• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    I really hate to ask a dumb question, but I just want to know.When holding an semi auto pistol, like a Glock19 etc...I'm right handed...Is it propper to cross thumbs when holding the pistol, or should I place my opposite thumb under the UNDER my right?? I tried the other day to put the opposite thumb under, and it just felt really odd for some reason....if I've been doing it wrong I need to retrain myself until it feels natural.I thank you for your input.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There is no "proper grip" IMO, it depends on the shooter and how you shoot with each grip position.
    Try a few and use the one that's more comfortable and who gives you the most accurate shots.
    If im right you are talking about those two:

HGgrip_0925F.jpg

WJEJS-2dogsHumping.jpg

I found out that the one on the second pictures works best for me.
    I find it very easy and natural to aim with your thumbs pointing at the target.
    Your shots will go where you point your thumbs.

If you can put rounds on target then that the "proper" grip for YOU.
    It can takes time for a shooter to find what grip position works the best for him.
    Dont be affraid to try different ones and its ok if you dont hold your gun like most shooters do.We are all different.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I really hate to ask a dumb question, but I just want to know.When holding an semi auto pistol, like a Glock19 etc...I'm right handed...Is it propper to cross thumbs when holding the pistol, or should I place my opposite thumb under the UNDER my right?? I tried the other day to put the opposite thumb under, and it just felt really odd for some reason....if I've been doing it wrong I need to retrain myself until it feels natural.I thank you for your input.

There is no dumb question.

I was trained to lay my thumbs, left under right, and pointed toward the target. I can't tell you that you need to change, especially if you are accurate. You may have been doing it that way so long you are just used to it. I would suggest getting with a trainer and letting him take a look.

Trainers tried to get Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods to change their grips and they are doing alright...at least with golf clubs.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    One's grip & stance go a LONG way in assisting accuracy. Not the be-all, end-all, but a stable platform for the gun (your grip) and a stable platform for your body (stance) are needed.-J-

Amen, I recently found that adjusting my right foot maybe 4"-6" made a huge improvement in grouping.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    when I shoot my p229 or g22 my support hand tends to be more under my shooting hand than on the other side of the gun. It's more comfortable for me and tend to recover quicker and put more shots on target.

Shooting my CZ RAMI, It's closer to this
    WJEJS-2dogsHumping.jpg

The biggest thing is hold it how it's comfortable for you, practice the way you will shoot.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A little search on here should yield a lot of information on this topic. There is an old thread or two with several pictures.
    Grip in my opinion is essential and fundamental of shooting and there are right and wrong ways to do it. A proper grip will feel wrong to start with. The picture here with the thumbs point toward the target is a start but the left hand is too low on the gun.

What a good high grip on the gun with the thumbs pointing forward will do is make the gun track better and more consistently and therefore second, third and fourth shots will be quicker because the recoil will be managed better.

A few years back when I fixed my poor grip it took a lot of practice and effort but it was well worth the trouble.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thumbs towards the target made a huge improvement in my shooting. It felt VERY awkward at first. My analogy to it is the same feeling when you learn how to correctly hold a golf club. It just doesn't feel right.

One of the things the made it feel even stranger to me at first wa that I was biasing the pistol towards my right side, makeing the wrist angle of my left hand feel very strange.

I now center the pistol more in the middle of my body and it is much better. If you make a fake "gun" with your right hand by pointing your index finger and clasping the other 3, then grip that with your left hand, you will feel what it should feel like. Note how your thumbs naturally want to lay on top of each other pointing towards the target.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I found that with the thumbs pointing towards target improved my overall accuracy GREATLY. I can point my thumbs at something and know where they are pointing. Not so much just pointing a pistol. So now that I point my thumbs I know where the pistol is pointing no matter what. I can even do drawing and pointing drills now with no gun!

Recently I started to lay my left thumb on the frame. This has stabilized the pistol even more for me.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Real world operators, like the S.A.S., use different grips that fit the particular user for best results. Find what works for you by trying several ways with full power ammo and use that.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zawUndP50"]YouTube - SAS pistol training[/ame]
    Most of the S.A.S. and U.S. military shooters that I knew used the low thumb position; keeping the thumbs well away from the slide at all times.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Real world operators, like the S.A.S., use different grips that fit the particular user for best results. Find what works for you by trying several ways with full power ammo and use that.
    YouTube - SAS pistol training
    Most of the S.A.S. and U.S. military shooters that I knew used the low thumb position; keeping the thumbs well away from the slide at all times.

Take a good look at the guy with the dark hair, mustache, black shirt, and amber lensed glasses. I believe he was the "spiderman" in the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre, who crept along the outside of the building and was the first one in on the assault against the terrorists. Major cajones!

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    Thanks for the help. I might try to retrain myself and see if my shooting improves.
    It just hit me the other day that I may have been holding my pistol wrong....I've been pretty accurate, but have had issues with low left and just assumed it was too much trigger pull.
    Maybe trying the thumbs down will help a little....it sure couldn't hurt!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    This is what I use. Took a little while to train to do it, but now it is natural and works great for me. Take a look at the muzzle rise that Todd has, almost none. I think this helps me control recoil better and helps with faster follow up shots.
    ToddJarrettUSPSASteelChallenge.JPG

Also I got it from MP, not from Todd, Travis explains it very well here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbcAdkUikM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw[/ame]
    (changed the video, found a better one)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Take a look at the photo at this link:

The Proper Pistol Grip The Shooter's Log

One's grip & stance go a LONG way in assisting accuracy. Not the be-all, end-all, but a stable platform for the gun (your grip) and a stable platform for your body (stance) are needed.

-J-
    This is a good grip for a semi auto, however don't use this method while shooting a revolver, your thumb will get a nasty suprise! A few SW 500 owners don't hav a thumb anymore using that grip. I am now forced to use the thumb over, or thumb lock grip now due to the piece of titaniaum now screwed in to my left thumb. I like it better personally, but I guess you could say I'm screwed either way!

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Here is an extended version of the Magpul training video on “Grip”

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw]YouTube - Travis Haley on Handgun Grip[/ame]

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    You may not tell any difference on single shots, but if your thumbs are aligned toward the target and not crossed, I can guarantee faster follow up shots and more accurate double taps.

Top Bottom