• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I hate to say this and sound bad but I have never had to draw down on someone and have not had it cross my mind today. An altercation took place that affects me indirectly but the person on the negative end is a known convicted violent offender who knows where I live. He has made several statements as to what he would do to some one that made him mad. I would rather be safe than sorry but not sure if it is even possible to mentally prepare myself for the occasion should it arise.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Look up BulletProof Mind by Dave Grossman. May have most or all of it on YouTube.

To me, there are 2 stages of preparation. The first is being ready to shoot should the situation arise. This stage is accomplished largely through good training. As with many stressful situations, you are able to react in an appropriate manner without thinking about it at the time. Again, good training is the key.

The second stage is dealing with the aftermath. You will hear about how great of a father/husband/son/friend/etc. the dirtbag was and that he was just turning his life around when you "murdered" him. The dirtbag's family will also file a lawsuit and depending what kind of counsel they can afford, will try to tie you up in court for years.

Make sure these stages are separated in your mind. If you do not react appropriately when your life is in danger, a lawsuit will be of no concern.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Look up BulletProof Mind by Dave Grossman. May have most or all of it on YouTube.

To me, there are 2 stages of preparation. The first is being ready to shoot should the situation arise. This stage is accomplished largely through good training. As with many stressful situations, you are able to react in an appropriate manner without thinking about it at the time. Again, good training is the key.

The second stage is dealing with the aftermath. You will hear about how great of a father/husband/son/friend/etc. the dirtbag was and that he was just turning his life around when you "murdered" him. The dirtbag's family will also file a lawsuit and depending what kind of counsel they can afford, will try to tie you up in court for years.

Make sure these stages are separated in your mind. If you do not react appropriately when your life is in danger, a lawsuit will be of no concern.

It would probably be a good idea to locate a good gun lawyer, just in case.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Thanks guys I am just trying mainly to calm my mind for something that may not even occur but ignoring it is like letting your car stall on the train tracks and then thinking oh that freight train will stop in time..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Each to his own opinion..

To me, this is something that I would NOT bring up/post on any open forum.:noway:
    If TSHTF you (The OP) have just made the Dirt Bag the victim of a purposeful shooting by one of "Those Gun Nuts":n00b:
    Any lawyer worth his salt will find this thread and have a hay day against the OP in front of a jury, in the civil suit that WILL follow.
    Not to flame at all, but IMO anyone who is NOT of the proper mindset, should not resort to a firearm for defense.
    The OP has provided any First Year attorney the "Laying In Wait" benefit to ANY dirt bag that actually NEEDS to be shot!
    AGAIN this is just my opinion on the post.:twocents:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    +1 billybob44. Yeah, bad ideas.

I WOULD SUGGEST FINDING ALTERNATIVES TO VIOLENCE, LIKE MEDIATION OR TAKING A GOOD, VIGOROUS RUN AROUND THE BLOCK.

But, I would delete this thread.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To me, this is something that I would NOT bring up/post on any open forum.:noway:
    If TSHTF you (The OP) have just made the Dirt Bag the victim of a purposeful shooting by one of "Those Gun Nuts":n00b:
    Any lawyer worth his salt will find this thread and have a hay day against the OP in front of a jury, in the civil suit that WILL follow.
    Not to flame at all, but IMO anyone who is NOT of the proper mindset, should not resort to a firearm for defense.
    The OP has provided any First Year attorney the "Laying In Wait" benefit to ANY dirt bag that actually NEEDS to be shot!
    AGAIN this is just my opinion on the post.:twocents:

I do not agree. His post did not indicate any of what is said above. He indicated his concern that the person was violent and the OP did not know if he could prepare himself mentally for confrontation with such a violent person. No more.

Terry

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Apparently the post I wanted to quote has been deleted so let me try to rephrase it better.

If a lawyer were to get a hold of what has been said in this thread, it MIGHT be twisted to imply premeditation to the jury.

It is best to leave topics like this as simply questions without any personal details or back story

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

There will not be any civil suit. And if there is, it will be immediately thrown out if the shooting has been ruled justified. Thats the great thing about Indiana law. If you are justified in a shooting, you CANNOT be tried in a criminal or civil case of any kind. That wasn't the case in Michigan where I lived for a few years. A civil suit could cost you more than you could ever imagine.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    There will not be any civil suit. And if there is, it will be immediately thrown out if the shooting has been ruled justified. Thats the great thing about Indiana law. If you are justified in a shooting, you CANNOT be tried in a criminal or civil case of any kind. That wasn't the case in Michigan where I lived for a few years. A civil suit could cost you more than you could ever imagine.
    That is kind of a "Roll of the Dice" to me. Get a 7= OK-get an 11 =OK..........Anything in-between is just craps.....

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That is kind of a "Roll of the Dice" to me. Get a 7= OK-get an 11 =OK..........Anything in-between is just craps.....

Not necessarily TRYING to be argumentative, but I lived in Michigan for some time and had to put up with their crap. They even tell you when you go for training to get your Concealed Pistols License that you WILL face a civil suit if you are involved in a shooting.

In Indiana, its not really a crap shoot. It is black and white in the Indiana code. If you are involved in a shooting there WILL be an investigation. That investigation will determine whether you were justified in using deadly force as defined in Indiana code. If you are determined to be justified, you cannot be prosecuted in either criminal or civil court.

Indiana code is actually well written in this regard.

Just my :twocents:.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I hate to say this and sound bad but I have never had to draw down on someone and have not had it cross my mind today. An altercation took place that affects me indirectly but the person on the negative end is a known convicted violent offender who knows where I live. He has made several statements as to what he would do to some one that made him mad. I would rather be safe than sorry but not sure if it is even possible to mentally prepare myself for the occasion should it arise.

Kudos for recoginzing mental prep--and your own status--as being key to winning such a fight! Lt. Col. Grossman is an excellent resource.
    besides training in gun operation: marksmanship, clearing malfunctions etc., you can train your mind through things like visualization and "force on force" training.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Not necessarily TRYING to be argumentative, but I lived in Michigan for some time and had to put up with their crap. They even tell you when you go for training to get your Concealed Pistols License that you WILL face a civil suit if you are involved in a shooting.

In Indiana, its not really a crap shoot. It is black and white in the Indiana code. If you are involved in a shooting there WILL be an investigation. That investigation will determine whether you were justified in using deadly force as defined in Indiana code. If you are determined to be justified, you cannot be prosecuted in either criminal or civil court.

Indiana code is actually well written in this regard.

Just my :twocents:.
    You're probably Hdood. What worries me is the things that come up during said investigation.
    A look at Zoomies troubles over the wounding of a dog is a prime example on how the most common sense things can get out of hand.
    I hope that I am never placed in the position to use deadly force, but I am prepared to stay COM until the threat has been halted.
    You're also right MI. laws suck in that regard.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I would rather be safe than sorry but not sure if it is even possible to mentally prepare myself for the occasion should it arise.

Oh yes, it is, and help is available.

Mindset Lab

Yes, there are others, too. Some are listed as sponsors at the top of the T&T forum page, but I know for a fact if you spend some time with the one in the link your questions and doubts will be resolved.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I plan on taking the force on force in january but I am still trying to get the wife to go as well but she unfortunately doesn't understand the point in it as she will always be with me when traveling or in unsure territory. Wish I could get her to understand your surroundings are only as safe as YOU can make them.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

... If you do not react appropriately when your life is in danger, a lawsuit will be of no concern.

I plan on taking the force on force in january but I am still trying to get the wife to go as well but she unfortunately doesn't understand the point in it as she will always be with me when traveling or in unsure territory. Wish I could get her to understand your surroundings are only as safe as YOU can make them.

Have your wife listen to BulletProof Mind with you ... or get it on CD/MP3 for the car. ... that might help convince her.

which reminds me ... I need to find my copy ...

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    +eleventybillion for Grossman. "On Killing", and "On Combat". You can usually find them on the shelf at Barnes & Noble.

Prepare yourself, so that you will recognize your gut reactions, and understand that they are normal.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom