Prohibited persons using the INGO Marketplace.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    On the reverse - I wish there was a Website that allowed the Public to do a Serial Number check on a weapon they are planning on buying to verify it is not listed as Stolen - it might not catch ones stolen in the last 24 hrs - but you would have proof that you checked
    This is pretty much what hotgunz.com is. I've never felt the need to use it, and something about entering serial numbers into a website just doesn't feel right, but it is there.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    In a similar vein, for those of us that deal on Armslist sometimes:

I've received four offers to purchase a firearm "as a gift for my dad," or "for my employees." or "for my co-worker." This puts you in the 'knowingly participating in a straw purchase' area. All in the past week or two.

Coincidence? Sting? Who knows. Just wanted to mention.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I've received four offers to purchase a firearm "as a gift for my dad," or "for my employees." or "for my co-worker." This puts you in the 'knowingly participating in a straw purchase' area. All in the past week or two.

That place is full of setup BS like that.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Can we get a wall of Shane going with these name? Just like back in the day when they would post bad checks people have written on the register?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the heads up!

It's understood that the specific related info is not for public viewing, but I wonder what the indicators were that tipped off the seller to investigate the potential buyer and how they went about it?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thanks for the heads up!

It's understood that the specific related info is not for public viewing, but I wonder what the indicators were that tipped off the seller to investigate the potential buyer and how they went about it?

I don't know for sure. The reporting member has been here for a while. The person they were dealing with had joined very recently and was a Site Supporter. In the information exchange between the member and potential buyer, a simple search online showed a few things. It went from there.

I won't go into too much more details for obvious reasons.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know for sure. The reporting member has been here for a while. The person they were dealing with had joined very recently and was a Site Supporter. In the information exchange between the member and potential buyer, a simple search online showed a few things. It went from there.

I won't go into too much more details for obvious reasons.

I wonder what prompted the seller to do an online search? Is that something that this seller or others do with any potential buyer?

I'm just wondering if this is something the rest of us need to consider?

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour

right around Christmas the ATF did have a sting with Indy metro. a friend almost got in trouble was offered double what gun was worth and he took the bait. Met with the buyer Luckly asked to see their ID the agent had out of state drivers license told him he just moved here and he didn't complete sale but they took him down town anyway. Not sure what they charged him with.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have used MYCASE several times for arms list and hoosier topics, most i have checked have been ok but have found a few that were suspicious, the only issue is if it is someone that has relocated from another state it doesn't have any info. I quit using arms list a while back, so never had a issue here on INGO but now i am questioning just how many here may not be legal since we have had a run on people joining since arms list started charging? i now require to see a LTCH for any firearm purchase myself!! or they can pay to do a transfer if unknown to me!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What I'm trying to get at is the question of whether we need to do more "policing" of potential buyers or not?

I have always had the understanding that a seller legally must not knowingly sell to a felon or improper person. Correct?

The question now becomes how much background checking is a seller required to do to to make sure? I was not under the impression that a seller was required to do any background checking on an otherwise assumed good guy potential buyer?

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    I suspect this will be next. Proposals for universal background checks would require almost all firearms transactions in the United States to be recorded and go through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), closing what is sometimes called the private sale exemption. Universal background checks are not required by U.S. federal law, but at least 22 states and the District of Columbia currently

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have always had the understanding that a seller legally must not knowingly sell to a felon or improper person. Correct?
    Correct. So if you ask them if they are a proper person and/or ask for a glance at their driver's license to verify residency, you have done your due diligence. Anything above and beyond that is not legally necessary (although some sellers do things like ask to see a LTCH, etc.).

Top Bottom