Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I will take any advice I can obtain for proper accessories that would be worth it. Plus experience is better than just jumping down this rabbit hole!
    So far the only thing I’ve done is a vortex viper 5-25 scope and an ergo grip because I’m not a big fan of the A2 grips. I don’t really think there’s a whole lot that needs done to these imho, they are a pretty solid rifle.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So far the only thing I’ve done is a vortex viper 5-25 scope and an ergo grip because I’m not a big fan of the A2 grips. I don’t really think there’s a whole lot that needs done to these imho, they are a pretty solid rifle.
    That is honestly great to know! Im currently using a Leupold Mark 4 3.5x -10x- 40x scope for our films/shows and then deciding if more is needed in the future. Trying to decide if a Atlas Bipod is the next route along with a grip change.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was looking for a 6.5 creed but got lucky and found some 338 Lapua Treasure at my favorite Premier Arms in Brownsburg!

All I can say is it must have been Destiny! They even had one box of ammo left!

The Build Begins!

View attachment 257312

View attachment 257313

View attachment 257314
    I've got an RPR in 338 and it's my rifle for 1 mile competitions. I'm assuming you hand load your own ammo or are going to start. I've done nothing to the gun other than changing the pistol grip and working up a load. I went with a Vortex Strike Eagle because of all the internal elevation adjustment I'll need for the distances I've shot.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I've got an RPR in 338 and it's my rifle for 1 mile competitions. I'm assuming you hand load your own ammo or are going to start. I've done nothing to the gun other than changing the pistol grip and working up a load. I went with a Vortex Strike Eagle because of all the internal elevation adjustment I'll need for the distances I've shot.
    Im starting to learn about the ammo prices.. but accepted this when I became interested in the 338 Lapua. I have been researching reloading and just may start a new hobby but would like to do it safely and obtain training from someone that has done the loads like yourself!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Im starting to learn about the ammo prices.. but accepted this when I became interested in the 338 Lapua. I have been researching reloading and just may start a new hobby but would like to do it safely and obtain training from someone that has done the loads like yourself!
    If you were closer I'd take you under my wing. Since that's not likely the case, I'd recommend reading this where I did a work up with my rifle and wrote down some notes about it. I should probably update this thread a little bit about the rifle.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why not get a Spuhr mount with 30 moa elevation built in so you could have more scope options?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The ruger precision rifle in 338 Lapua comes with a 30 MOA mount on it. For most scopes and most calibers, a 20 MOA base with a scope with a normal elevation range will get to 1,000 yards and a little farther. Originally I was hoping to take this rifle to a 3,000 yard class, where I'd likely be dialing and using the reticle of the scope to get what distance I could out of the rig.

For example, a Vortex gen II PST 5-25 has 70 MOA of internal adjustment. After a base with 20 or 30 MOA built into it you'd be lucky if you had 50 - 60 MOA of actual adjustment after zeroing your rifle.

The strike eagle 5-25 has 110 MOA of internal adjustment and after base and zeroing you're likely to 40 more MOA of internal adjustment in the scope. I'll be the first to admit it's not the same glass as a PST of a Razor gen II, but it tracks out to a mile and I can't really ask much more than that out of any piece of glass.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The ruger precision rifle in 338 Lapua comes with a 30 MOA mount on it. For most scopes and most calibers, a 20 MOA base with a scope with a normal elevation range will get to 1,000 yards and a little farther. Originally I was hoping to take this rifle to a 3,000 yard class, where I'd likely be dialing and using the reticle of the scope to get what distance I could out of the rig.

For example, a Vortex gen II PST 5-25 has 70 MOA of internal adjustment. After a base with 20 or 30 MOA built into it you'd be lucky if you had 50 - 60 MOA of actual adjustment after zeroing your rifle.

The strike eagle 5-25 has 110 MOA of internal adjustment and after base and zeroing you're likely to 40 more MOA of internal adjustment in the scope. I'll be the first to admit it's not the same glass as a PST of a Razor gen II, but it tracks out to a mile and I can't really ask much more than that out of any piece of glass.
    Now this is great information and you just gave me some really good insight just in time! Thank you!

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    I bought a Ruger MPR AR-15 that everyone tried to tell me was bad.Then I was warned about this..I've never purchased a bad Ruger.Must be lucky.I did take them both apart and check everything.Both were good.Ive put over a thousand rounds of all types of ammo thru that MPR..not a single malfunction.So far so good on the SFAR You should be happy

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    Back from Yellowbanks and with a decent crosswind this is 358 yards.I am happy so far.After I figure out not to drink a damn energy drink right before I go it'll be better...lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_221440.jpg
      IMG_20230402_221440.jpg
      464.4 KB · Views: 16
    • IMG_20230402_221407.jpg
      IMG_20230402_221407.jpg
      522.7 KB · Views: 16
    • IMG_20230402_221505.jpg
      IMG_20230402_221505.jpg
      516.5 KB · Views: 16
    Top Bottom