• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it a dedicated tow rig or will you use it for other stuff? Dually is awesome for towing, sucks for everything else. 250/350 will have more expensive operating costs and a dually sucks as a daily driver. A fifth wheel also relegates the vehicle to towing and not hauling.

If you need to use the truck for things that are not pulling a heavy trailer I would suggest at least considering:
    250/2500 crew cab, short bed, SRW, goose neck hitch. That would give you a very capable towing machine with the flexibility to also use it for more routine stuff. If you don't need flexibility and don't mind the cost, a dually will be more stable at speeds and with crosswinds, no doubt.

A goose neck *will* limit your trailer choices and it can be marginally harder to line up to hitch. The up side is the ball flips when it isn't in use and you can use your truck like a truck when you don't have a trailer attached.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Be careful with the RV trailers as the manufacturers and engineers are not, they just design and build to sell, not tow great.

My story is about a travel trailer (not fifth wheel) that had the most awesome layout for a couple I have ever seen, the wife loved it. It also was light weight (5000 lbs apx) and advertised as built for smaller SUV's. I towed it home with a nice Blazer with load leveling spring bars and anti-sway, loaded it up and off we went. Passing a semi north of Flat Rock 65 exit I was blow completely down in the median (still 55 mph era) (my butt still puckers telling this).

It was not until then I realized they had put ALL the storage behind the axels, I had almost no tounge weight. So we unloaded the storage and threw it all on the floor oh the living area just to get some tounge weight. I then upgraded to a Tahoe, it still didn't handle it well. For long trips I had to borrow tractor weights to keep that front down.

I ended up with a 2500 Suburban that did handle it pretty well (trailer weight was under half the Suburban capacity) but it was a handful and tiring to drive that trailer. BTW, that same Suburban towed a 12,000 lb tri-ax like a dream without any spring bars or anti-sway hitches.

Look critically at how the unit is built and where the storage is. Is it all on one side? In the front or back? Manufacturers love to put all your storage near the door or under the awning check any trailer for balance because you cannot trust the manufacturer to do so.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A goose neck *will* limit your trailer choices and it can be marginally harder to line up to hitch. The up side is the ball flips when it isn't in use and you can use your truck like a truck when you don't have a trailer attached.

There are many options for opening up the bed when fifth wheel is not in use.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anyhoo- digression. Whenever I stop to think about it, we may have fond memories of the way things used to be, but I sold used trucks, mostly GM, but all kinds, in the early '90s. The most powerful engines I usually dealt with in 3500s were the 454 which had 230hp and the 6.5L TD at about 180-190...both with less than 400 ft lbs of torque. Even my 2007 Silverado 1500 has 90 more horsepower and just a little less torque. Everything you can buy today is so much better than what was available 20 years ago. It's stunning. Even the then-new Cummins 5.9L diesel was 160 hp and 400 ft lbs.
    So true, my wife's minivan is rated at 287 hp and 262 ft-lbs of torque.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Get a quick hitch mount kit in the truck and get a B&W Companion hitch.

Waymires Hitch on Chadwick deals and installs them found them to be the cheapest by $200 over some places.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Doc, I will throw in my two cents as well.

When picking up campers from the factory I much prefer to use the dually over the single rear wheel. It is night and day difference in pulling with a dually over a single rear wheel. Another thing, always go with the long bed, you do not want a slider hitch for a short bed.

I have used a diesel dully for years as a daily driver, its not bad at all. The only downside I have run into is automatic car washes.

Brands. I have literally had thousands of campers delivered to the dealership. Honestly, out of all those delivery drivers over the last 15 years only 2 were driving a Chevy/GMC, everyone else drove a Ford or Ram. I figured go with the people who rack up a million miles plus on their trucks. I have been using Ford diesels the last 10 years or so, but my trucks are getting older. I am not a huge fan of the new Ford 6.7 so our next dually will be a Ram.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've towed with a 1996 350 powered Suburban, 2004 8.1 powered 3/4T Suburban and I'm in the process of upgrading from a 2002 Chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab long bed with the 8.1 gas, single rear wheel. I've had this truck since 2008 and it's been a great truck. I've ordered a 2022 GMC 3500 SRW crew cab long bed with the Duramax. If and when I get this truck, I'm pretty confident it will be all I ever need. A buddy we camp with has the 2018 version and it will eat my 8.1 in all aspects.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    We went from a 25' pull behind to a 30 foot motor home and there is no comparison it is soo much better. Wife makes sandwiches while we are rolling down the road, only have to stop for bathroom breaks if it is for the driver. Dogs are not cooped up in the back seat. One thing about a motor home if you look at them. Make sure everything essential is acessable with the slides in. Not good if you have to stop and put out a slide to get into the bathroom. Jim.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    When we first got into camping, we rented a 32' bumper pull and towed it behind our 1/2 ton pickup. The truck got us there just fine. But driving on the interstate, up and down hills, frequent stopping\starting in traffic - I felt the truck was under sized. I went with a 3/4 ton diesel single rear wheel and have been happy for 20 years now. I can still easily park at the store, drive through a car wash, etc. and fuel mileage is also acceptable both daily driving and towing.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I would never DD a dually, but that's just me. But I don't like DDing any truck for that matter. If you are be like 95% DD and 5% pulling the trailer, a SRW 3/4 or one ton is plenty.

Hell, I saw a guy getting gas the other day with a Tundra and a big 5th wheel trailer. I asked what it weighed, he said a little under 8K. Apparently, it's not an uncommon thing to do...

Can the 5.7 4x4 tundra tow my 7600lbs 5th wheel?

Top Bottom