• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What is good price to pay for one of these? What parts would you keep on hand if you had one? I'm looking at one of these fine looking rifles. How accurate are they? Tell me everything about them. I'm thinking after the holidays I could sell my WASR, sell a few other assorted things, and have some Christmas money to buy my first battle rifle.

Also, what's a good relatively cheap .308/7.62x51 brand? I expect to pay up to $.50 a shot. I think since the GI PTRs have a looser chamber I can shoot steel cased ammo relatively well. But I sure am jonesing bad for one. I also like those $.99 magazines! :rockwoot:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I would try to get one of the earlier models with a JLD marked reciever vs. the PTR, Inc. marked receiver. These have an "A" starting serial number and are made with a lot of quality surplus parts(i.e. bolt carrier, bolt). I would be hesistant towards anything with an "AW" or "B"(home-build) serial numbers. These usually have the US made bolt which are garbage in my experience. I owned both an "A"(fantastic) and an "AW"(turd).

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The GI and classic series serial numbers all start with GI.

No A or AW to be found.

Good price? Suppose it's subjective, but my PTR91 classic black was a little over $1000 out the door. It's just a GI model in black. I think it was worth every penny.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What parts should I keep on hand? I'm thinking an HK contract bolt carrier and bolt, recoil springs, extractor springs, extractors, firing pins, locking pins, and some rollers. Anything else? Also what is a great place to buy these things since some places charge $400 for a bolt carrier and others charge $85 for the same thing from the same manufacturer.

I've found this site to be pretty good but no bolt carriers or bolt heads in stock at the moment: G3 Parts, HK91 Parts, HK G3 Parts, HK 91 Parts, HK-91 Parts, HK Parts, PTR91 Parts, V51 Parts, Cetme Parts, G3K Parts, HK21 Parts, Original German HK Parts, RTG Gun Parts

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The GI and classic series serial numbers all start with GI.

No A or AW to be found.

Good price? Suppose it's subjective, but my PTR91 classic black was a little over $1000 out the door. It's just a GI model in black. I think it was worth every penny.

Exactly. The A and AW series guns were earlier built models with surplus parts which are better made hence are more desirable.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Why on earth are you Jonesing for one of these monsters?:dunno:

Look at one with a wood stock then you'll understand. :D

But seriously I like the way they look, I like the reports on accuracy I've found, magazines are cheap, parts are cheap for what they are, and they can be made into an awesome battle rifle in a formidable caliber with a little polishing and tuning.

Plus, the M1a is more expensive.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Look at one with a wood stock then you'll understand. :D

But seriously I like the way they look, I like the reports on accuracy I've found, magazines are cheap, parts are cheap for what they are, and they can be made into an awesome battle rifle in a formidable caliber with a little polishing and tuning.

Plus, the M1a is more expensive.

I've had 2 PTRs and 1 Springfield SAR8(real deal Greek). Notice I said had. They were fun to shoot, but in the end there are way better options out there for the 308 caliber. To each his own though. :ingo:

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I love the roller lock / HK style rifles. Screw the haters :)

PTR makes them as good or better than HK did. Other than the weight I dont see any problem with them.

For ammo just keep a look out for surplus stuff or run Prvi or silver bear if you just want to screw around.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well what didn't you like about them? I like opposing viewpoints.

I didn't like the overall weight. For as much as they weigh, they don't absorb very much recoil and kick like a mule. Parts are pricey especially if you want to keep around an extra bolt carrier and bolt(if you can find them in stock). Optics were a PITA to mount, but that doesn't affect you since you like iron sights. I did like the cheapness of the mags and the overall ruggedness. I guess I am just spoiled on the M1A and AR10 platforms. I would suggest looking into maybe a FAL. Just a thought.:ingo:

I love the roller lock / HK style rifles. Screw the haters :)

PTR makes them as good or better than HK did. Other than the weight I dont see any problem with them.

For ammo just keep a look out for surplus stuff or run Prvi or silver bear if you just want to screw around.

Definitely not a hater, I just have experience with the platform and the shortcomings of PTRs. They are not made better then a HK.:): Go say that over on HKPro.com and you will get laughed off the site. I'm not that harsh;) The problem with the PTRs were the US made bolts which tend and have cracked due to poor workmanship from the supplier cutting corners. Another problem were the barrels which did not have the proper flutes cut right to the proper depth. I had one choke on NATO surplus due to the tar collecting in the flutes. The newer PTRs may have solved this by cutting the proper flutes so that may be a moot point. The only HK clones out there that come close to HKs are FMP(Port) or Springfield SAR3/8(Greek). And as far as the Springfield SARs, I am not talking about the aluminum receiver ones. That is whole different ball of wax.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't like how the AR-10 style of rifle offers no interchangeability between brands. Plus I'm not an optics guy anyways so I'm not missing out on too much.
    Don't know how much research you have done on the AR 10 rifles. I just finished building a DPMS LR 308, Almost all parts are interchangeable with Remington and Bushmaster 308 cal rifles & lower parts and interchangeable with ALL AR 15 rifles except the buffer tube assembly, receiver, and magazines. The LR 308 uses Magpul and Stoner type magazines (Arsenal rifles basically are limited to several Arsenal made parts including expensive mags.). I do have a few Military rifles and really like them including M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SVD 40 (Tokorov), Mausers, Enfields, Swiss K31, AK's, SKS's, (several Mosins), etc so understand your wanting one of this type rifle. Don't have one of the PTI GI rifles, don't know that I really want one. Don't know if I would stock any replacement parts though, I don't for any of mine - haven't needed more than 1/2 dozen parts for all my guns in over 20 years of use - probably wouldn't have had the ones I needed if I had kept parts in stock. I would rather invest in more guns and/or ammo!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Don't know how much research you have done on the AR 10 rifles. I just finished building a DPMS LR 308, Almost all parts are interchangeable with Remington and Bushmaster 308 cal rifles & lower parts and interchangeable with ALL AR 15 rifles except the buffer tube assembly, receiver, and magazines. The LR 308 uses Magpul and Stoner type magazines (Arsenal rifles basically are limited to several Arsenal made parts including expensive mags.). I do have a few Military rifles and really like them including M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SVD 40 (Tokorov), Mausers, Enfields, Swiss K31, AK's, SKS's, (several Mosins), etc so understand your wanting one of this type rifle. Don't have one of the PTI GI rifles, don't know that I really want one. Don't know if I would stock any replacement parts though, I don't for any of mine - haven't needed more than 1/2 dozen parts for all my guns in over 20 years of use - probably wouldn't have had the ones I needed if I had kept parts in stock. I would rather invest in more guns and/or ammo!

Buffer tubes are interchangeable between the AR10 and AR15. I have an LMT AR15 buffer tube on my LR 308. You just have to use a different buffer spring and buffer.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The more I read about the PTR, the more disenchanted I become with it. For starters, to get the desirable German parts you need an older PTR which is usually more expensive, but then you get crappy chamber flutes. To get a rifle with the good chamber flutes, you get inferior American parts (bolt head especially).

The bolt head and carrier is around $150 for a German set. Then on top of that, the original magazine release is missing and using just the button on the PTR can be problematic for one hand magazine changes. This is a $150 modification to get it done professionally and legally.

I think I'll just shop around and find something else. It's a shame since I really like the look of the G3 type rifles.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The more I read about the PTR, the more disenchanted I become with it. For starters, to get the desirable German parts you need an older PTR which is usually more expensive, but then you get crappy chamber flutes. To get a rifle with the good chamber flutes, you get inferior American parts (bolt head especially).

The bolt head and carrier is around $150 for a German set. Then on top of that, the original magazine release is missing and using just the button on the PTR can be problematic for one hand magazine changes. This is a $150 modification to get it done professionally and legally.

I think I'll just shop around and find something else. It's a shame since I really like the look of the G3 type rifles.

Told ya:ingo:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

All I can tell you is AR10 type rifles have been very hit and miss in our classes in regards to reliability. The G3 type have been rock solid. That being said, I think the AR10's are on the improve.
    DSC_0731.jpg

PTR 91 GI 308 G3 Based Rifle - With TEN New HK G3 20 Round Magazines
    716PatroldetailR.jpg

SIG 716 Patrol Rifle 7.62x51

Here are example of both that I would look at.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom