• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is my sig cross in 6.5cm. It's not the most precise rifle I've ever owned, but wanted to share it here because you all might like to hear how the groups tightened up. I bought this rifle because it's lightweight and portable for shooting events like Mammoth or some backpacking hunting trips.

When I got the gun I only had one kind of ammo on hand, Hornady 140gr ELD match. This particular rifle did not like that ammo at all and I mean we're talking pushing 2" groups at 100 yards. I reload, but all I have in stock is 140gr eld match and so I set out to work up a load. We found the tightest SD we could using the Satterlee method and a chronograph. The real magic came when I used an "Eric Cortina Tuner Muzzle Brake". I've never used a tuner before, but the rifle went from being on the shopping block and being sold, to a 3/4" gun that with scope/bipod/empty mag weighs in at 10#.

I don't expect to win the competition I'll be using this at, but I'm not going to embarrass myself either. For big game hunting in the wild it's more than accurate enough.

All I know is my buddy has a bergara HMR premier that was already shooting great and with the EC tuner brake he's got a one hole gun. I already bought another one of these tuner brakes for my 308 and I can't wait to see the results.

Attachments

• 20220901_232300.jpg
      20220901_232300.jpg
      856.9 KB · Views: 23

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    This is my sig cross in 6.5cm. It's not the most precise rifle I've ever owned, but wanted to share it here because you all might like to hear how the groups tightened up. I bought this rifle because it's lightweight and portable for shooting events like Mammoth or some backpacking hunting trips.

When I got the gun I only had one kind of ammo on hand, Hornady 140gr ELD match. This particular rifle did not like that ammo at all and I mean we're talking pushing 2" groups at 100 yards. I reload, but all I have in stock is 140gr eld match and so I set out to work up a load. We found the tightest SD we could using the Satterlee method and a chronograph. The real magic came when I used an "Eric Cortina Tuner Muzzle Brake". I've never used a tuner before, but the rifle went from being on the shopping block and being sold, to a 3/4" gun that with scope/bipod/empty mag weighs in at 10#.

I don't expect to win the competition I'll be using this at, but I'm not going to embarrass myself either. For big game hunting in the wild it's more than accurate enough.

All I know is my buddy has a bergara HMR premier that was already shooting great and with the EC tuner brake he's got a one hole gun. I already bought another one of these tuner brakes for my 308 and I can't wait to see the results.
    Tuners work, I have a savage mk2 that I use for our local rimfire becnchrest match. It was about an inch at 50 yards. I bought a shaft locking collar to act as a tuner, because im cheap. Systematically moving it a tenth of an inch at a time and finding that sweet spot cut the group's in half, with norma tac22.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Last one I swear. My current precision rifle: 308 Rem 700 with an older receiver sporting iron sight holes on its left side, a 17” Shilen medium heavy barrel, and a glass bedded McMillan fiberglass stock.
    View attachment 186331
    How do you like the barrel? I am looking a buying one to replace the barrel on my Savage FV .308. Will probably go with the heavy palma contour.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Updated my Savage 12FV project. The .223 barreled action is in now with a new Criterion. Vortex Golden Eagle on top as this is pretty much a dedicated target/varmint setup. Still using the GRS Bifrost and a Magpul bipod.

I've only just started load development, it seems to have some real potential but I've only shot one midrange match with it using a "guesstimate" load from a rough OAL workup.

E0m29Al.jpg

I have a thread protector on it now.

Edit: yes, the scope is right on the ragged edge of clearing.

wUYE3V1.jpg
    I am doing a build of the 12FV too in .308. Trying to decide between this barrel and the Shilen barrel. What contour did you go with? You happy with the accuracy?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I am doing a build of the 12FV too in .308. Trying to decide between this barrel and the Shilen barrel. What contour did you go with? You happy with the accuracy?
    I went with Varmint because it’s only .223. 26” 7tw for heavy bullets. The accuracy so far has been pretty solid. It’s not that it shoots amazing tiny bugholes, it’s that it never shoots badly. I shot an entire 50rd box of Geco 55fmj into 2” at 100y.

The borescope does show some bore flaws I was disappointed to see (flaws in the steel, not the machining or rifling). But it doesn’t seem to affect accuracy or cause fouling issues.

I still haven’t done proper load work ups, but it did do a 190-5x f class string at 600 using 88elds

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Howa 6.5CM in a KRG Bravo, factory 26" threaded barrel, Arken EP-5 scope. So far, I've only put 221 rounds through it and hoping to get quite a bit more time with it this winter, especially at the 300-yard line. I shot it to 500 yards earlier in the spring, but don't have anything recorded from that, so all of my data is only at 100 yards. Averaging 0.670" 5-shot groups out of 8 total groups with the load below. Not bad IMO for a lower priced rifle and having only a year of reloading experience.

20220207_214436.jpg

20221102_204303.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My other bolt gun I handload for, that I'm still learning with, is my Howa mini action in .223. It's an 18" heavy barrel factory threaded with a 1:8 twist. I have some data out to 300 yards but will be getting more soon. With 69 & 77 SMK, it's somewhere in the 0.6-0.7 moa range at 100 yards. I took about 6 months off from reloading over the warm months this year to focus on other things. The rifle sits in an MDT Oryx chassis with an Arken SH-4 scope.

20220406_190627.jpg

Some 77 SMK bullet seating depth tests back in February.

20220214_153613.jpg

Got a bit more data with 69 SMK. I'll be testing further with those and the above 77 SMK load as well.

20221119_203736.jpg

20220510_223532.jpg

Top Bottom