• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Sep 2, 2008
    I have been in the market for a Remington 1958 New Army revolver, and I noticed that Cabela's has several finish options - blue, blue / patina (which I assume is similar to color case hardened?), stainless, and silver nickel. I like the authentic look of the blue, or blue/patina models, so I am leaning that direction. The stainless is about $75 to $100 higher than the all blue. The only thing I am really set on is the steel frame, for strength. So what have you found to be best? Is the stainless worth the extra cash? Just wondered what others recommend. Thanks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Blue finish is good, clean the gun with lots of hot water and then treat with Ballistol after shooting and it will last a long time.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Sep 2, 2008
    Well, I stopped at Cabela's and they had nothing in stock, so still looking. If I had my preference of what they had listed on their website, I would go with the color case hardened frame and blue barrel, but I would have taken any option they had in stock if it had steel frame.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Well, I stopped at Cabela's and they had nothing in stock, so still looking. If I had my preference of what they had listed on their website, I would go with the color case hardened frame and blue barrel, but I would have taken any option they had in stock if it had steel frame.
    Which Cabelas were you at? If up in NWI I was just there Wednesday & thought I saw a few on the far left case (wasn't actually paying much attention though) Fyi you can order a BP pistol online and they will deliver it to the store. With labor day coming up they might have a few online sales. Oh my vote is old-school blue'd, case hardened a plus. But stainless is easier to clean, love my ROA for some cheap anachronistic range time.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Sep 2, 2008
    I visited the Cabelas near Fishers. Unfortunately I live up near Fort Wayne so I don't get the chance to stop there often. I may see if I can get one through Sportsmans Warehouse. I think they have C&B revolvers online, so maybe I can order there?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have been in the market for a Remington 1958 New Army revolver, and I noticed that Cabela's has several finish options - blue, blue / patina (which I assume is similar to color case hardened?), stainless, and silver nickel. I like the authentic look of the blue, or blue/patina models, so I am leaning that direction. The stainless is about $75 to $100 higher than the all blue. The only thing I am really set on is the steel frame, for strength. So what have you found to be best? Is the stainless worth the extra cash? Just wondered what others recommend. Thanks!

Still my favorite finish for cap and ball...

photo.JPG

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    My son-in-law used a pair of stainless for SASS for several years. The finish held up great. The blued ones showed use real quick, don't know how finish holds up on new ones. The stainless you can buff the finish back to new easy. I do know that the blued ROA finish holds up much better than blued guns from Italy.

WillH

Plinker
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I've always been partial to blue. Easy to maintain, easy to touch up, looks really nice.

Top Bottom