• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I bought a pair of Pro Ears Pro Tac SC Gold hearing protection last September and figured I'd give a review since it's difficult to find any reviews anywhere. The company is based out of Michigan and assembles them there, which is what got my attention over buying the Sordin Supreme Pro X. I've had a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports for years and a year or so ago they stopped working correctly. I'd been using them anyway without the electronics since I like how low profile they are. Even when the electronics did work, the sound was unidirectional and you couldn't tell where it was coming from. I figured I shoot enough, though, to justify buying something better so I can hear while teaching or taking a class.

They came with batteries ( I opted for the CR123 version ) and a cable to plug into the 3.5mm jacks on each ear piece. They are odd in that each side is completely independent of the other, including turning them on and adjusting the volume.

PE4.JPG

PE5.JPG

My first impressions weren't great when I realized the batteries just insert inside the ear cups with no weather protection at all. I actually emailed them about it and was told they should be fine in the rain when wearing them, but don't set them down with the cups facing upward. I wasn't particularly thrilled.

The next thing I noticed was that the CR 123 batteries stick out into the ear cups toward your ears slightly when put in place. I think they were designed for smaller batteries and the CR123s were an afterthought.

PE6.JPG

The first time I actually had them at the range was for a work related PT test. Half way through the test I knew I wouldn't need them anymore so I took them off and, while jogging, dropped them into the grass from about knee high. After the test I went back for them and noticed that the light drop and knocked both batteries out and I had to look for them in the grass. This happened several more times as I'm used to just dropping my Howard Leights or the Liberator IIs I have issued to me without any issues.

The next time I was at the range I was getting ready to put down a rifle I had slung up and knocked the Pro Ears off my head. They landed in the grass, but came completely apart. Both ear pads had popped off, the inner foam had come out along with the batteries, and the electronics were lying on the ground. I picked everything up and took it all inside to put back together.

PE1.jpg

While I was putting this mess back together I noticed that none of the electronics are actually mounted to anything (other than the on/volume knob). They are just sandwiched between a couple pieces of foam.

Despite all of the above, I've been wearing them every time I go to the range. I've just had to be really careful with them.

Last weekend I went to a Revere's Riders Carbine 223 class and thought they had survived unscathed. when the class was over, I set them in the back seat and drove home. When I got home, however, I noticed that one of the ear pieces had come off the head band. I suspect it was coming off during the class and finally came off completely when I tossed it in the back seat.

PE2.jpg

The ear piece popped right back into place and everything still works. I just thought they'd survived the class intact.

Now, that seems like a scathing review and that I hate the things. They do have some positives, especially if you aren't hard on your gear. They are extremely comfortable. The sound is actually pretty amazing and clear, and the sound cut off is fast. They sound better than the Liberator IIs I use and the comfort is about the same. The one other thing I like about them is the head band. Most brands of ear pro I've used take some adjusting every time I put them on. Not a lot, but it seems that they're always tight at the top of the ear cups and sticking out at the bottom Until I adjust them for a second. The Pro Ears fit perfectly every time I throw them on without needing any adjustment. The pressure is even all around the cups and they aren't uncomfortably tight. It may be because of the design, or because they don't fold up when not in use (which means I don't have to readjust everything like I do with the Liberators or Howard Leights after they're unfolded).

The bottom line is that, if I could do it again, I'd have bought the Sordins... and I will eventually. Like a lot of us, I shoot in the rain quite a bit. I'm also at the range a lot for work regardless of whether there is two feet of snow on the ground or it's pouring rain. I'd prefer to not have to worry about my ear pro getting wet or falling apart if they get bumped off my head. I never had to worry about that with the Howard Leights and they were only around $60.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I have a set of their silver 22 electronic ear pro, really like them so far (had about a year). I bought a couple of the passive kids size muffs for my god children to use when they come over shooting. I also try to buy made in USA which is what sold me on mine. I hope they make things right and fix them up for you.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I have a set of their silver 22 electronic ear pro, really like them so far (had about a year). I bought a couple of the passive kids size muffs for my god children to use when they come over shooting. I also try to buy made in USA which is what sold me on mine. I hope they make things right and fix them up for you.

I got an email from them. other than the broken wire, there was a small piece missing off of one of the circuit boards (the email said it was missing, not broken off). I was informed that it wasn't covered under warranty, but they'd fix it anyway and waive the cost. That's all fine and I'll be glad they're fixed, but they'll still be the same non-water resistant fragile ear pro when I get them back. To be honest, they're kind of useless to me as they can't really take a regular range day without coming apart. The fact that they are made in the USA (Michigan, to be exact) is what made me want to try them, but it was a pretty disappointing purchase. It's unfortunate because the sound quality is great and they're extremely comfortable.

Roryocsew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2017
    Granger
    Sounds like the Pro Ears are fragile and high maintenance. If you have the patience for them, great. I use a “low end“ Peltor that is durable and virtually no maintenance. I change the AAA batteries when needed and that’s it. If I drop them, I know when I pick them up they are ready to go. So I paid a little more, but over the long haul I have saved time and money.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I'll update this one more time.

I got these back from the warranty work last year, but over the winter they didn't get any use. I took them to a class last week. I didn't even have them all the way onto my head and I heard them snap. I didn't have any backup ear pro, so I pulled my duct tape out of my IFAK and taped them up. I spent all day shooting with the right side loose over my ear. When I got back to the hotel, I cut up my key card and used the pieces as splints, which kept them a little stiffer for the second day of the class.

ears1.jpg

ears3.jpg

I just ordered ear pro to replace these and they'll be spares for someone else to use as long as we aren't doing anything remotely demanding. I still need to buy a new headband for these. As much as I don't want to bother, I can't have these sitting around broken.

Rarely has a product angered me as much as these.

Top Bottom