not believe the bolt is unlocking properly. You can tell the difference between the mass of the carrier moving, even if it's short stroking, and the round simply going off with no action movement at all. It's stiff to open with the charging handle, but no more so than with an empty chamber. The spent case extracts and ejects fine when the charging handle is used, and it's not tearing rims off cases or needing to be beaten out with a cleaning rod. Sometimes the bolt is unlocked and back a little bit. I had a couple of stovepipes in that 120 rounds somewhere. A few times it smoothed out and gave me four or five in a row of regular function.

It's M80 spec 7.62 brass. I did note that the ejection seemed weaker than the near-deadly velocity I was expecting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's tough to tell when firing but I do not believe the bolt is unlocking properly. You can tell the difference between the mass of the carrier moving, even if it's short stroking, and the round simply going off with no action movement at all. It's stiff to open with the charging handle, but no more so than with an empty chamber. The spent case extracts and ejects fine when the charging handle is used, and it's not tearing rims off cases or needing to be beaten out with a cleaning rod. Sometimes the bolt is unlocked and back a little bit. I had a couple of stovepipes in that 120 rounds somewhere. A few times it smoothed out and gave me four or five in a row of regular function.

It's M80 spec 7.62 brass. I did note that the ejection seemed weaker than the near-deadly velocity I was expecting.
    I wonder if it's a gas issue? I don't know that much about them unfortunately. Do you have more than one mag? Just trying to think of all the things that might cause issues. I have a C308, which I think is a similar system (delayed roller) and it really slings the brass.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have 3 ptr91's and 2 century c 308's and i haven't had any of these issues, might check the operator spring for binding and just tear it down and clean it good , could have a roller binding, worse case is it is out of spec! check chamber for burs also could be binding brass there, might switch ammo too if you haven't not all ammo is the same!!!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I wonder if it's a gas issue? I don't know that much about them unfortunately. Do you have more than one mag? Just trying to think of all the things that might cause issues. I have a C308, which I think is a similar system (delayed roller) and it really slings the brass.
    No gas system on roller delay.

I did field strip and fully clean and lube it before use. Not much in the way of preservative grease in the gun, but I've learned my lesson about checking.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    ARK might better ship it in and have them fix it. I had a similar experience with a CETME years ago. Sent it in multiple times they never got it fixed. Took it to my gunsmith and said the barrel was messed up and needed a new one. I ask how much it was more than I payed for it new. It's been around 25 years ago I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a guy that had the same rifle. Lost money but that headache is gone.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    ARK might better ship it in and have them fix it. I had a similar experience with a CETME years ago. Sent it in multiple times they never got it fixed. Took it to my gunsmith and said the barrel was messed up and needed a new one. I ask how much it was more than I payed for it new. It's been around 25 years ago I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a guy that had the same rifle. Lost money but that headache is gone.
    PTR reportedly has a pretty good warranty. I fished around online, seems like a lot of people have out-of-the-box problems like this and a lot of people simply put ammo in 'em on day one and they work.

We'll see what PTR says. There is no gas system to adjust, but the roller delay system has all kinds of headspace stuff that can be tweaked with different size rollers and other hardware changes. I'd rather PTR just fix it, if they'll handle shipping.

It did zero just fine, and for just banging away at 50 yards doing a casual break-in it landed a pretty decent group. The screw retention system on the rear sight seems dodgy but it actually has some kind of wave spring washer under the screw head that keeps it tight. Elevation was pretty much right on from the factory. I coughed up for the PTR over the C308 specifically because I wanted the legit HK diopter sight, and it didn't disappoint.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have had a couple of the old cetmes in the past total junk, bolts would jam, rollers out of spec, bad receiver on one, gave up on them, never had a issue with any of my ptr"s or the 2 century's i have. I agree with sending it in to be fixed, Only thing i could think of is if he took the bolt apart was it assembled back correctly? I use these rifles a lot as i have tons of 308 berdan primed and if it is corrosive i don't have to worry with cleaning a gas system up after shooting.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Dang Ark, that kinda sucks. That may require the use of a Dremmel tool!

I don't have problems tweeking on new guns but that one sounds like a permanent headache. It would be a 'no joy' return if it were me...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont hesitate to send it back. Just in case you arent aware, Once its yours, its yours. They can ship it back direct to you, and it doesnt have to be shipped back to a gun store for you to pick up/transfer.

I figured you probably knew that, but just in case. I hesitated with my AR from PSA for my first gun return, but it was a pleasant surprise that they would ship it back to me direct, without a LGS hassle.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Dont hesitate to send it back. Just in case you arent aware, Once its yours, its yours. They can ship it back direct to you, and it doesnt have to be shipped back to a gun store for you to pick up/transfer.

I figured you probably knew that, but just in case. I hesitated with my AR from PSA for my first gun return, but it was a pleasant surprise that they would ship it back to me direct, without a LGS hassle.
    Yup. I've learned my damn lesson about trying to have an LGS handle a return...

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    PTR reportedly has a pretty good warranty. I fished around online, seems like a lot of people have out-of-the-box problems like this and a lot of people simply put ammo in 'em on day one and they work.

We'll see what PTR says. There is no gas system to adjust, but the roller delay system has all kinds of headspace stuff that can be tweaked with different size rollers and other hardware changes. I'd rather PTR just fix it, if they'll handle shipping.

It did zero just fine, and for just banging away at 50 yards doing a casual break-in it landed a pretty decent group. The screw retention system on the rear sight seems dodgy but it actually has some kind of wave spring washer under the screw head that keeps it tight. Elevation was pretty much right on from the factory. I coughed up for the PTR over the C308 specifically because I wanted the legit HK diopter sight, and it didn't disappoint.
    Bought one last year it did have the full auto bolt carrier group from factory in it bought from Atlantic also. i cleaned the bore and greesed the hell out of the bolt carrier and rails runs fine .But always cock and let bolt slam shut .I also am using hk mags from the start.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The HK91/G3/PTR-91 was made to always extract...no matter what. If it is not there is something wrong and PTR will fix it.

As you noted I'm one of those who has never had an issue with mine.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    CETME is the 1st of the that line of rifles built in Spain. They moved back to Germany and built the G3. If I have my history correct. May not its been around 25 years ago since I studied the history of the CETME.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    CETME is the 1st of the that line of rifles built in Spain. They moved back to Germany and built the G3. If I have my history correct. May not its been around 25 years ago since I studied the history of the CETME.
    Try mid 1944/45 the Gerat 06H a Mauser project became the STG 45 in 1944. A Dr Maier and Ludwig Vorgrimler were the Mauser team that after the war worked for the French then the Spanish and was born the CETME. In 1955 when the allied military government gave the nation's keys back to the West Germans their new ( old ) Army went for the MG-42 ( now MG-1 ) and the P-38 ( now ( P-1) but FN would not allow the Germans to build the FAL in Germany ( think 225,000 rifles at FNs price ouch ).......enter the STG-45 CETME gang of Maier and Vorgrimler and a modified CETME to German requirments and was born the G-3. Not all CETME parts interchange with G-3 parts ( I have a link to such a list somewhere ).
    As to the OP question what is the bolt gap? Does the bolt charging handle move freely in its tube wit and without bolt? You are doing the HK Slap to charge the rifle? There is a check of the extractor that is on HK.net that might be a good idea to look at. BTW there isn't a over gas system to deal with because there isn't a gas system.
    I have 3 roller lock rifles, a PTR-91F, PTR-32KF ( a gen1.5 rifle) and a Vector V-93. They are like owning a two stroke Saab, it's a car but very different. Of the three I like the PTR-32 the best, built like a tank, cheap ammo ( in another time ), easy to shoot and I can **** off the AK Fan boys because I can make hits 200-300 meters.
    Think a trip to PTR might be a good idea, enjoy your rifle.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Top Bottom