• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Here is my two cents. I've only had bumper pull campers and they have been 38ish feet long. Our first one was 9000lbs ready to go. I had a f150, ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab, short bed to pull it. Plenty of power to make it all happen. We then upgraded tow vehicles to a F250 diesel built the same way. In the 1/2 ton, the tail wagged the dog on the interstates and crosswind made for some white knuckle experiences. The 3/4 ton solved all of these problems. We have since purchased a different bumper pull that is about the same length, but weighs 11,000lbs ready to go. I also have a 1 ton, single rear wheel in the same config as the other two trucks. I am confident that it will do every thing I ask of it. Since it is a diesel, the payload is around 3400lbs and rated to pull 20,000lbs. I know this isn't fifth wheel talk, but I hope it helps. Also, you'll get the tow police on all of the forums if you talk about being over payload in a 3/4 ton, even though they are very similar to a 1 ton (spec wise).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I would never DD a dually, but that's just me. But I don't like DDing any truck for that matter. If you are be like 95% DD and 5% pulling the trailer, a SRW 3/4 or one ton is plenty.

Hell, I saw a guy getting gas the other day with a Tundra and a big 5th wheel trailer. I asked what it weighed, he said a little under 8K. Apparently, it's not an uncommon thing to do...

Can the 5.7 4x4 tundra tow my 7600lbs 5th wheel?
    63A67CAA-1D6E-4E19-AC6D-BD8C6BECAB07.jpeg
    Excavator weighs 13500. Truck has compressor and airbags. Probably at 30-40 psi here. 07 Tundra.
    That being said, I’ve done this twice pretty much in desperation, moving a couple miles down a county road. Not recommended, obviously.
    Just agreeing with a post upthread that the power and transmissions of modern trucks are so advanced. Pulling and acceleration wasn’t a problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would never DD a dually, but that's just me. But I don't like DDing any truck for that matter. If you are be like 95% DD and 5% pulling the trailer, a SRW 3/4 or one ton is plenty.

Hell, I saw a guy getting gas the other day with a Tundra and a big 5th wheel trailer. I asked what it weighed, he said a little under 8K. Apparently, it's not an uncommon thing to do...

Can the 5.7 4x4 tundra tow my 7600lbs 5th wheel?
    I'm 100% DD... just sayin'... ;)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I’ve had them all, and still do.
    Duallys will be more stable than their 1 ton SRW counterparts, but at 600-1000 pounds tongue weight it doesn’t matter, if you’re not inclined to drive a dually.
    Going with a fifth wheel is more advantageous for stability than duals, compared to a bumper pull. I see so many small trucks being dangerous at highway speeds pulling too much trailer.
    So like others have said, pick the trailer out with tongue weight in mind and then get the truck.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    View attachment 158640
    Excavator weighs 13500. Truck has compressor and airbags. Probably at 30-40 psi here. 07 Tundra.
    That being said, I’ve done this twice pretty much in desperation, moving a couple miles down a county road. Not recommended, obviously.
    Just agreeing with a post upthread that the power and transmissions of modern trucks are so advanced. Pulling and acceleration wasn’t a problem.
    That poor CornPro trailer.

Fixing that trailer is how I make $$$.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Even "back in the day", it was pretty easy to get more rolling then you could stop. We used to have an ungodly heavy gooseneck for hay and a Chevy 1500 with a straight 6 and granny gear stick shift pulled it with no problem. You'd have been a fool to take it on the interstate, even in the 55mph days.

I overloaded my '87 Ram pretty badly once with gravel. 318/4 speed granny and it got it moving like a champ. First stop sign and I about sucked the bench seat up my ass I clenched so hard...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Listen to the Gerbil, not only is pulling capacity important, stopping ability is equally so, thus a brake controller is often standard on most capable vehicles.

Of course my recommendation would be A diesel.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    That poor CornPro trailer.

Fixing that trailer is how I make $$$.
    I neglected to mention that’s a 12k.
    I went to Northside Trailer inquiring and they told me they sold 10k and 14k. A year goes by and I need a trailer THAT DAY and go there and all they have are 12’s.
    It’s going on ten years old and still good, so I haven’t abused it too much.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    CornPro's can take the abuse, but I have seen and repaired broken frames on them.

If you ever took it back to have the bearing packed or other work, my last statement stands.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have looked and looked, and something somewhat "nice" to drive on the interior is around $70k in the 3/4 or full ton trucks. Ugh. Used aren't much of a discount.

I think we'll be skipping the fifth wheel and I'll just get another SUV.

May have another idea for vacations anyway

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Own a F250 diesel great for towing but the diesel is much more expensive to maintain. If you are towing weekends and not that frequently I would get a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton with the 7.3 gasser. Get the correct rear end for towing and you will be fine.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I have looked and looked, and something somewhat "nice" to drive on the interior is around $70k in the 3/4 or full ton trucks. Ugh. Used aren't much of a discount.

I think we'll be skipping the fifth wheel and I'll just get another SUV.

May have another idea for vacations anyway
    Right now is not the time to buy used with the fabricated chip shortage. Used trucks are ridiculously high right now. Almost makes me want to sell my F350 (not). We recently traded the wife’s 2 yo Outback for a new one with more features and the similar term loan only went up about $50 a month. Weren’t planning on trading but they gave us a very good deal on our old Outback due to the used vehicle shortage.

Top Bottom