• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like to keep Emergency food ration bars in my go bags. Unfortunately the plastic they are vacuum sealed in isnt the most durable. In my last rotation, I found one of the packages had been punctured and lost its seal.

I started to go get some of that white plastic "cardboard" they use to make yard signs and cut up sections to make protective panels that can be duct taped together to essentially make a box.

But I wonder if anyone found a premade plastic box that they fit in? (without sacrificing space because the box is bigger than the bars)

iu

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I like to keep Emergency food ration bars in my go bags. Unfortunately the plastic they are vacuum sealed in isnt the most durable. In my last rotation, I found one of the packages had been punctured and lost its seal.

I started to go get some of that white plastic "cardboard" they use to make yard signs and cut up sections to make protective panels that can be duct taped together to essentially make a box.

But I wonder if anyone found a premade plastic box that they fit in? (without sacrificing space because the box is bigger than the bars)

iu
    Coroplast is expensive. I collect it at election time by allowing politicians to place the signs in my yard.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No clue. But why not simply vacuum seal another bag over each bar? Or the entire pack?
    Because another bag is just as fragile. if I get something pokey in the backpack, its going to go through both layers.

Ive only got 4 packs for my family of 4. I'll probably test out some cardboard and give it a final wrap in Gorilla tape.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well in a Go Bag weight and volume matter. Go buy some thin plastic notebook covers/folders and cut to fit your project. They will be cheap, lightweight and not take up too much volume. Once cut to your project then tape them in place. I would consider tape lighter weight than Gorilla tape. You could justify using the Gorilla/duct tape and then if you need duct tape during your crisis you have some readily available that is stored on your Datrex package.

What is your impression of the Datrex bars? Digest well and give you the calories/energy you need? Is the taste/texture such that you will want to eat them or is it an I'm starving to death and will force myself to eat them no matter how bad they taste?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thin flexible tough plastic can usually be had at goodwill or cheap housewares stores. They are used as table placemats and cutting boards. It would be pretty easy to cut them to size and duct tape the edges to hold it together and prevent the edges from perforating the bag.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What is your impression of the Datrex bars? Digest well and give you the calories/energy you need? Is the taste/texture such that you will want to eat them or is it an I'm starving to death and will force myself to eat them no matter how bad they taste?
    I havent put them to work, but I nibbled on some when I rotated the last ones out. Not bad, even several years after the advertised expiration.

I didnt like them enough to stick in a ziplock to munch on like cookies, but I also didnt want to spit them out either. I'd say we wont be miserable if we ever have to put them to use.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think I found a solution. I had to run to Dollar Tree to pick up some stuff. I looked for placemats, but no joy. I did however find 2 packs of flexible cutting boards that are PERFECT. With some careful cutting, each board will cover an entire package.

Top Bottom