• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    FWIW there's iirc 2 threads over on rimfirecentral about people shooting lux and trainer stocks with scopes. Don't quote me but I think they said the trick was getting some kind of really low rings. Anyways, maybe search over there cause there's definetly some people doing it on purpose who like it.

I can't believe that after 2 years of wanting to get a CZ rifle that I end up buying the wrong one: bummer! :dunno:
    It will be interesting to see why the 457 Trainer doesn't work scoped.

If it is as bad as 2 members here have mentioned, I look forward to seeing how much it hurts my neck trying to make it work.
    If the bolt & the trigger aren't smoother than the RPR (not impressed with either on the RPR), I will be greatly disappointed. :crying:

If it is not a better shooter & I gain nothing I'll try a different model before I give up on CZ rifles & go another route (Jaguar has a 28" barrel).
    I didn't intend to keep both the RPR & the CZ 457 trainer, anyway, but I didn't anticipate the CZ not besting the RPR.

Oh well, it part of "the journey" and this will all be over in 3 weeeks & maybe two: it's being shipped out of TX in 10-14 days & it's been a week so far.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    FWIW there's iirc 2 threads over on rimfirecentral about people shooting lux and trainer stocks with scopes. Don't quote me but I think they said the trick was getting some kind of really low rings. Anyways, maybe search over there cause there's definetly some people doing it on purpose who like it.
    You have to clear the rear sight, so med to high rings required depending on the scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

An example of what I need, this is my 10/22:
    WgZlnPo.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    You need to keep your head and neck vertical correct? If so, the low comb on the CZ might just work fine. If it is too low, you could build the comb up with a layer or 3 of closed cell foam and wrap it with vet wrap. That way you could shoot it until you decide which way you want to go. I did that to one I had and it worked fine. Also gives the wood a little protection from dings.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You need to keep your head and neck vertical correct? If so, the low comb on the CZ might just work fine.
    If it is too low, you could build the comb up with a layer or 3 of closed cell foam and wrap it with vet wrap.
    That way you could shoot it until you decide which way you want to go. I did that to one I had and it worked fine.
    Also gives the wood a little protection from dings.

That is what I'm hoping for! :)
    Giving me that "extra inch" from the "shoulder drop" that I'm not getting even with the cantilever rings on my RPR & 10/22.
    They are close enough to what I need to get by with in height & turned around backwards to over come the length of the stock also.

I almost gave up on rifles until a member suggested the cantilever style for me. :(
    B/C of the neck pain I still couldn't shoot all day, but I don't need to anyway. :dunno:
    Another member also mentioned in a private email that I might have to use a leather comb wrap.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I scoped my 455 standard, w the hump back stock.
    While not ideal it was usable Swapped to a synth, which has higher comb and its better.

Like stated in another post, it might actually work out better for your situation ( stock set for irons ).

If w cantilever system the stock is too low, a simple comb riser fixes it. Its easier to add than take away LOL.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I scoped my 455 standard, w the hump back stock.
    While not ideal it was usable Swapped to a synth, which has higher comb and its better.
    Like stated in another post, it might actually work out better for your situation ( stock set for irons ).
    If w cantilever system the stock is too low, a simple comb riser fixes it. Its easier to add than take away LOL.

I can't wait to find out.
    I have received extra mag, rail, rings & scope, just need the rifle now. :)
    I have a friend who is getting a CZ Varmit, so I might be able to see hows his feels, as well.
    As long as it does as good as the 10/22 & the RPR I'll be happy.
    I'm ready to move onto something else besides the RPR & I thought it was going to be a Savage, since a friend's shot better than my RPR & I've been irritated about it ever since. :dunno:
    But, I decided to get what I've always wanted to try out: CZ.

The Tikka is now on my list of potentials as well.
    I would replace the 10/22 just for a change, but don't know where to start with that since I've spent all my time researching bolt actions.
    If the CZ is as wonderful as everyone says, both Rugers could go, but I have a boatload of mags, especially 25 rd mags that I'd miss. :laugh:
    I do love having the semi-auto 10/22, though. It doesn't shoot as well as the RPR, in my hands.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think the old 455 is OK.
    90 degree bolt throw kinda sucks, as does the backwards safety.

Shoots OK but not overly impressed. Is fairly new yet.

Trigger was gritty and creepy, like a cheap .22 lr.

I really liked the look and feel of my 1022 SP. But bolt and bbl work would have darn near doubled what I had in it.

The CZ shot better and was pretty much liveable without more $.

Trigger work and its gonna be whatever its gonna be. Sub 400 dollar rifle thats not bad to lug around in the woods. Usable accuracy w non match ammo.

But not up to the hype Ive seen on other forums. IMHO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think the old 455 is OK.
    90 degree bolt throw kinda sucks, as does the backwards safety.
    Shoots OK but not overly impressed. Is fairly new yet.
    Trigger was gritty and creepy, like a cheap .22 lr.
    I really liked the look and feel of my 1022 SP. But bolt and bbl work would have darn near doubled what I had in it.
    The CZ shot better and was pretty much liveable without more $.
    Trigger work and its gonna be whatever its gonna be. Sub 400 dollar rifle thats not bad to lug around in the woods. Usable accuracy w non match ammo.
    But not up to the hype Ive seen on other forums. IMHO.

I appreciate the details of other's choices. :thumbsup:
    I have bought every rifle brand b/c of member recommendations/experiences I read here.

I realize opinions are all over the place about "which" rifle is "best" & with my "abilities" (or lack thereof), anything I have is going to be better than my eyes.
    But, just like my RPR out shoots (by a little) my 10/22, I'm hoping that the 457 Trainer does the same to the RPR.
    If not: lesson learned. Again. :)

I ran into these 2 articles looking up what "SP" meant.
    What is the most accurate 22 rimfire rifle?
    Winner of the NRL22 National Match base class, the inexpensive, but accurate Savage Mark II is a classic shooter, that's perfect for new plinkers or anyone on a budget.
    Aug 14, 2019

Another list where the Savage Mark II was not even on it.
    The 10 Best Rimfire Rifles:
    - Ruger American Rimfire. ...
    - CZ 455 American. ...
    - Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Sport. ...
    - Browning SA 22 Grade 1. ...
    - Remington 572 Fieldmaster. ...
    - Steyr Zephyr II. $995Steyr Arms.
    - New Ultra Light Arms Model 20RF.
    - Marlin 39A. • $3195Marlin.
    Yet another list with noted differences.
    8 Match-Ready .22 Rifles For Any Budget:

Straight from the NRL22 National Match, these new .22 LR rifles are all tack-drivers
    Michael R. Shea. August 14, 2019
    In fact, five of the eight guns below placed in the Top 10 at the NRL22 National Match last May.
    - Savage Mark II FV $245
    - Tikka T1x $469
    - Ruger Precision Rimfire $529
    - Lithgow LA101 $1,100
    - CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. $1,144
    - KIDD .22LR Supergrade $1,290
    - Anschütz 1761 Sporting Rifle $1,495
    - Vudoo Gun Works Apparition MPA $2,800

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dont shoot .22lr enough to warrant the expense of a new Anschutz.

Hence the CZ.

But.....if I get the extra cash......thats what Id buy.
    Saw a nice older sporter for 1500 last show.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got a call from D&R firearms.
    The CZ 457 trainer is in.
    They’re open from 11 AM till 5 PM.
    I’m working up in Carmel on my son’s house doing a bathroom tile job and won’t be able to pick it up until Saturday.
    This is why they call it: life.

You don’t order a new rifle but once in your life and you only work at your son’s house once every couple of years and then they both fall on the same three days. :laugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Unexpected range day since I didn't have to work.
    At MCFG from 12 pm to 5:30 pm, and the heat wore me out!
    I used the iron sights at 25 & 50 yds.
    I had to put the elevation on the 457 at 125 yds when shooting at 25 yds. & 175 yds. when shooting at 50 yds (or it would shoot low for my eyes).
    Then I put the rail, rings & scope on and did 25, 50 & 100 yds.

2 pics of 457 Trainer w/iron sights
    hzXWRI3.jpg
    XFoDZuv.jpg

2 pics w/Vortex Sonora 4-12x44 Riflescope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle
    FSrUPUr.jpg
    VSMpSo7.jpg

Iron sights at 25 yds.
    Note: All ammo today was Aguila Super Extra, 40 grain, Solid Copper clad nose.
    gSYUsxE.jpg

Iron sights at 50 yds.
    BdpcmRR.jpg

25 yds with scope (Vortex 4-12 x44)
    rzUYx7Z.jpg

50 yds with scope
    CqMivMG.jpg

100 yds with scope
    dLuGNoM.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice! A short time back you couldn't imagine shooting 100 yards but look at your 100 yd targets now.:yesway:

Can't wait to go back & try out different brands of ammo besides the Aguila SE 40 grain HV SCN (it sure is waxy).
    Aguila did better than CCI SV in my RPR & 10/22, which is why I first tried it.
    I want to try at least 6 different kinds to see what does best.
    If there is a better ammo for it, I'll be tickled.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Today was using 4 other brands at 100 yds (besides the Aguila SE used yesterday).
    I did fire about 15 rounds at steel when switching brands.
    Sometimes the new brand would be higher than the one before it & I could do a little adjusting for that before hitting paper.
    Tough call to rate them from top to bottom b/c the top 4 seem to be very close.
    My attempt:
    1st = CCI SV
    Last = Armscor

CCI SV
    hyatdnl.jpg

CCI Mini-Mags
    aLrdlYA.jpg

CCI Blazer 38 grain, HV
    aLrdlYA.jpg

Armscor 36 grain HV, HP
    lBsAnVi.jpg

Yesterday's Aguila SE for comparison purposes.
    dLuGNoM.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back again for 3 days in a row for another day of 50 yds with all 3 rifles this time.
    I had to go back today to get my glucose monitor since it fell under the shelf & I thought it was in a bag. :ugh:

I now have all my rifles keyed for 50 yds for comparison.

Dialing the CZ 457 Trainer back from 100 yds to 50 yds using Armscor then CCI Mini-Mags.
    Top right w/Armscor & bottom left w/CCI Mini-Mags looks good with all rounds in the black where the "X" is.
    gFr9gKj.jpg

Comparing all 3 rifes (CZ, RPR & 10/22).
    RPR beats the 10/22, as usual, but the CZ didn't so as well as earlier.
    I had to dial it in some more b/c it was shooting low for some reason, but I was using the same CCI Mini-Mags???
    Maybe some of it had to do with me getting tired as well.
    QKrWFvP.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom