• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have an old friend that is now willing to sell off a few items from his collection. There are 4 items of his that I would like to buy. I can either pay him for them now or wait a couple years and inherit them, but they will absolutely end up with me either way. I am trying to research prices that are fair for both the buyer to pay and the seller to take and not a price that’s highly inflated due to current hysteria pricing on some items. If you have an opinion on the values of these items then feel free to say so.
    All items are in good and working condition but they have all been shot a lot over many years, this friend was a high volume competitive shooter for his entire life and none of them are low round count safe queens.

1. S&W 625- 45 ACP, 5” barrel. Model of 1989. Has a very good action job, cylinders chamfered,
    and otherwise stock.

2. S&W 29- 2 or 3. 44 Mag, I believe it is an early 70s vintage. 6” barrel, good action job and partridge style front sight but otherwise stock

3. S&W 10- this is a Richard Wilson custom PPC gun. Has a huge Shilen barrel with a round bottom profile and some weight taken from the top. Has a phenomenal action job. Aristocratic Tri set sights, originally built in the early 80s. This one is the wild card of the group. I know these old PPC style wheel guns have current values no where near original cost, so some thoughts/opinions on this one would be greatly appreciated.

4. Kimber Eclipse Target II- 5” 45 ACP. Bone stock.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    There are several 625's but in excellent condition $700-800.

Model 29 -2 = $1200, 3 or higher $850.

Model 10 will be all over the place in offers, what one person thinks is "top dollar" someone else will say is "cheap".

Kimber NIB $1200, excellent $950.

Prices are from the 2021 Standard Catalog of Firearms 31st edition.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    3. S&W 10- this is a Richard Wilson custom PPC gun. Has a huge Shilen barrel with a round bottom profile and some weight taken from the top. Has a phenomenal action job. Aristocratic Tri set sights, originally built in the early 80s. This one is the wild card of the group. I know these old PPC style wheel guns have current values no where near original cost, so some thoughts/opinions on this one would be greatly appreciated.
    I purchased a Maryland Gun Works PPC revolver from Lou Ciamillo in 1980 for $500. It was made to feature all of his modifications. It was built on a nickel S&W Model 13 with a slab sided Apex barrel, Aristocrat rib, locking ball on the crane, chamfered cylinders, modified cylinder release, bobbed hammer, and smooth combat trigger with his rubber tipped bumper stop overtravel screw.

If I were to sell it I would expect to get at least as much as I paid for it.
    086.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The 625 5" was a highly sought after gun a few years ago and then USPSA changed the rules and made 8 shot guns legal. The 625 value dropped 30+% over night.
    If the finish has a lot of holster wear like many competition guns do I I would say a fair price for seller and buyer is around $600. I have had several customers offer me guns for less than that and some a good bit less but that is not common.
    IMO the 625 is THE S&W revolver and everyone should have one. Definitely my favorite to shoot and work on.

The model 29 depending on the dash number and wear on the finish I would say $700-$750 is fair for both of you. If it wasn't drawn a lot from the holster and finish is nice then maybe more.

The model 10 is so specialized that it is hard to value. It is worth no where near what was put into it. The big problem is that it is a VERY small market that is even interested in one. While it is a cool gun and someone might want it for a range toy.
    I had someone offer me one about 6 months ago it was a Aftermarket bull barrel model 10 with the standard PPC mods for $400 and I passed.
    I sold a 686 PPC gun about 10 years ago for $500.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I purchased a Maryland Gun Works PPC revolver from Lou Ciamillo in 1980 for $500. It was made to feature all of his modifications. It was built on a nickel S&W Model 13 with a slab sided Apex barrel, Aristocrat rib, locking ball on the crane, chamfered cylinders, modified cylinder release, bobbed hammer, and smooth combat trigger with his rubber tipped bumper stop overtravel screw.

If I were to sell it I would expect to get at least as much as I paid for it.
    View attachment 120871
    I'll take it.
    Seriously I'll give you your money back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The 625 5" was a highly sought after gun a few years ago and then USPSA changed the rules and made 8 shot guns legal. The 625 value dropped 30+% over night.
    If the finish has a lot of holster wear like many competition guns do I I would say a fair price for seller and buyer is around $600. I have had several customers offer me guns for less than that and some a good bit less but that is not common.
    IMO the 625 is THE S&W revolver and everyone should have one. Definitely my favorite to shoot and work on.

The model 29 depending on the dash number and wear on the finish I would say $700-$750 is fair for both of you. If it wasn't drawn a lot from the holster and finish is nice then maybe more.

The model 10 is so specialized that it is hard to value. It is worth no where near what was put into it. The big problem is that it is a VERY small market that is even interested in one. While it is a cool gun and someone might want it for a range toy.
    I had someone offer me one about 6 months ago it was a Aftermarket bull barrel model 10 with the standard PPC mods for $400 and I passed.
    I sold a 686 PPC gun about 10 years ago for $500.
    You're a little behind the times on your M29 prices, those wouldn't be rip-off prices but I guess it's up to the seller to find out the value of what he's got.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    You're a little behind the times on your M29 prices, those wouldn't be rip-off prices but I guess it's up to the seller to find out the value of what he's got.
    Well he said pre covid prices.
    Also if drawn from a holster a lot gun may have quite abit of it's finish worn off. Which I said if finish is decent price may be higher.

Top Bottom