• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I recently purchased some spare parts for a discontinued pistol. What do you all do for preparing parts for long term storage in case they are ever needed? Carburetor cleaner followed by Birchwood Casey Barricade? Or something else to give a light protective coating?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I deep clean then apply barricade or similar product then seal in vacuum bags with a silica desiccant pack.

ETA: this was my 500th post. Only forum i've ever joined and remained active on. Many thanks to all the ingoers that make this a welcoming and helpful place!
    Your a good addition to the "family".

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Your a good addition to the "family".
    Thanks neighbor!
    Spare parts? Hmm...maybe I should think about buying some for my most used firearms.
    Same. Bought way too many guns when I was first starting out, both in terms of what I could afford, and what I could practically store and use. Now just trying to make sure the guns I keep run as long as possible.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I was once asked where I would get spare parts for one of my favorite shooters, an SAR-1. My reply was I bought a second SAR-1.
    That's part of my plan as well, but doing that now is significantly more expensive. The pistol I purchased last year now sells with fewer magazines and higher prices. Spare parts are still about the same price-wise.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's part of my plan as well, but doing that now is significantly more expensive. The pistol I purchased last year now sells with fewer magazines and higher prices. Spare parts are still about the same price-wise.
    Yeah, I have been wanting another M&P 2.0 Compact but I can't bring myself to pay over a $100 more for one now then when I bought my first one.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The market will settle down, it will just take some time.
    At least guns are more available and have come down in price a little on some models.

As far as long term storage of spare parts. I clean them well and oil them with BreakFree Collectors series lube.
    It's just an oil with a thicker viscosity, I then vacuum seal them.
    I don't have too many spare parts, but with the few I have, that is what I have done with them.

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Yeah, I have been wanting another M&P 2.0 Compact but I can't bring myself to pay over a $100 more for one now then when I bought my first one.
    Agreed! A few years ago Smith had a big rebate on the 9mm M&P. I think I had, maybe 140.00 in it, new in the box, after the "sale", and rebate. Likely won't see that any time soon! Definitely a keeper. We'll likely need a few "official" items, if "Fingers" lasts (like a Ruby, or two??).

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    My spare parts usually wind up growing into another firearm somehow. ACF50 is good corrosion protectant. After that like others stated, just ziplock and desiccant.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I usually put a bit of clp on small parts and put them in a scalable container of sometype. Example is I got a parts kit from sarco for my para lda and put that plus 2 own mags which I don't intend to use in a scalable clear box that I got in the camping aisle at Wal-Mart. If the parts are for a specific gun that I don't carry I put parts in the locked factory box under the padding.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    My spare parts usually wind up growing into another firearm somehow. ACF50 is good corrosion protectant. After that like others stated, just ziplock and desiccant.
    I'm sure if they were AR parts, that would be the case, but for this current set of spare pistol parts, it's a lot less likely.

I usually put a bit of clp on small parts and put them in a scalable container of sometype. Example is I got a parts kit from sarco for my para lda and put that plus 2 own mags which I don't intend to use in a scalable clear box that I got in the camping aisle at Wal-Mart. If the parts are for a specific gun that I don't carry I put parts in the locked factory box under the padding.
    I guess I don't trust CLP for long term storage, but if it works for you, then by all means. The scalable camping boxes are an interesting idea.

On a related note, I thought this testing was very interesting: https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    The water displacement test is total nonsense, but the rest is rather cool.

Top Bottom